Rick Rubin to produce next Metallica album

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
This is getting amusing now. Why arent they free to make the music they want? Why is it such a bad thing to, after proving themselves as a "heavy metal" band, try other avenues of creativity? It is just as much as "selling out" to be comercially accessable, as it is to NOT in fear of losing your fan base (IE PANTERA). WHo cares who taught who how to play metal? The act is they still made killer albums to the metal community, then in 1990 in the "rock" community. Who followed whom? Check your album timeline, Megadeth's "changes" damn near coincide with Metallica up until Youthanasia when Dave realized that chasing Metallica was a fools game. Case in point, lame or not, Metallica was a defining band up until about 1990. Then they because a "business" per se.
The way I hear it is that alot of the record companys were pushing all of their bands to go "alternitive" at the time.

WOW!! The only thing that I think that kirk did wrong was ripping off HIS old band EXODUS any ol banger will remember Exodus had a song called "Die By His Hand" which kirk played on & if I remember correctly one of the guys in Exodus (not sure who) was pissed off at the time that Kirk did this Without even asking Exodus to use that song (not even giving them credit) I'm not sure how they (any Exodus past & or present members) are feeling now.:headbang: Thats if my memory is right.:err:

Metal Thrashing Mark said:
WOW!! The only thing that I think that kirk did wrong was ripping off HIS old band EXODUS any ol banger will remember Exodus had a song called "Die By His Hand" which kirk played on & if I remember correctly one of the guys in Exodus (not sure who) was pissed off at the time that Kirk did this Without even asking Exodus to use that song (not even giving them credit) I'm not sure how they (any Exodus past & or present members) are feeling now.:headbang: Thats if my memory is right.:err:
Kirk wrote it.

Drokk said:
You're just riding the "hate Lars/Bob Rock" bandwagon. Hetfield wrote Load and Reload. Period. Bob was just there to turn the knobs. Why blame him for playing the music he wants to play? To me there's more passion on all of Load then a single bar of Slipknot's Vol. 3, which was produced by Rubin. And calling it "selling out" or whatever bullshit is blind and naive; even before the black album they could have done anything they wanted. Why would Rick Rubin of all people guarantee a return to anything? I don't get that. They weren't a business before 1990? You must be kidding. So they self-produced and self-managed everything until then?

I agree with what you said about fans' reaction to a band changing style--I should say, EVOLVING.

The bad thing with font, is that there really isnt a good way to convey sarcasm in the extent that I wanted. Personally, I dont think Lars is an ass, no ill will towards him. As for Bob? Good producer, but I was one of those "what the hell happened" people after the Black album. I now stand corrected on several statements I made from back then. I also agree that there is more emotion on Load and Reload than any before that. Just not my first choice of 'tallica records to listen to.

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
The bad thing with font, is that there really isnt a good way to convey sarcasm in the extent that I wanted. Personally, I dont think Lars is an ass, no ill will towards him. As for Bob? Good producer, but I was one of those "what the hell happened" people after the Black album. I now stand corrected on several statements I made from back then. I also agree that there is more emotion on Load and Reload than any before that. Just not my first choice of 'tallica records to listen to.
Cool, I get you. Can't blame you for that; I'll be the first to say that aren't easy records to like. After St. Anger and their "we love this record" shit I don't have high expectations (and I don't dislike St. Anger all that much), Rubin notwithstanding (again, look at Slipknot). I think Ross Robinson would be a good producer; maybe get more intensity out of them than Rubin can.

Am I the only one who thinks that these days Hetfield looks practically identical to a young Tom Waits? Now THAT'S metal! :lol:

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Not really.

I'm not sure of what exactly brought to (or took away from) Metallica. But I know that Load/Re-load and St. Anger has a really shitty sound. Any live recording would have been better.
I disagree about Load/Reload.

yeah man, Exodus is involved in that whole shit storm too. Metallica used to fucking joke about that shit, too. That is soooo low. Stealing peoples shit, making a name off it, not giving them any credit and then making jokes about them. That is such a shitty way to be. Exodus, in my opinion, is one of the best Thrash bands of all time. They are STILL making awesome music that shreds like crazy - and they get no props at all anymore. They were left out of the "Big" thrash bands, but I think they belong there. Even today, through all the bullshit and lineup problems, Gary has managed to keep things going. AND keep things sounding KILLER. More then I can say about a couple of the guys from Metallica.

I like Rick Rubin, but, I don't know if this will do him or Metallica any good. Prove me wrong! I would love nothing more then to hear some remnace of the way things used to be!

I think james looks like a throw-back from the late 60's era greasers. Which isnt bad, I am into cars and shit, and think the look is cool an an extent. As for Exodus, I never really got into them. I was a fan on and off and listened to a few songs here and there (I own 2 of their albums but I could not tell you the names), but mostly the vox is a throw-off. The music is good, very good, I like what i hear, but the vocals just bug me. Much like alot of ya'll dont dig Hetfield now. I rank Exodus alongside of Overkill. Good band, good music, just the vox dont "do it" for me. And as far as stealing anything in metal goes.....

Everyone in metal should pay royalties to Black Sabbth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Motorhead because they wrote every good goddamn riff there ever was.

strik9 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that these days Hetfield looks practically identical to a young Tom Waits? Now THAT'S metal! :lol:

No that you mention it he sure does.

Thrillho said:
I would love nothing more then to hear some remnants of the way things used to be!
Yeah, right. When pigs fly! Time to move on.