Produced by... Anthrax

In your opinion, how would you like the new Anthrax album to sound, and, who would you like to produce (and mix) it?
Rick Rubin, Andy Sneap, Chris Tsangarides, Neil Kernon, Colin Richardson, Mutt Lange, Rob Caggiano, Desmond Child... ? o_O :lol:

Also, which is your favorite Thrax album, production-wise?

To me, the best sounding Anthrax album is Stomp 442...
I love the crunchiness of that sound. Vol.8 is also up there.

Reactions: dailyvault
Best damn question I've seen on this board in a long time...

I would hate to see Desmond Child produce the disc - last thing Anthrax needs is a pop-oriented sound to the production. I don't see "Mutt" fitting in either, simply because he's note-for-note, and I think that would collide with the way Anthrax plays music.

Neil Kernon would be a good choice - one of the legends, IMHO - but I'd really like to see them lure Martin Birch out of retirement for one more disc. Thought he worked magic with Iron Maiden. (Rubin would be good, too - seems to bring out the best in most of the bands he works with - but I personally think he's a bit over-rated as a producer.)

Screw it, let Scott produce it. :headbang:

I admit the production value is a bit raw, but "Spreading The Disease" holds a special place in my heart for that grittiness of its sound.

The real audiophiles will chuckle at my description here, but I'd love the next Anthrax record to have just enough bass to highlight Charlie's double-bass kicks and Frankie's bass thumping, but not so much that the high-end of the vocals or even the barre-chording of Scott gets buried in the wash. Sorry, but I don't know any other way to describe it.

I think you said it best when you mentioned Maiden! They have that great production where you can hear the bass AND the high ends very well. Many should take a lesson from that school of production.

I know Scott hates the way the record sounds, but I thought Dave Jerden made the band sound KILLER on Sound of White Noise. That big fat raunchy guitar tone was awesome. Turn up Potter's field or This is Not an Exit REALLY LOUD and you see what i mean. 2nd best would be WCFYA. That was a major improvement after Vol. 8. I didn't like the mix on Stomp 442, Volume 8 sounded too muddy, Persistence of Time was good but wasn't loud enough, and the first three records are devoid of any low-end. The remastered versions of the older stuff on the Killer A's album was better though.

If you ask me, Metallica's Black Album is STILL the best sounding metal record ever recorded. The drums, guitar tones, volumes, vocals, and production value were perfect. I think it's quite possible that angels were guiding Bob Rock on that album, because the rest of the albums he did for them weren't even close.

Who produced SOWN?

I love the sound and mix on that album. That was sensational.

I know Scott hates the way the record sounds, but I thought Dave Jerden made the band sound KILLER on Sound of White Noise. That big fat raunchy guitar tone was awesome. Turn up Potter's field or This is Not an Exit REALLY LOUD and you see what i mean. 2nd best would be WCFYA. That was a major improvement after Vol. 8. I didn't like the mix on Stomp 442, Volume 8 sounded too muddy, Persistence of Time was good but wasn't loud enough, and the first three records are devoid of any low-end. The remastered versions of the older stuff on the Killer A's album was better though.

If you ask me, Metallica's Black Album is STILL the best sounding metal record ever recorded. The drums, guitar tones, volumes, vocals, and production value were perfect. I think it's quite possible that angels were guiding Bob Rock on that album, because the rest of the albums he did for them weren't even close.

They got that big fat guitar tone on SOWN by recording the guitar tracks like 8 times or something but i really liked the production on that record too, in fact all the John Bush era albums have had good production on them. I dont think Vol 8 sounds muddy, i think Paul Crook got them a nice big sounding heavy record that sounds killer to listen to and was different to WCFYA which didnt sound as big sounding as vol 8 but has good production on it too even though i think the record could have been louder and had a slightly bigger sound.

I agree with you on the Black Album, and i think those same angels were guiding Bob Rock on Motley Crue's self titled album with John Corabi, that had killer production too and has gotta be one of the most underrated rock albums of the 90's.

Yeah, Scott recorded 6 guitar tracks (and that's just for rhythm) for each song. Two of which were a six string bass played like a guitar. It's hard to hear distinctly but if you listen closely to the mid part of Hy pro Glo (during the "it burns a hole inside my miiiiiiind" bit), you can definately hear it growling in the background between the guitar breaks.
Dave Jerden did a fantastic job on that. He also did A.I.C.'s "Dirt" and Sacred Reich's "Independence" among others.

Not a big fan of Vol.8s production, the guitars just sound too thin ( much like on SOD's Bigger, which came out a year after). Not enough oomph.

Best Sounding for me is SOWN (just cause it's original) or WCFYA although secretley I love Euphoria's sound. Charlie's drums are just sick on that.

Funny how so many on here love SOWN's production.

For me its my favourite sounding album. The crushing riffage on Room for one more, Only and Invisible are just fantastic.

I always found Vol 8 sounded too much like Pantera... my first thought when I heard that album was ... heck, its Pantera.

Funny how so many on here love SOWN's production.

For me its my favourite sounding album. The crushing riffage on Room for one more, Only and Invisible are just fantastic.

I always found Vol 8 sounded too much like Pantera... my first thought when I heard that album was ... heck, its Pantera.

each to there own,i thought sown sounded like shit,imagine if it had same sound as wcfya....

Personally I thought Rob C did a great job on producing WCFYA, although right now I wouldn't care if the guys from the Wiggles produced the next record - I just want some new Anthrax!

I have to agree with dailyvault on the Martin Birch call! I know it won't happen, but it would be awsome!
I think Rob Caggiano would do a great job, if he'd be willing to do it!

I agree with you on the Black Album said:
Absolutely. I loved the sound on that Crue album, and i personally like Corabi's voice a lot more than Vince's. The black album has the best production i've heard. Imagine if Justice had that bass sound, it would be the greatest album ever. To me that's the only thing it's lacking, you can't even hear Jason.