Revisiting the Black Album

CJWall

Oct 21, 2005
Southwest Florida, USA
ahhh, i hadn't listened to this record since becoming obsessed with everything audio, so I popped it in the other day and I haven't stop listening since. absolutely STUNNING sounding. i was blown away. totally auditory rape.

the drums are out of this world, that snare/kick combo is soo slamming! same with the guitars. amazing.

to anyone that hasn't heard it in a while, pop it in and listen in awe :)

i never really took a proper listen to this album just because of me not being the biggest metallica fan, but damn.

i can only imagine the buzz around this record when it was released.

Just a couple of days ago, me and band mates were talking about it. It's 16 years since it was released and it still sounds great. Take any other album from that year and you'll notice the difference.

The black album is the reason why St Anger pisses me off even more than the fact that it's total pap musically. Sonically perfect for me. Little would I know 11/12 years later, Lars would have ditched his fat snare in favour of a rusty old bin lid.

I remember the first time I watched that "year and a half" video and I just kept rewinding over and over the bit where Hetfield's double (probably decatracking) the Wherever I May Roam bridge riff.

If there were such thing as God, it would be James Hetfield's guitar tone 1988-1993.

I hate the Black album. It sounds really nice, and Bob Rock is great...but the songs suck compared to MOP and RTL - at least from a true metal standpoint. The was the end for me and Metallica. Someone stole my cassette back in '91 and I never replaced it. But my wife owns it on CD...

When non-metal chicks dig it, I'm out.

I hate the Black album. It sounds really nice, and Bob Rock is great...but the songs suck compared to MOP and RTL - at least from a true metal standpoint. The was the end for me and Metallica. Someone stole my cassette back in '91 and I never replaced it. But my wife owns it on CD...

I'm with you. I remember using by CD to block the pocket of a pool table, and smashing it over and over.

My wife has it, so I could listen to it if I wanted, but why?

I'm with you. I remember using by CD to block the pocket of a pool table, and smashing it over and over.

My wife has it, so I could listen to it if I wanted, but why?

:heh:

I like to be in America
Okay by me in America
Everything free in America
For a small fee in America

'Nuff said.

It sounds really nice, and Bob Rock is great...but the songs suck compared to MOP and RTL - at least from a true metal standpoint.

Yeah, I liked it when it came out but was disappointed that they went the more commercial rock route. Crap compared to everything before it. Still though I accepted it and got into it. Then right afterwards they exploded and became a household name and everyone and their mother was into it. That's when I said, "ok, I'm done".
I admit I do like the rock side of them but there's this resentment that comes with it for me for letting their thrash fans down. Been waiting for the next RTL or MOP since. Still waiting...
To bad it's not gonna happen.
I can't picture James going back to that vocal style ever again. :cry: :cry:

Black album commertial? I thought they went commertial AFTER the Black album, everything after that has gone downhill IMO. I prefer the creative songs and the production of the Black album. Too me it wins over Master of Puppets and Ill be dammned if somebody agrees with me :p

I feel like slapping a compressor over the entire album to bring those damn drums down in level. All I can hear is *click* *SNAP!* *click* *SNAP!* with possibly some slight hint of dull rectifier on both sides.

Aside from that, I agree. It's a great production and seems to have set the standard for a lot of modern metal material. I suppose given 9 months in one of the best studios around, you'd expect something landmark.