Reviews for "The Unsettling Dark" LP

http://deathdoom.freeforums.org/martriden-the-unsettling-dark-t171.html#183

MARTRIDEN
"The Unsettling Dark"

The highly thought of Martriden have unleashed upon us their new album "The Unsettling Dark", a record that truly lives up to it's name in both mood and sound. Mixing Black Metal with Some Death Metal too, Martriden have perfected their sound through many hours practice and performing and now have the ability to unleash hell with their music. "The Unsettling Dark" creates the most barron depressive mood whilst at the same time being totally in your face and frantic, a heavy piledriver of an album intent on destruction. Simply for added effect and style, Martriden have a truly dramatci side as demonstrated in Ascension Part & 2, adding great variance to their sound. Martriden have unleashed the beast, and it sounds great!! brutality personified!!

DDDD

MARTRIDEN
THE UNSETTLING DARK
(CANDLELIGHT)
KKKK
MONTANA METAL MONSTERS HIT THE GROUND RUNNING WITH DEVASTATING FULL-LENGTH DEBUT.
YOU ONLY have to look through the history books to see that - be it middle America or northernmost Scandinavia - some of the most remote places in the world can produce some of the most visceral music. Blending the barbarity of death metal with the elevated extremity of black metal, the debut album from Montana's Martriden does little to break such traditions. Although utterly ferocious throughout, what stands out most here is that there's a sense of purpose to such chaos. A genuine thought to their racket that's obvious by both the structuring and performance of their songs, providing further proof that extreme music can be both beautiful and dynamic.
DOWNLOAD: The Calling.
FOR FANS OF: Enslaved, Bloodbath.
RYAN BIRD

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/reviews.php?revid=3757

Martriden are a young band from Montana on their way up. I was pleasantly surprised by their debut EP last year. I don't know what I was expecting, but these guys vomited up a toxic Death/Black hybrid with blistering musicianship and heavy-assed shredding. Now we have their debut full-length, and it kicks as much ass as I had hoped for.

Martriden sit firmly in line with masters of their genre like Behemoth, in fact Behemoth are probably the best reference point here. Martriden are similarly aggressive and musically precise, without all the blasting and studio overwork that has marred Behemoth's last few albums. This is a heavy, vicious assault of speed and aggression marked by spot-on playing and inventive compositions that push this band above the ordinary. Vocals are rather one-dimensional, but they don't distract from the cascade of murderous riffage. This is an album that is visceral enough to be instantly gratifying, but with enough depth to aspire to something a bit above simple genre work. Martriden have put out the best debut so far this year, and are definitely a band to watch. Highly Recommended.

http://www.exclaim.ca/musicreviews/generalreview.aspx?csid1=119&csid2=846&fid1=29834

Montana isn’t exactly a hotbed of extreme music. Martiden, an outfit from the northern state, are a group that provides a sound as vast as Montana’s open spaces with just their first kick at the can. The band’s full-length debut, The Unsettling Dark, is a fantastically brutal journey that fuses the vicious sounds of black and death metal into the mash up genre perfected by acts like Behemoth. The Unsettling Dark is best compared to those Polish powerhouses, as Matriden also use death metal-style guitar and drum work, with hints of epic keyboard lines and blackened vocals. Emperor are an obvious influence for this young band (most of whom are in their early 20s) as well, so much so that Ihsahn and company caught wind of the band and had them open for the legendary Norwegians when they played selected dates in the U.S. Matriden also throw in a few nice moments of variety. While maintaining a ferocious pace for the vast majority of the record, there are small, folk-inspired moments that are obvious salutes to Enslaved. Throw in a guest appearance from Testament thrasher James Murphy and the outcome is a stunning debut from a band with a sound years beyond their age. (Candlelight USA)

http://www.metalreviews.com/

Let’s ponder a quick and rather rhetorical question for a second – is it a compliment to an American band that their sound is distinctly European? Holding neither side nor any stake in this debate, I’d say, yes, as long as the music is good. The latter worry is put to bed by the Havre’s, Montana, Martriden. The band really upped the ante and delivered on a promise of the last year’s EP. The Unsettling Dark is a strong full-length blackened death affair, even if it is a little predictable in its development based on the EP. Forever dubbed in my mind as “little Emperor from Montana”, Martriden is a boon for those longing for Behemoth and Crionics to emerge on this side of the planet.

The band is successful, because they have the innate quality of colliding eerie melodies and unabashed death/thrash powerfully produced by Denver’s own Dave Otero (Serberus, RIP). Horns led symphonies meet hammering riffs (The Calling) and when the whirlwind slows down powerful demonic procession closes The Enigma of Fate. This is both unsettling and dark, indeed. The title could not have been selected any better, the title track itself has almost trademark keyboards by Kyle Howard floating atop of the slower doomy opening and breakdowns full of interesting drumming patterns.

Without losing the certain degree of nastiness and brute force, Processional for the Hellfire Chariot is quite savage and lunging, Martriden improved in the songwriting department, delivering songs less involved, but no less melodic and even more cleverly arranged than before. The band’s melodies have a perfect quality to mess with your head, especially if they are as bold and fiendishly poetic as their take on Rachmaninoff’s Prelude in C-sharp minor (Prelude). A Season in Hell has another overt melody building on just cited Russian composer’s genius, dissolving into acoustic outro and requiem moments. On the other hand, Ascension Pt.2 is practically awash in Dark Tranquillity acoustic melodic swell, which grows strong and surprisingly sunny and major, as opposed to Ascension Pt.1 ending on a rather crushing note albeit with a harmonized scaly lead.

Although it seems that a number of the bands playing this genre have emerged as of late, Martriden should be able to hold their own, without any need for Dimmu Borgir theatrics or facepaint of any kind. The perfect record length and an ability to insert the instrumental, so to give the listener a breather, make for an easy record to digest on the first try. At the same time further appreciation is developed for The Unsettling Dark if more listens are given, me personally focusing both on Kyle’s synth arrangements and drumming, which, as far as I understand was executed by Jeremy Portz, Dave Otero’s hired gun from the days of Serberus and Throcult. Michael Cook’s vocals also seem to be a good fit, his growl is scaled back from the EP, favoring a little higher pitch, with again some multitracking of the vocals delivering an interesting effect.

Totally fulfilling my and, perhaps, their own, expectations Martriden is playing quality metal inspired by equal part Emperor and Covenant (up to Nexus Polaris). Unfit for the kvlt and bedroom BM lovers, The Unsettling Dark does not falsely pretend and is plenty furious to get the blood boiling.

Killing Songs : Ascension Pt.1, Prelude, The Enigma of Fate, The Calling

http://www.heathenharvest.com/article.php?story=20080229203434704&filter=m&page=4

Martriden - The Unsettling Dark
Saturday, March 01 2008 @ 12:00 AM PST
Contributed by: Sage

The Unsettling Dark

Artist: Martriden United States

Title: The Unsettling Dark

Label: Candlelight Records United Kingdom
Genre: Blackened Death Metal

01 Intro
02 The Enigma of Fate
03 The Calling
04 Ascension Pt. I
05 Ascension Pt. II
06 Processional for Hellfire Chariot
07 The Unsettling Dark
08 Prelude
09 A Season in Hell
10 Immaculate Perception

Oh christ above, I'm so glad I don't believe in you, because if I did my faith would probably force me to pass up absolute masterpieces like this impressive debut full-length from Martriden. I was already on this band's nuts (not literally speaking) after the release of their Self-titled EP last year. I remember receiving that beast and flipping out because the band was a black metal project dead center in the middle of nowhere, Montana. Then I actually listened to it and practically died at the fact that America is housing such an abomination on the face of god. Then only a few months later we receive this. What's a journalist to do other than cream his pants in pure excitement?

Nothing has really changed involving the band since the review on their self-titled EP, except for perhaps the fact that they've learned the art of absolutely bone-crushing riffs to go along with that strong black metal hybrid they were playing before. If its possible, they've managed to put the balls back into the now decayed and worthless US black metal scene. The thanks can namely be laid down to Kyle Howard and his amazing riff progressions combined with his brilliantly placed minimal keyboard backings. The album is more or less rhythm based, but as with the EP, there are moments when the guitar really breaks out of its cage and more or less gashes your flesh with iced over Montana glacial stone.

The sound is amazingly thick as well. I don't know if someone in the band has gone to school to be a sound engineer or what, but the productions is quite remarkable when compared to many of the newer releases pushed out these days. There are so many small elements that can be heard pretty precisely which tell me the band somehow avoided the new over-compression trend in music which is uncommon in metal, and itreally gives the sound a new experience. Its like a slightly less fast but more brutal Arsis with better sound production quality.

So with this release it seems to me that somehow the American scene has some how managed to make its way back into the foreground of the metal world. With amazing band out there today like Martriden, Arsis, Agalloch, Xasthur, Estuary, and Ceremonial Castings, its only a matter of time before America reclaims its crown in the metal scene when we lost it way back when Chuck Schuldiner died. Hails to you Martriden, you may be the new guys on the metal front, but you're keeping our “American Metal Dream” alive almost single handedly. Kudos.

http://www.deadtide.com/reviews/albums/page.php?id=4433 :headbang:

Sometimes the best metal comes from the most unlikely places. For example, earlier I was working on a review for Taak, a KILLER traditional metal group with lots of doom influence and cult-ish organs from... Estonia? Along those same lines, The Unsettling Dark is a crushingly heavy, progressive, blackened death album from a band out of... Montana? Whodathunkit?

Martriden indeed hails from none other than The Treasure State, but their sound is something like melding the fierce melodicism and musicianship of the Euro scene with a uniquely American sense of pulverising power. I'm talking about Arsis and Rwake getting together to write the next Opeth album with Emperor supervising.

So yea, what we have here is 10 tracks of gloriously sweeping song structures laced with everything from techy, cyclic riffing, to chunky beatdowns to Mithras-like atmospherics and so on. I'm frequently reminded of a speedier, nastier version of Gojira. The sound is anchored by a MASSIVE drum perfomance. I say massive because despite being impressive from a technical standpoint, the sheer pummeling the drums offer is what really stands out in the performance. Of course, the crushing Dave Otero production job lends itself nicely to the band's sound.

Ever since the opening notes of Martriden's self-titled debut EP, I, like many others, have been frothing at the mouth to see what this young (all in their early 20's) band could do with a full-length. I'm not disappointed one bit. I know it's early (still only February), but I'm gonna go ahead and pencil this in on my best of 2008 list and barring a banner year, it will probably end up being written in a big fat black magic marker.
Standout Tracks

The Enigma of Fate
The Calling
The Unsettling Dark
A Season in Hell

http://www.hardcoresounds.net/modules.php?name=Band_List&file=cdviewer&func=3877

THE REVIEW:

The beasts of Montana are back! Martriden, who popped up into the metal scene with their promising 4-song EP last year have returned with their debut album titled “The Unsettling Dark” which will be released on March 5th through Candlelight Records.

Usually the only “good” bands in my opinion in melodic death / black metal come from Scandinavia. Acts like Dimmu Borgir and Dark Tranquillity have always been close to my heart so when I saw the info sheet stating Martriden to sound a bit similar, I got immediately curious about the band´s effort. When after this I put the group´s debut album “The Unsettling Dark” into my CD-player, I immediately noticed from the first notes of the “Intro” that you expect nothing else than hell of a ride. When the “Intro” lets loose the album just grabs the listener´s attention with the first symphonic black metal attack titled “The Enigma Of Hate”. Already the first track gives the album a true Scandinavian metal feel and even though bands like Opeth, Dimmu Borgir and Enslaved could be mentioned as their influences music wisely, Martriden is a group going their own path. “The Unsettling Dark” is full of maniac blast beats, venomous black metal vocals and guitar riffs that gives you shivers. Vocalist Michael Cook has really diverse and satanic voice that is like a combination of Dimmu Borgir, Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy vocalists. What brings Opeth to my mind is the progressive and extremely technical guitar riffs in “The Ascension Part 2”. Despite from their young age these guys can really create amazing tunes that get stuck into your head for good. The haunting keyboards within the title track “The Settling Dark” just spices up the already delicious soup offering the extreme metal fans a musical journey not to miss. This time I am not going to mention any highlights within the album because the whole album is one big highlight.

With “The Unsettling Dark” Martriden definitely shows that Scandinavian people aren´t the only ones capable of making great melodic death / black metal. From the majestic and powerful opening notes of “Intro” to the ending “Immaculate Perception” Martriden offers an extremely metal fueled album that is about to explode your mind. If you enjoy listening to Scandinavian metal acts such as Dimmu Borgir, Dark Tranquillity or even Opeth, this is an album you just can´t pass. Definitely one of the best melodic death / black metal albums that has come out in 2008 yet. Fucking amazing!

http://www.unboundzine.com/nr172.html

Managing to create a heavy and interesting style of blackened death metal, Martriden have a sound that is nuanced, hard hitting and ridiculously well played. Heavy rhythmic guitars, clash with atmospheric melody and a raspy vocal approach. This is one of the most interesting extreme metal albums I have heard in some time.

The sound of the album is somewhere in between Opeth, Strapping Young Lad and Behemoth. On one hand the band is extremely heavy yet the band isnt afraid to experiment. There is a lot of melody explored, and the band doesnt get caught up in trying to be extremely fast. In reality this really isnt all that fast. There are fast moments, but the majority of the album is more midpaced helping to make the songs quite memorable.

While the music certainly is blackened, this really isn't a black metal album. There are elements of pretty much every subgenre on display with even a slight metalcore feel coming through in a few songs. What I really like is the fact that the band can make any riff work within their sound. Whether it's a more Swedish type riff or even a rock like riff, it works within the context of the song. This is so much more than just tremolo picking and blast beats. Call it an artistic take on extreme metal if you will.

For their debut album Martriden never come stumble. This is a well written and varied slab of extreme metal that never backs itself into a corner. It usually takes a number of albums before a band reaches a level of songwriting prowess like this. If you like your metal extremely heavy yet varied, this one is for you.