Reversed Opeth Songs

ThepOpeth

If I am haunted..
Apr 26, 2008
Laredo Texas, USA
Anyone just reverse them for fun? Some actually indeed sound good/moving.

For example: Demon of the Fall reversed sounds really killer.

try it out if you have the time.

Did anyone ever actually figure out what song(s) are playing (reversed) in the intro to Demon of the Fall? I remember there's two different things coming from each speaker, but I don't think anyone actually figured out what was what.
From memory, one channel sounds like old Swedish death metal; maybe Hypocrisy or something. Can't quite remember though...

Did anyone ever actually figure out what song(s) are playing (reversed) in the intro to Demon of the Fall? I remember there's two different things coming from each speaker, but I don't think anyone actually figured out what was what.
From memory, one channel sounds like old Swedish death metal; maybe Hypocrisy or something. Can't quite remember though...

Yes, I did notice this, I would also like to know.

Nothing. There is nothing being played in reverse. I asked Lopez about it years ago. He told me to discuss it with Mike and said the answer was quite surprising. I ended up talking with Peter about it and he told me I could try asking Mike, but he's not one to really discuss the meaning behind his lyrics. So, I spoke with Mike and he said (something along these lines), "when we were recording the album at Fredmon there was another band recording at the time. We ended up picking up some weird noise through one of the mics during the process which became the intro for Demon of the Fall." I never thought to ask who was recording, but from what I was told, assuming its true, the intro to Demon is just background noise picked up during the recording.

When I asked the question to Lopez and Peter, I asked, "What was Mike saying during the intro to Demon of the Fall before the music starts?" and was told the above story. I always thought he was saying, "Help you bastard. Help me." I was shocked to find out I was way off the mark!

Nothing. There is nothing being played in reverse. I asked Lopez about it years ago. He told me to discuss it with Mike and said the answer was quite surprising. I ended up talking with Peter about it and he told me I could try asking Mike, but he's not one to really discuss the meaning behind his lyrics. So, I spoke with Mike and he said (something along these lines), "when we were recording the album at Fredmon there was another band recording at the time. We ended up picking up some weird noise through one of the mics during the process which became the intro for Demon of the Fall." I never thought to ask who was recording, but from what I was told, assuming its true, the intro to Demon is just background noise picked up during the recording.

When I asked the question to Lopez and Peter, I asked, "What was Mike saying during the intro to Demon of the Fall before the music starts?" and was told the above story. I always thought he was saying, "Help you bastard. Help me." I was shocked to find out I was way off the mark!

Wow thanks for this!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Katatonia was finishing the recording of Discouraged Ones during the first month Opeth was at the studio. Not to mention Mike was doing some backing vocals and did the co-production of vocals on Discouraged one. So, I've always assumed it was Katatonia on the intro. But, who knows?

You can hear the backwards lyrics section by going to youtube and searching for Opeth Hessian Peel. There's a few backwards versions of it on there. I reverse things using Pro Tools, however, that's not going to help you (unless you have the Pro Tools or M-audio hardware). You'll need some sort of audio mastering software to do it. I'm not sure if there are any free applications that has a reverse on it. But, there probably is somewhere.

Has anyone reverse Mellotron Heart to see what the reversed lyrics say (starts around 4:08 and goes for a while)?

yeah it's kinda lame he says
Out on the courtyard
Come back tonight
My sweet Satan
I see you

kinda ripoff of stairway to heaven in reverse? i thought it was lame jsut that part he could of said something more in depth not the boring satan thing lol

heres the link to the clip [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=TpuZu31lVN4[/ame]