Reviw of RETURN OF THE KING

shadow walker

Sep 11, 2003
pennsylvania
Visit site
so there i was, 32 years old setting with two of my fellow workers-believe it or not a State Trooper and a SWAT SGT. among about 250 geeks! There was also an Orc a Uri-Ki and dozens of hobbits, not one Gandalph!! odd!
So im into this big geek gab with these kids around me right, we're talking about R.O.T.K and Episode 3 and all that cool shit when the lights dimmed i stood and screamed at the top of my lungs "THERE WILL BE NO DAWN FOR MAN!!!!" The place erupted with laughter and my co-workers looked at me and said "you know, we've always been afraid of you!!"

no spoilers.

the city of Minas Tirith looks awesome on big screen.
the dead soliders of old were probablly my favorite.
the Mumakil or Oliphants were devistating.
Gollum/Smegal's charecter was played out so damn well.
i got a " RUDY, RUDY, RUDY" chant going for Samwise Gamgee too!
The battles were off the charts ALL of them were just a joy to watch, in scale size and in close up charecter, there is something about fighting with swords that just gives me wood...to much info huh? ok!

In a nut shell.....look at me im in a nut shell, sorry lil Austin Powers for you there.. I am a huge Star wars fan, huge! this blows Episodes 1 and 2 out of the water.....and dare i say it....it is also better then RETURN OF THE JEDI! as for Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.....it is AS good!

It will get my vote for movie of the year, i dont see anything beating it!!! :worship:

A fitting end to a brilliantly told story.
The Battle of Minas Tirith was astounding, the floor rumbled during that entire scene...
Besides the brilliant directing, the movie was made by the genius casting...
Sean Astin makes you forget about Encino Man (I liked it... guilty pleasure and all), with his performance in this movie...
Andy Serkis as Gollum and a pre-ring Smeagol, stole the show again.
Viggo Mortessen owned the role of Aragorn, and can you believe he wasn't the person originally cast? He came in about 2 months into filming, after Stuart Townsend got fired...
Ian McKellen just fucking rules... (Check out Richard III or either of the Xmen movies)
Miranda Ott, who plays Eowyn, got the biggest cheer from the crowd tonight. She does quite a bit, with VERY LITTLE screentime, and has the key scene during the Minas Tirith battle.
Elijah Wood will be known as Frodo Baggins for the rest of his days :)

One teeny complaint...
the ending was WAY TOO LONG... too many endings... but all in all... Brilliant... I see many movies each year, and this is by far, the best (after Bubba Ho-Tep)...

Saw the trailer for SpiderMan 2... Raimi sure knows how to tease :) :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Keyser Soze said:
A fitting end to a brilliantly told story.
The Battle of Minas Tirith was astounding, the floor rumbled during that entire scene...
Besides the brilliant directing, the movie was made by the genius casting...
Sean Astin makes you forget about Encino Man (I liked it... guilty pleasure and all), with his performance in this movie...
Andy Serkis as Gollum and a pre-ring Smeagol, stole the show again.
Viggo Mortessen owned the role of Aragorn, and can you believe he wasn't the person originally cast? He came in about 2 months into filming, after Stuart Townsend got fired...
Ian McKellen just fucking rules... (Check out Richard III or either of the Xmen movies)
Miranda Ott, who plays Eowyn, got the biggest cheer from the crowd tonight. She does quite a bit, with VERY LITTLE screentime, and has the key scene during the Minas Tirith battle.
Elijah Wood will be known as Frodo Baggins for the rest of his days :)

One teeny complaint...
the ending was WAY TOO LONG... too many endings... but all in all... Brilliant... I see many movies each year, and this is by far, the best (after Bubba Ho-Tep)...

Saw the trailer for SpiderMan 2... Raimi sure knows how to tease :) :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

anything done for 3 hours is to long i agree!
i forgot to mention Miranda Ott, she is unreal.
spidy 2 should be good, Doc Oc is one of my favs.
you may think im gay but the Butterfly effect looks ok.
Viggo's horse movie Eldago or something should be good.
The Punisher was already made and i dont see this one doing much, but i could be wrong cause MARVEL is doing it.

took my 5 year old to see R.O.T.K yesterday at 4:00, he sat on the edge of his seat the whole movie asking me questions-(i thought back to my star wars days and how my parents were asked the same questions and had no clue of how to answer them, i thought, wow! im a cool dad!) but he watched the whole movie!!!! 3 hours and didnt flinch, that says alot.

That is the one thing that will freak me out about my favorite book saga, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. There's just so much that I have already in my head about those 4 books that I've read (and I'll be getting book 5 this weekend since it's finally out) that I almost don't want to see them make a movie of it unless Stephen King directs it and has full say over it's production. Of course, that would make each book a movie about 6 hours long. :ill:

dude, I love the Dark Tower series! in fact, 99% of my book colection is Stephen King. I think that is why movies from books generally suck, you already have a preconcieved notion about everything going on, and the movies are someone elses interpretation.

Alright, I just got done watching Fellowship of the Ring. (I borrowed it from one of the guys I work with.) It was good. I'll probably see The Two Towers next and then the new one, but probably not until I finish reading Dark Tower V. There's just some epic sagas that shall not be passed up first. :cool:

For those that are Stephen King fans, Dark Tower VI will be out in February and Dark Tower VII will be out at the end of 2004.