Anthrax vs. Pantera...

Originally posted by Keep
Anthrax in the 80's and their lame gimmicks- Not Man, Mosh, taking the NYHC logo for Anthrax t-shirts, Schism, Public Enemy, Skateboards, no frills t-shirt. It was the same type of shit in the 90's and today. The Simpsons, Seinfeld, a cup of Jo, acting lessons, the Yankees, Stomp, petition to get on Ozzfest.. etc. etc.... Phil Anselmo is also a guitarist and songwriter. Bush barely writes lyrics. Talent: Anselmo

You forgot Adidas, Vision streetwear, I'm the Man, being friends with Metallica and jams from the 80s. And you call yourself an Anthrax basher. Be gone you weakling! I am disgusted. :puke:

John Bush is in the same league as Bruce Dickenson, Rob Halford, Geoff Tate etc.............

Phil Anselmo is not. Imagine how much better Pantera would be if John sang for them. Its a shame the talent that is Dimebag and Vinnie is staddled with the constant screaming of Phil. I ONLY listen to Pantera for the drumming and the guitar work and it does nothing for me emotionally. I wish Phil would sing (somewhat like on "Cowboys from Hell") instead and my opinion of Pantera would most likely be different.

Anthrax:
Currently a band

Pantera:
??????? (Last I heard, Phil and Rex haven't even been talking to Vinnie and Dimebag. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Winner:
ANTHRAX!!

Anthrax are better songwriters - better lyrics too ... only 2 good albums by Pantera: CFH and VDOP - after that it was all downhill and trying to be more "brutal" but somewhere along the way they forgot to write songs and Phil forgot how to sing.
Anthrax with Bush and with Joey, were always stronger with each release musically and lyrically, while Pantera has either stagnated or went downwards - and please, PLEASE, don't even compare the 80's Pantera with the 80's Anthrax - the former weren't even metal back then.

Peace!

I never knew so many people could get ugly about these two bands! I have to agree with the opinion that Pantera have lost it since "Vulgar Display Of Power", don't get me wrong, I love the other albums, but they just don't stick out and have lasting listening power, especially "Reinventing The Steel." That album sounds so plain and fimilar, there's no suprise. Anthrax, on the other have grown musicially, to the point I can even believe some of the crap they play! (ex. Toast To The Extras) I know you guys love to bash the song, but I like it. At least Anthrax have the balls to take metal into some melodic areas. Bottom line, Pantera is tough guy, straight-foward, guitar-driven metal that gets old and stale. Anthrax is what metal should be, Brutal, hard, yet melodic and engaging. Tell me this, how many of you can still listen to "Volume 8" straight through and not get tired and turn it off. I CAN.

Right on Thraxhead! I bought RTS and I might have listened to it 5 times total... It's just a barrage of riffs/noise and it seems they were just making a brutal album only for the sake of it being brutal - no memorable riffs here and the singing is like "blah"...
Anthrax lyrics were always sounding more personal (moreso in the Bush era) and intelligent - perhaps more back in the 80's when they were singing about different social issues...

There are some great melodies on the last two Pantera albums. 13 Steps, Drag the Waters, Revolution, Yesterday Don't Mean Shit. This is actually really dumb argument though. It's like arguing over Maiden vs. Priest or Queen vs. Zeppelin. Shut the hell up and enjoy 'em both.

"John Bush is in the same league as Bruce Dickenson, Rob Halford, Geoff Tate etc.............

Phil Anselmo is not." -Armored Thrax-

Actually you need to hear down if you haven't. Phil actually sings and he's good at it too. But like I said he sounds alot like John.
-Jono-

I like John, but I don't know if he is in that class. I like him because he sound's like a blues singer. C'mon, we all love John, but his range isn't close to that listed above. That's kind of like saying "Scott is in league w/ Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and Pete Townshend."
The one member of Anthrax who truly is at an elite level of talent is the one that looks like a member a boy band!!! Charlie is in whatever class you want to put him in. Don't get me wrong, John is my favorite singer, but you are stretching the point a little.

my 2 fave bands period.

far beyond driven hasnt come out out of my cd player for god knows how long lol,with at least 2 anthrax cds in cd tray as well.

the only band that i have seen live that is in the same league as anthrax is pantera on there last tour here.

its a rare thing to have 2 great metal bands still going strong,so just enjoy it while it lasts.

my opinion as far as talent is dime is one of the best metal guitarists in metal today along with zakk wylde,scott makes up for it with his powerhouse rythm.

phil anselmo is exactly what a frontman should be,its his job to get the crowd pumped and he is one of the best i have seen,johns voice is exactly what anthrax need in a vocalist,suits there style down to the ground.

u cant seperate vinnie and charlie as far as drumming goes but vinnie produces all dimes solos and the last 2 pantera records while charlies writes all the music in anthrax now which is just amazing how much talent can one guy have.

i cant wait till i hear nfp,who knows what to expect!!!

i wouldnt expect a new record from pantera till 2004 at the earliest but they will have to raise the bar to top a record like wcfya,i really think pantera shoulda taken a longer break after trendkill record to get all the sideprojects out of the way before they put out steel album,rienventing the steel is classic pantera but somethging was missing,cant put my finger on it but it just didnt have the same feel as all the others.

Anthrax upstaged Pantera on their tour in 1997. I love both bands to the death, and Bush is definitely in the big leagues in terms of his vocal ability. He is just so incredible, and for all those who doubt his range, go get some Armored Saint albums...he hits top notes, screams and goes wild.

Phil's work on Down II is mediocre and much better on their 1995 debut. His other band Superjoint Ritual shows he can still be brutal.

The Great Southern Trendkill is Pantera's best album. The first two are great and Far Beyond Driven is a patchy effort, with Reinventing The Steel a completely different band, or a rehashed Pantera. I think it was both. New Found Power, Dime and Vinnie's new project, will be excellent. Let's hope they get a good vocalist to match.

Anthrax is a thrash rock band and Pantera is heavy metal.

BOTH ARE AMAZING.

I've always liked Anthrax a bit more. I've liked Pantera ever since I saw them in concert with White Zombie. I liked White Zombie more and if they ever got back together and released anything like they did along the lines of La Sexorcisto and Astrocreep, they might tip Anthrax as my favorite band. I bought Reinventing the Steel and I just could not get into it. I loved listening to CFH to TGST, but Reinventing the Steel just lost me.

As for listening to Vol 8 all the way through, it's worn out on from me doing that. I like all the songs on it.

Very interesting post indeed!

I really can't pick a winner, you actually picked by two favorite metal bands, so I can't choose a winner!

Anthrax fan since 85

Pantera fan since 90

Cheerz!

AugDawg

And BTW, have you all guys heard The Great Southern Trendkill or not???? I can't believe how many of yous states that Pantera has gone down after Vulgar... and that they don't write songs anymore and stuff? In my humble opinion TGST has the best Pantera's song ever, just take the range... in Suicide Note Pt1 Phil Anselmo sounds a bit like Eddie Vedder... then the next one turns into brutal grindcore screaming...
I have to agree RTS is probably their weakest, though.
Whereas I'm not that much into 80's metal vocal screaming, John Bush kicks Halford and co's ass any day in my book.

Originally posted by johnnieCzech
And BTW, have you all guys heard The Great Southern Trendkill or not???? I can't believe how many of yous states that Pantera has gone down after Vulgar... and that they don't write songs anymore and stuff? In my humble opinion TGST has the best Pantera's song ever, just take the range... in Suicide Note Pt1 Phil Anselmo sounds a bit like Eddie Vedder... then the next one turns into brutal grindcore screaming...
I have to agree RTS is probably their weakest, though.
Whereas I'm not that much into 80's metal vocal screaming, John Bush kicks Halford and co's ass any day in my book.

You know me Dawg!

I love GSTK! That may be my favorite Pantera album actually!

Cheerz!

AugDawg

Originally posted by Brent
Anthrax is a better band, hands down.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pantera, ( mainly CFH and VDOP, and their newer stuff is pretty good I guess) but Anthrax is better in every way. "All their lame gimmicks" are supposed to be humorous. Anthrax has HUMOROUS elements, they are about a 90% serious band.

All of Pantera's lyrics are USUALLY ( notice I said usually to future arguers) not too talented written wise and are usually " I'm tough you suck I'm gonna kick your fuckin ass!"...and Phil used to be a good singer, but now it's just screams.
I agree 100%, Brent. I like both bands, but there is no comparison.

Take Phil's lyrics from Superjoint Ritual: "If you were me/You'd be in luck/But your not/So you suck" Sounds like it was written be a twelve year old. When he does sing, he can do a good job, but SJR and too many recent Pantera albums have pretty much only featured screams. A couple songs at a time are good for stress relief, but a whole album at a time gives me a headache. (CFH, Vulgar, and Down being exceptions). Anthrax on the other hand, I can listen to any album (especially any of John's) REPEATEDLY wihtout getting tired of it. Better song-writing, better vocals, better music. Pantera may be tighter, heavier, and arguably better musicians, but those three factors weigh much less than the three mentioned for Anthrax.

@TD: You raise an important point: "favorite" does not equal "best". John may not have the range of Dickinson and Halford, but at the same time, he compliments Anthrax's music perfectly, and so to me, I think he is a god among metal singers. We can argue about who the "best" is, but he's certainly my favorite.

@johnnieCzech: Again, it's opinions, but of course I've heard GSTK, and it doesn't compare to CFH or Vulgar. As I said above, a few songs at a time are great to take out some aggression, but I can't sit down and listen to the whole album all the way through without getting tired and bored.

Originally posted by nafnikufesin

@johnnieCzech: Again, it's opinions, but of course I've heard GSTK, and it doesn't compare to CFH or Vulgar. As I said above, a few songs at a time are great to take out some aggression, but I can't sit down and listen to the whole album all the way through without getting tired and bored.

You know the thing I appreciate about this album? It doesn't bore me just because the agggression is balanced with the melody. The first song is like a hellish blast, then you have two classic Pantera songs which could have easily been on Vulgar and here comes the song 10s, killer slow song, very depressive stuff and very relieving for me. Then it's very heavy again, and then you have the two "suicide notes" - the first one with its acoustic guitars and clean vocals sounds like Pearl Jam! So, I'm getting into that "mood again" - and now my ass is being crushed by the second one! FUCK! OK, some hardcore again, and then you have another ballad "Floods". What I like the most about TGSTK is its diversity. They hadn't done this before. And I was really bored by FBD.
But let Pantera live on their own board, Anthrax is (in my opinion) better anyway. But you know, it's like comparing vaginas to penises :)