RETURN OF THE CABLE SHOOTOUT!

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
So for all you Sneapsters, here's PART DEUX:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/Cable Tests in Mix+ Test Files.zip

In this test, two sets of reamps were done to a backing track and recorded. One reamp was with Monster Cable, and one was with the Lava Soar cable. These are files "CABLE SHOOTOUT REAMP IN MIX A" and "CABLE SHOOTOUT REAMP IN MIX B". You can vote for which one sounds better. I will reveal results of which is which in fifty votes, like last time.

NOTE: THIS TEST, IN THE MIX, IS NOT GOING TO MATTER AS MUCH, BECAUSE PRE-TRACKED DIs RECORDED WITH BRAND WHATEVER CABLE WAS USED. THE GUITARS IN THIS TEST ALSO USED ACTIVE PICKUPS.

HOWEVER, there is still a difference in sound between the two clips; the only variable changed was the cabling.

Now, how can you be sure there is a difference in sound?

Well obviously, A PHASE REVERSAL TEST BETWEEN BOTH REAMPS WITH DIFFERENT CABLE. The file is named:

PHASE REVERSE- DIFFERENT REAMP_DIFFERENT CABLES

And so no one says "but every time you reamp, it sounds different, the phase won't perfectly reverse... ah but you are correct, so here is a PHASE REVERSE BETWEEN TWO REAMPS USING THE SAME CABLE. The file is named:

PHASE REVERSE- DIFFERENT REAMP_SAME CABLES

Take note at how there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in leftover noise from the two different cables being used for the reamp and phase reversed vs. the same cable being used in the reamp twice and being phase reversed.

FINALLY, to further reinforce the fact that the cable has a pretty hefty difference in frequency response, HERE IS BOTH PHASE REVERSED FILES PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED, with ONE OF THEM PHASE REVERSED. The file is named:

PHASE REVERSE- BOTH PHASE REVRSED_PHASE REVERSED

ALSO:

Here are two files of the guitar straight into the amp with said cable; no post processing, single 57.

Cable A:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/STRAIGHT IN CABLE A.wav
Cable B:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/STRAIGHT IN CABLE B.wav

It's also worthwhile to mention that I forgot to attach the poll, so just post which one you like better, Cable A or Cable B; they are also the same in the mix test at the top, and solo'd test right above this sentence.

Enjoy!

Greg

No accusation intended! The difference I hear here is 99.99% inaudible though, and .005% of that difference was probably placebo.

I prefer B for having a decibel or two less annoying 5khz...that's all I could hear from the guitars only clips on my reference monitors at home.

Care to add a very cheap DIY cable to the comparison?

Even with the minimal treatment I have in my room, coupled with BX8A monitors, I can hear a very definitive difference, in favor of A. It's pretty obvious to me, the mids and highs are just more clear, overall sound is less congested. I vote A as being the better/more expensive cable(s). (regarding the IN THE MIX files).

B definitely feels more organic while A has a very static feel to it. Also the sound in B seems to be more tight and focused being less muddy and less fizzy than A. For me the differences are huge. Even in the mix where B has a much better stereo image than A.

Thank you for your effort greg.

Definite difference. I think A has more highs but I like the lows of B better. I think they would both work just fine. I wouldn't change to either if I had one of them.

I prefer A. It has little brighter tone. The question is... That different tone is due to the cable or that this cable is reflecting better the original sound that goes out the source.

B sounds undergained compared to A, I feel like it's a matter that can be resolved by changing the amp gain and doing some post processing. Although A may still not end up sounding as clean as B, it shouldn't be too big of a deal for MOST people.
But I am thankful for Greg showing us these comparisons. While many of us here are small local producers, there are the handful of nationals who really have to focus on getting the best tone possible. Greg showed us that having better guitar cables are a factor and I appreciate that, so thanks Greg. :D