Reverb on guitars?

TimeGhost

New Metal Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hey guys,

I need to be schooled on reverb for heavy guitar. I know RVerb from Waves has some frequency saturation, and a bunch of other stuff I dont know how to use. Whats the standard for heavy guitar? Plate? Room? Hall? Short decay? What frequency to saturate, if any?

In short...no verb. Dry. If I use reverb on modern, heavy stuff, it's only the TINIEST amount...unless I'm going for some kind of effect. If I'm doing older, 80's rock/metal...now that's a different story.

Yeah reverb on main rhythm guitars isn't really something that helps anything out. Once in a very great while I will use a very slight room reverb to add some more liveness to like rock guitars or something, but other than that, reverb is a no-go for rhythms. I use reverb more often on leads though. Sometimes to get the really far away (think Opeth leads with the ebow) sound, or even just a cool room sound occasionally. Whatever is needed to get a particular sound, like anything else :)

~006

I disagree. Some good reverb can enhance the sound auf modelling-amps. Often they are way to dry an lacking in plasticity. Therefor it would not be amiss to give a few percent of some high quality IR-reverb on the guitars, like you would use an ambience-mic too add some room.

I tend to put a very little amount of reverb over the whole mix. I think it sounds like it glues the individual instruments together. So the rhythm guitars are getting a little reverb there, but i wouldn't put reverb on just the guitars. They should be pretty dry for the standard metal/ hardcore sound.

I never put reverb on heavy rhythms, ever. It can really take away from the "in-your-face" effect very quickly. I rarely even use it on leads, and instead, will use a good delay.

I've had some pretty decent results putting a an extremely short reverb sparingly on rhythm tracks. It's a subtle difference but it's definitely there. Sounds a little more 3 dimensional. For leads i would definitely agree with using a good delay, with maybe a touch of verb.

I think if the production is solid you wont need very much reverb if any at all .
In the past Ive used reverb to disguise a processed guitar tone or to smooth out the frequencies.
There's only one album I like that uses loads of reverb on guitar rhythm and that's "A blaze in the northern sky" by dark throne .

I'll stop there...only my 2nd post:loco:

well, make sure you take into account that a lot of Mastering guys use a little overall reverb in their processing. So, there may be times when you hear a record you like that sound like the guitars have a little or even a lot of reverb on them. When, in fact, there is most-likely NONE, except the overall verb put on in the Mastering stage.