Anthrax and Pantera?

I seriously doubt there was a band meeting with managers and label big wigs all gathered to discuss Anthrax trying to sound like Pantera. There's no question that Anthrax's chief songwriters were influenced by Pantera. Nothing wrong with that. Pantera was metals answer to anti-glam/hair band sentiment and grunge/alternative music that was dominating the airwaves at the time. Face it. The 90's happened. The bands that refused to conform are in relative obscurity now or defunct.

Great points from everyone here and a great thread, just as I'm going to add my two cents someone else hits it on the head. We all have different opinions but after 30+ years we're all still fans so they must be doing something right!

Pantera was a band like no other. Proof of this was when Anthrax released Worship Music in NYC. I was at that show before the big four @yankee stadium at the best buy theater. During the clinic portion, when Phil Anselmo came out as a surprise guest. The gasp in that room was deafening. The crowd went nuts.

The whole "Anthrax tried to sound like Pantera" thing is, of course, total bullshit, which can't be taken seriously.

Geat points from everyone, including people I don't always agree with. I don't think Anthrax sounded anything like Pantera. Any band can have a groove beat with a metal riff underneath. Anthrax's riffs, production any general sound were nothing like Panteras the way I hear it. Anthrax have alway made the music they wanted to make with every album, for better or worse the way you or I see it.

Geat points from everyone, including people I don't always agree with. I don't think Anthrax sounded anything like Pantera. Any band can have a groove beat with a metal riff underneath. Anthrax's riffs, production any general sound were nothing like Panteras the way I hear it. Anthrax have alway made the music they wanted to make with every album, for better or worse the way you or I see it.

THIS.

I don't think they tried to sound like Pantera but both bands definitely had a southern metal vibe. Anthrax was more bluesy around this era. You also have to consider that having the lead guitarist from another band is probably going to make you sound like his band at least a little.

SOWN was more AIC than anything (in tone sound wise) but that's hardly surprising given the producer of the album.
Vol 8 was very Pantera for me. The riffs, the one, the style. Probably my least favourite Anthrax album.
I admire Pantera but was never a huge fan.

SOWN was more AIC than anything (in tone sound wise) but that's hardly surprising given the producer of the album.
Vol 8 was very Pantera for me. The riffs, the one, the style. Probably my least favourite Anthrax album.
I admire Pantera but was never a huge fan.

I wish it was Pantera like in quality...but it was horrid...not quite sure how anyone could honestly like volume 8..I hate stomp as well but can atleast see why some people could like it..but not volume 8

I wish it was Pantera like in quality...but it was horrid...not quite sure how anyone could honestly like volume 8..I hate stomp as well but can atleast see why some people could like it..but not volume 8

Well, that is your opinion. Vol. 8 is good. To me there are some great songs on there ("Crush", "Catharsis" and "Killing Box") and some not so good ones. If you don't like it fine, but to me it stands at least head and shoulders above SoE, which was a pretty weak album.....mostly cuz of the cheesy lyrics.

Well, that is your opinion. Vol. 8 is good. To me there are some great songs on there ("Crush", "Catharsis" and "Killing Box") and some not so good ones. If you don't like it fine, but to me it stands at least head and shoulders above SoE, which was a pretty weak album.....mostly cuz of the cheesy lyrics.

Agree. Just because it's older does not make the songs better! The lyrics back then were rubbish

Lastly and frankly Anthrax does not and has never sounded like Pantera in any shape or form.

Agree. Just because it's older does not make the songs better! The lyrics back then were rubbish

Lastly and frankly Anthrax does not and has never sounded like Pantera in any shape or form.

I'm pretty much buying what you're selling. Whether the troo fans agree or not, Bush's arrival made Anthrax a much better writing unit, when it comes to lyrics.....

@JohnnieCzech I really hate that term, True or Real Fans... so silly isn't it. A fan is a fan - it's just some of us prefer one era to the other whilst some of us like both.

To be frank it's the jokey elelment / rap metal that set them apart from the other 3 of the Big 4.

Megadeth had the political slant, Slayer the evil. Metallica - errrmmm , Don't evenknow what their USP is to be honest. Who the hell knows how they got so big.

I certainly can't. When I put on an Anthrax CD I want to hear heavy metal. Leave the lame jokey shit to someone like the Dead Milkmen.

Well than I really have no idea how you ever liked Anthrax. "I'm the Man", "Bring the Noise", "13", "NFB"....all Anthrax. Not a metal tune there. Even the cover songs they do that are big "Antisocial" and "Got the time", are hardly "thrash" covers. Just fast remakes of a couple of songs. Hardly the definition of Heavy Metal.

Anthrax was always known as a bad to try something different. Just seems some fans couldn't stand something different on a Bushthrax album.