Review of: In FLames - "Reroute to Remain"

I think most people tend to take reviews to seriously. While they are great for some insight you must remember to keep a open mind. The buzz around here and most underground metal places is that In Flames has/is gone/going nu(mainstream/MTV?). If thats the case I know I have enjoyed them when no one else really knew they were there, other then you all that is. So take all reviews with a grain of salt and listen for yourself.... never be led.....always lead.

-Sat

Originally posted by brewmaster

the band needs support? underground metal? even my little sister knows in flames and since they really want to be played on mtv i can´t count them as underground metal. if they play jazz or folk on their next album, will you still buy it because its in flames?

Buddy, like it or not, In Flames is still predominantly an underground band. Sure, a very well-known underground band, but just because METALHEADS know who they are doesn't make them mainstream, as you seem to imply. Go ask the average Korn listener if they know who In Flames is. And how do you know they want to be played on MTV? Did you have a personal conversation with Anders, Bjorn or Jesper? As far as whether or not I'll buy their next album if it's jazz, or folk, or jazz-folk. Yes, I will, because I have an open mind, apparently unlike you.

Clayman was bad enough.

If you compare it to new soilwork, then i'll definately steer clear of it. Soilwork died after steelbath, just as in flames died after whoracle

Well I guess from that review my prediction about In Flames came true.The Nu-Metal scene is infecting the trends even over sea's.Though Hypocrisy,In Flames,Soilwork(the swedish version of hoobstank) do create albums more worthy albums then Mudvayne or Slipknot.Why is it that bands like In Flames and Hypocrisy have droped the musical style that made them famous in the first place.In Flames being the first whom really found their musical style on albums like the Jester Race and Whoracle 2 classic albums.Then Hypocrisy whom finally found their style on the 4th Dimemsion album(also a classic in my mind)have droped making music worth a dam to less excessible music for money.Just like Slayer who reached their peak of extreme brutality on Divine Intervention along w/ ever classic album before that one.No wonder their isn't a resurgence in the death an black metal scene's.It's because bands mentioned in the above are straying further and further away from their roots and what got them into extreme music in the first place.

Originally posted by DICORIA666
Well I guess from that review my prediction about In Flames came true.The Nu-Metal scene is infecting the trends even over sea's.Though Hypocrisy,In Flames,Soilwork(the swedish version of hoobstank) do create albums more worthy albums then Mudvayne or Slipknot.Why is it that bands like In Flames and Hypocrisy have droped the musical style that made them famous in the first place.In Flames being the first whom really found their musical style on albums like the Jester Race and Whoracle 2 classic albums.Then Hypocrisy whom finally found their style on the 4th Dimemsion album(also a classic in my mind)have droped making music worth a dam to less excessible music for money.Just like Slayer who reached their peak of extreme brutality on Divine Intervention along w/ ever classic album before that one.No wonder their isn't a resurgence in the death an black metal scene's.It's because bands mentioned in the above are straying further and further away from their roots and what got them into extreme music in the first place.

i agree for the most part.

Originally posted by DICORIA666
Why is it that bands like In Flames and Hypocrisy have droped the musical style that made them famous in the first place.In Flames being the first whom really found their musical style on albums like the Jester Race and Whoracle 2 classic albums.Then Hypocrisy whom finally found their style on the 4th Dimemsion album(also a classic in my mind)have droped making music worth a dam to less excessible music for money.Just like Slayer who reached their peak of extreme brutality on Divine Intervention along w/ ever classic album before that one.No wonder their isn't a resurgence in the death an black metal scene's.It's because bands mentioned in the above are straying further and further away from their roots and what got them into extreme music in the first place.

They'd make more money flipping burgers. And Divine Intervention is Slayer's worst album.

And what you're all judging is the leaked I take it, which is an early mix.

Originally posted by markgugs

Buddy, like it or not, In Flames is still predominantly an underground band. Sure, a very well-known underground band, but just because METALHEADS know who they are doesn't make them mainstream, as you seem to imply. Go ask the average Korn listener if they know who In Flames is.

Most of them will say yes. Some of them will have even heard something from Clayman.

I got this album last week and listened to it a couple times. The first time I heard it, I was a little eh... ok. But after listening to it again a little more closely, I think it's a damn good album. It just takes getting used to since it doesn't have the same sound as the last two. But you can be sure this band won't sell out as long as Jesper Stromblad is in the band. He is just the master of thrash metal, and is a great musician. Just listen to Dimension Zero's "Silent Night Fever" to see what I mean. Just listen to the album with an open mind.

Ain't it ironic how everytime a european metal band gets discovered by the american crowd, they immediately get deemed "sell outs" by the same crowd with the next record.

Who's fault is that? The band's "greed" or the american crowd's dumbness?

Can't you americans get over the image crap and let music be music without labels and baggage?

Originally posted by Sublevels
Ain't it ironic how everytime a european metal band gets discovered by the american crowd, they immediately get deemed "sell outs" by the same crowd with the next record.

Who's fault is that? The band's "greed" or the american crowd's dumbness?

Can't you americans get over the image crap and let music be music without labels and baggage?

You're a fucking idiot. Go away.

Why is it always Americans' fault? If I'm not mistaken, it is the Europeans who lael music. In fact, Terrorizer Magazine (European) coined the Nu-metal term.

HEY, what happened with In Flames, who I admired....what happened to In Flames who inspired me, what happened to them who gave me new hope in music, what happened to the guys who played guitar like hell, what happened to them???

In Flames is THE reason why i started playing guitar.........PLEASE keep up with your die hard fans!!

leme start bye saying Iv got nothing agaisnt inflames....

though iv never been a fan or found myself to be hugly intrested in the band... iv enjoyed over a dozen of there good songs, and thought there first few cd's were quite good...

but to tell it how it is... this album is 1/10 at best... when i downloaded it i couldnt belive how laughable it was, symple music any pop band could write, gimiky pop lyrics (of the ones i payed attention too anyway) totaly forgettable riff,s not to mention simple as hell. and the worst production of a 'socalled " metal album iv ever heard in my life

1/10, and thats at best...
stear clear of this album at all costs....

all you that give it higher ratings, your all kidding yourselfs,lets be honist...

if you enjoy the band go get there back albums even clayman is a huge step over this pile of...

well you get the idea.

-(the allways honist)Necromancer
:) :) :)

This is a good album I don't know what you guys are all talking about. It didn't hit me at first , but after a few listens it grew on me. A slightly different sound for them; more power chord riffs, less dual guitar harmonies, and more clean vocals. Not my favorite album by them, but overall a great release. 7/10

I'm not a really big fan of the band but when I got RTR I listened to it quite a few times and I must say that I agree with most oh what the people said here. It's definitely not an extremely good album (in my opinion the last masterpiece of In Flames was Whoracle), but it's a decent album that's quite fun to listen to and has some very good songs. So in that aspect I'm not really disappointed. On the other hand I can understand that a fan of the band (something I am not) may expect more from his favorite band. I can't say that IF have totally jumped on the nu-metal train, there are some influences but I wouldn't go that far as to compare them with Slipknot, Korn etc. They're still a decent melodic "death" metal band but honestly I don't think they'll ever release an album as good as Whoracle or Jester Race. It depends on what you expect from them. So I'll go with the majority here and I'll give the album 7/10 (i liked "Dawn Of A New Day" and "Metaphor" a lot though).