Rick Rubin

I like the idea of the original, raw and angry sound, and it fits the songs and the mood well. My main gripe is that the songs really should have been edited down, a LOT. James has even said that upon reflection he wished they had made it shorter. If it was more punchy and to the point, it would deliver it's message much more effectively, but some songs are just so dragged out that it makes you resent the production so much, especially without solos and leads to make interludes and bridges interesting. It should be a 40 to 50 minute album, not a 70 to 80 minute album.
Also, I have heard live versions of some songs like Frantic and Dirty Window that sounded much tighter than they do on the album, and Kirk throws in some leads and solos, and it made the songs sound to much more dynamic.
St Anger is a very flawed attempt at what could have been an absolute classic. That said, there is still some great stuff in there if you can be bothered finding it.

St. Anger is a great album - but undoubtedly their weakest effort yet.

Frantic, My World, Sweet Amber, All Within My Hands = some of the best songs Metallica has written I think. I don't mind the production except for Dirty Window where the snare is just too much.

It could have done with some editing as well.

Also, I see the Loads as metal albums. Big fat chunky bluesy groove metal... I don't hear the grungey rock at all. Maybe it's just me.

Can't wait for the newy :headbang:

(they're still in writing mode, haven't even started recording... I think this next one will be an absolute corker!)

Yeah, James is very grey. Looks... distinguished? Haha.

I was watching Cunning Stunts the other night, and realised that it is the best concert DVD ever. I mean the production values are so awesome... the lighting, the atmosphere... just everything is so smooth. Especially going from the bass/guitar doodle into NEM... that was MAGIC. And the best ever version of Fade to Black ever, especially when the middle bit kicks in.

What was my point again? Oh yeah... I realised how fucking cool Kirk looked in that. The short hair really suited him more than this chin length thing he's going on right now. Really good look I thought - and fuck he oozes style when playing as well. Reminded me why he's one of my all time favourite guitarists and metal personalities in general :headbang:

I think James looks good at the moment, I would actually like to get a good look at the artwork he has plastered on him these days, because I know he does alot of his own art

Yeah, go the grey beard :headbang: He has probably just stopped colouring his hair or something, you don't go that grey over night

What recent photos? The newest I could see are the Studio report from Feb