Anthrax and Pantera?

Stompmosher

Aug 13, 2011
I have read a few times here how Anthrax tried to sound like Pantera in the 90s. I only hear 1 riff from P&V (V8) that sounds like the riff from "A new Level" leading into the solo and thats about it. This brings me to my point, I think Pantera sounded more like Anthrax with "Cowboys" and "Vulgar" in places than Anthrax sounded like Pantera.

How? Pantera isn't thrash, and both of those albums were out before SOWN was, which marked the beginning of the era of trying to sound like Pantera.

I guess. I love SOWN, doesn't sound anything like Pantera. Shit 442 & Vol. 8 on the other hand.......

Among and SOE came out before and POT was around the same time as Cowboys. There are some thrash elements to Pantera, not a lot but some.

I have read a few times here how Anthrax tried to sound like Pantera in the 90s. I only hear 1 riff from P&V (V8) that sounds like the riff from "A new Level" leading into the solo and thats about it. This brings me to my point, I think Pantera sounded more like Anthrax with "Cowboys" and "Vulgar" in places than Anthrax sounded like Pantera.

No idea. Myself, I liked thrash. And whatever Pantera was I liked OK. Loved Bush era Anthrax. But who gives a CRAP about what is what and this and that? Good music trumps all. If you like Pantera, fine, like Ballethrax, fine. Like Bushthrax, fine. Like Willie Nelson, fine.

What gives with all the crappy attitude? Every "era" has a defining moment, and when it's gone, it's gone. Who cares? Is Anthrax "thrash" anymore? Who cares, if you like it? Did Metallica sell out after the Black album? Again, if you like it who cares?

All you amateur musicoligists should just STFU! No one cares. Listen to it, if you like it and don't listen if you don't.

End communication.

Maybe stomp had elements,especially with dimes solos,other than that and the song the constant I don't c a huge effort to sound like pantera,I don't think any could sound like pantera if they tried lol,Im a huge fan of both bands

No idea. Myself, I liked thrash. And whatever Pantera was I liked OK. Loved Bush era Anthrax. But who gives a CRAP about what is what and this and that? Good music trumps all. If you like Pantera, fine, like Ballethrax, fine. Like Bushthrax, fine. Like Willie Nelson, fine.

What gives with all the crappy attitude? Every "era" has a defining moment, and when it's gone, it's gone. Who cares? Is Anthrax "thrash" anymore? Who cares, if you like it? Did Metallica sell out after the Black album? Again, if you like it who cares?

All you amateur musicoligists should just STFU! No one cares. Listen to it, if you like it and don't listen if you don't.

End communication.

No attitude, just an observation. Everyone hears it differently. This is only my take on it. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? Am I not allowed to comment on it? LOL.

End communication.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Anthrax went from thrash to a groove metal style that Pantera basically invented. Pantera was really the only metal band during the early and mid 90s that was selling out huge venues and selling shit tons of albums. Anthrax tried their hardest to try and capitalize on that type of music but failed miserably. Sure there are some forum members that like the piles of trash in volume 8 and stomp but its safe to say not many people liked those albums based on how few people were attending shows and how poorly they sold. They can try to spin it as lack of label support...but the reason the labels didnt support them was they knew they were garbage

Anthrax tried too hard to follow the current trends and lost their identity and most of their fans

If Joey didnt agree to come back and sing for them they would not be around right now. At least we will get at minimum one more Anthrax album

Don't agree at all.

Bands who don't evolve at all are dull - churning out the same old rubbish. I admit Vol 8 is not their best but I like it as I like Stomp. All these albums mark different periods in growing up with Anthrax. They would have died long ago if they hadn’t changed. Die hard old skool metal heads who want 80's stuff for 30 years are so boring!

On a wider note, the early 2000s were not good for metal in general - it kind of fell out of fashion. That said the shows were always packed on the Stomp UK tour. Maybe Americans are more fickle in their tastes? - It was said by thrax at the time that Europe had a more loyal fan base.

Also more generally pretty much every band has its peaks and troughs for whatever reason. I can't think of one that has put out a good album every time! But then again, even a good album is subjective.

No attitude, just an observation. Everyone hears it differently. This is only my take on it. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? Am I not allowed to comment on it? LOL.

Nah. Not trying to project "attitude" nor was my comment aimed at you specifically. Just an observation.

As far as the whole Pantera thing, I never really believed it. But again, I never really listened to Pantera a whole lot.....although I did see Anthrax open for them in early '98. Again, I thought Anthrax wiped the floor with them. To me just about every Pantera song played sounded alike.

(By the by, I like Vol. 8. In my opinion if 2 or 3 songs were cut off that album it would have been better. "Crush" is awesome. And one of there best openers.)

Don't agree at all.

That said the shows were always packed on the Stomp UK tour.

The Glasgow show was at the Garage. The previous SOWN show was at a sold out Barra's, with more than twice the capacity. I think the Stomp show was advertised initially at the Barra's, but after poor ticket sales...................

it was still a great gig, with Paul Crook on guitar and opening with Random Acts.....one of their finest songs IMO.:headbang:

Don't agree at all.

Bands who don't evolve at all are dull - churning out the same old rubbish. I admit Vol 8 is not their best but I like it as I like Stomp. All these albums mark different periods in growing up with Anthrax. They would have died long ago if they hadn’t changed. Die hard old skool metal heads who want 80's stuff for 30 years are so boring!

On a wider note, the early 2000s were not good for metal in general - it kind of fell out of fashion. That said the shows were always packed on the Stomp UK tour. Maybe Americans are more fickle in their tastes? - It was said by thrax at the time that Europe had a more loyal fan base.

Also more generally pretty much every band has its peaks and troughs for whatever reason. I can't think of one that has put out a good album every time! But then again, even a good album is subjective.

Anthrax evolved dramatically from fistful of metal to persistence of time. That was a good evolution. Still the same band but completely different sounding albums. Persistence of time is a masterpiece and so is Among the living. Both albums are completely different but there is no mistaking them as being Anthrax albums.

From sound of white noise onwards they didnt evolve they went backwards. They put out generic albums with no identity to them. If you think volume 8 is a band evolving you are nuts. That is a band hitting rock bottom out of ideas and creativity.

I can promise you if Anthrax kept Joey and Danny and kept evolving like they were doing prior to SOWN they would have never struggled as much as they did. They were forced to do a reunion tour just to make ends meet. Anthrax during the stomp and volume 8 era were basically non existent. Now magically Joey is back and all of a sudden they are successful once again. He should have never been canned... But whatever what is done is done, took them over a decade to figur it out...better late than never

The Glasgow show was at the Garage. The previous SOWN show was at a sold out Barra's, with more than twice the capacity. I think the Stomp show was advertised initially at the Barra's, but after poor ticket sales...................

it was still a great gig, with Paul Crook on guitar and opening with Random Acts.....one of their finest songs IMO.:headbang:

I was there at that very gig. Remember I had to run from the Barras to The Garage as no one told me it had moved. Then saw them in Notts the next evening!

Anthrax evolved dramatically from fistful of metal to persistence of time. That was a good evolution. Still the same band but completely different sounding albums. Persistence of time is a masterpiece and so is Among the living. Both albums are completely different but there is no mistaking them as being Anthrax albums.

From sound of white noise onwards they didnt evolve they went backwards. They put out generic albums with no identity to them. If you think volume 8 is a band evolving you are nuts. That is a band hitting rock bottom out of ideas and creativity.

I can promise you if Anthrax kept Joey and Danny and kept evolving like they were doing prior to SOWN they would have never struggled as much as they did. They were forced to do a reunion tour just to make ends meet. Anthrax during the stomp and volume 8 era were basically non existent. Now magically Joey is back and all of a sudden they are successful once again. He should have never been canned... But whatever what is done is done, took them over a decade to figur it out...better late than never

Well I guess POT onwards is my era so I like it. I cant stand Fistful and am staoked they no longer sound like that.
Vol 8 is a band trying new things therfore 'evolving'. Sometimes evolution hits dead ends but you have to try. It's not all bad.
IMO POT was already heading for a style that warranted a singer like Bush.

But then you are right, we are where we are. Joey is back in and WM is a great record. They are fortunate to have turned their fortunes around. They just need stop milking this Anthems crap

Spot on, right there.

Anthrax went from thrash to a groove metal style that Pantera basically invented. Pantera was really the only metal band during the early and mid 90s that was selling out huge venues and selling shit tons of albums. Anthrax tried their hardest to try and capitalize on that type of music but failed miserably. Sure there are some forum members that like the piles of trash in volume 8 and stomp but its safe to say not many people liked those albums based on how few people were attending shows and how poorly they sold. They can try to spin it as lack of label support...but the reason the labels didnt support them was they knew they were garbage

Anthrax tried too hard to follow the current trends and lost their identity and most of their fans

If Joey didnt agree to come back and sing for them they would not be around right now. At least we will get at minimum one more Anthrax album

Or maybe its something more simple, it was the music they want to make at that time, its obvius that Pantera has an impact on Charlie, but for me Anthrax make the music that they want. Plus, Worship Music has a lot of that groovy metal that they make in the 90s, for me the only thing they change was de vocalist and of course some songs that has that 80´s vibe.

I was there at that very gig. Remember I had to run from the Barras to The Garage as no one told me it had moved. Then saw them in Notts the next evening!

I was at Dublin on this tour. My first ever Anthrax show. I met Scott and Charlie before the gig. They gave me a Stomp 442 Poster that I still have. IT was a great gig, and although not the pinnacle of their career, I'm glad to have witnessed them during this period.