Reverse reverb on vocals

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
I need to get that classic fade in style reverse reverb technique on a vocal. The word I want it to affect is "I", since its so short I think its being a problem. Ive tried doing what somebody said by reversing the word, reverb, reverse back.....but it basically did nothing at all. Help! :\

Try this (if your DAW supports the following techniques):
1. Take this "I" to a seperate audiotrack
2. Edit it directly (for example cubase: right click -> plug-in ->..., not via insert) with the reverb you want to have reversed later, make the reverb 100 % wet (so you only hear the reverb working, not the original "I")
3. Switch the track solo and make an audio-export of the I(reveeeeerb)-thing
4. Import it and reverse it, place the end under the original voice.

There are many ways to do this, but this was the easiest to illustrate I think.

Seb

If I need a reversed reverb in my DAW I usually do this (to keep it fast):
First copy the desired vocals into another track...
1) Open the SIR VST-Plugin and get a good sounding impulse into it.
2) Hit the reverse button.
3) Tell the DAW to move the audio-object just the exact amount of time (shown by the SIR).
4) Pull down the dry-volume. (You can get cool results by using VST-automation on the wet-volume.)

sir5big2ik4.gif

PS: Try to find an impulse-time that matches your beat (i.e. 0.5sec for 120bpm) - or cut the impulse - sometimes I even automate the stretch-parameter to get different timings :loco:

Have fun, Henning

I just dont get it. I thought it was gonna be simply, put reverb on process it then reverse it back....nope! Ive tried pretty much everything. After the processing I cant reverse it otherwise the phrase is the wrong way round.

The closest I can get is by putting the reverb on the clip, reversing it then bouncing it down. Its just not as long as I want It....well its as long as the word itself, any way of making it longer?

Think we've sorted it now, I put the verb on as a plug rather that direct, and exported it so it included the reverb tail, then reversed it.

I put the verb on as a plug rather that direct, and exported it so it included the reverb tail, then reversed it.

Almost the same as I suggested, but I wanted to just export the reverb, not the original "I", that´s the reason to do this direct-stuff.
Just tried it with Cubase and it´s own (pretty poor) "reverb A" plug, works fine.

You could also try to use the reverb-plugin-of-choice in the send-section of your audio-track (if provided by sonar, I´m not sure about this one) to play with it´s effect more easily.

Seb

Almost the same as I suggested, but I wanted to just export the reverb, not the original "I", that´s the reason to do this direct-stuff.
Just tried it with Cubase and it´s own (pretty poor) "reverb A" plug, works fine.

You could also try to use the reverb-plugin-of-choice in the send-section of your audio-track (if provided by sonar, I´m not sure about this one) to play with it´s effect more easily.

Seb

Hmm, when I tried that, I didn't hear any reverb tail after the I.

Edit :- It was cos I didn't have any silence after the "I" for the reverb, my mistake.

Er... the reason it wasn't sounding right is because the final product has the vocal reversed. You were doing it right to start with:

- Reverse the vocal part,
- Add the 'verb,
- Reverse again - then the vocal is playing the right way, and the reverb 'tail' is now a lead-in.

Whether you want a copy under the original, just the reverb on a seperate track or anything else is up to you, but the principle is the same.

One thing to keep an eye on though - if you split the track so the "I" is on it's own, you have to make sure the reverb actually has a tail (increasing the length of the clip), and doesn't cut off when that section of the track finishes. In the Sonitus reverb there's a button called 'tail' that does exactly that.

Steve

Er... the reason it wasn't sounding right is because the final product has the vocal reversed. You were doing it right to start with:

- Reverse the vocal part,
- Add the 'verb,
- Reverse again - then the vocal is playing the right way, and the reverb 'tail' is now a lead-in.

Whether you want a copy under the original, just the reverb on a seperate track or anything else is up to you, but the principle is the same.

One thing to keep an eye on though - if you split the track so the "I" is on it's own, you have to make sure the reverb actually has a tail (increasing the length of the clip), and doesn't cut off when that section of the track finishes. In the Sonitus reverb there's a button called 'tail' that does exactly that.

Steve

Yeah dude, that nailed it :)