Rick Rubin to produce next Metallica album

sknight said:
It's funny how everytime around, people always show some glimmer of hope for Metallica. It ain't gonna happen. Give some press and support the creative bands that deserve it, rather than riding on the dingleberries of a band that has done nothing good for more than 16 years. Jeez. Their creative heyday was 20 years ago.

Excellent point - I must admit I got excited before St Anger came out. I thought they would return to their former glory, not come out with the worst album I've ever heard.
I don't understand people's hope for Metallica - even in my case, the only three albums I really love are RTL, MOP and especially AJFA. They've done nothing of any great value since 1988 FFS. :cry:

sumairetsu said:
The band has never matched the sales of their first album with their subsequent work.

I]
That album was awesome, but it's what they put togather after that, Pauls Boutique, Check you head, and Ill Communication that made the Beastie Boys Great.

Stormwatch said:
Excellent point - I must admit I got excited before St Anger came out. I thought they would return to their former glory, not come out with the worst album I've ever heard.
I don't understand people's hope for Metallica - even in my case, the only three albums I really love are RTL, MOP and especially AJFA. They've done nothing of any great value since 1988 FFS. :cry:
You got excited because they disseminated lies through the media that this new album is going to be a return to the sound of their former years, coupled with optimism. The Metallica machine is just that. What people don't realize is Metallica is a company, one aspect being the music. They have PR people in an office in a building somewhere. They are not the four guys that went to Denmark to learn thrash from Artillery anymore.

sknight said:
You got excited because they disseminated lies through the media that this new album is going to be a return to the sound of their former years, coupled with optimism. The Metallica machine is just that. What people don't realize is Metallica is a company, one aspect being the music. They have PR people in an office in a building somewhere. They are not the four guys that went to Denmark to learn thrash from Artillery anymore.

Well this goes for most of the bands somewhat established in music business.

sknight said:
It's funny how everytime around, people always show some glimmer of hope for Metallica. It ain't gonna happen.

That's the thing, though. Just because a band has a crappy album (or, albums) doesn't mean that I just give up on them. If that was the case, I wouldn't be listening to Kiss, Morbid Angel, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Anthrax, etc.

sknight said:
It's funny how everytime around, people always show some glimmer of hope for Metallica. It ain't gonna happen. Give some press and support the creative bands that deserve it, rather than riding on the dingleberries of a band that has done nothing good for more than 16 years. Jeez. Their creative heyday was 20 years ago.
**FACT**

It is true that Rick Rubin WILL produce their next album. It's announced on their website. Bob Rock just has to be a bad producer, every song on albums he produced are one lisenable live - the mix is always so fucking bad. I am sure Rubin's input is going to have a positive input, the kind of 'moving-in-the-right-dorection kind of input.

Who said Slayer made a bad album? And when is Slayers next one coming out?

LORD_GALVATRON said:
What the fuck did kirk ever do to dave to warrant comments like "at least I bagged his girlfriend before I left, how do I taste, kirk?" Dave mustaine is nothing but a bitter 40+ year old whiny bitch.

What did Kirk ever do? As I pointed out in the other thread, have you heard the Bay Area Thrashers Live CD that Dave and Ron played on? All of "Kirk's" solos on Kill 'em all are exact replicas of Dave's leads. Kirk basically just copied all of the leads and called them his own. That's pretty lowly - especially since doing a lead to music like that is not the hardest thing in the world for an ok guitar player. Kirk used to shred like crazy, he would have had no problems coming up with new leads. Not to mention most of the riffs on that record were also written by Dave. I wonder - what could Metallica have ever done - aside from making a buttload of money off of someone elses music - to piss Dave off? Hhhhmmmm...

Don't get me wrong, man, I don't like all of Megadeth's stuff, and I think that Mustaine could probably be a real prick when he wants to be. Still, stealing music is what kills a scene. Not cool.

Thrillho said:
What did Kirk ever do? As I pointed out in the other thread, have you heard the Bay Area Thrashers Live CD that Dave and Ron played on? All of "Kirk's" solos on Kill 'em all are exact replicas of Dave's leads. Kirk basically just copied all of the leads and called them his own.
When did he call them his own? I've read interviews where he said he basically played Mustaine's solos, as he had come in so late in the game.

Thrillho said:
What did Kirk ever do? As I pointed out in the other thread, have you heard the Bay Area Thrashers Live CD that Dave and Ron played on? All of "Kirk's" solos on Kill 'em all are exact replicas of Dave's leads. Kirk basically just copied all of the leads and called them his own. That's pretty lowly - especially since doing a lead to music like that is not the hardest thing in the world for an ok guitar player. Kirk used to shred like crazy, he would have had no problems coming up with new leads. Not to mention most of the riffs on that record were also written by Dave. I wonder - what could Metallica have ever done - aside from making a buttload of money off of someone elses music - to piss Dave off? Hhhhmmmm...

Don't get me wrong, man, I don't like all of Megadeth's stuff, and I think that Mustaine could probably be a real prick when he wants to be. Still, stealing music is what kills a scene. Not cool.
Metallica=biggest plagiarists in metal. They stole their sound from Artillery and their music from Mustaine. He's a prick, but they built their empire on his back. That's pretty lowly, kind of like other bands we know here...

sumairetsu said:
That's the thing, though. Just because a band has a crappy album (or, albums) doesn't mean that I just give up on them. If that was the case, I wouldn't be listening to Kiss, Morbid Angel, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Anthrax, etc.
The only thing you have managed to spell out here is that you have bad taste in music and will buy any crap so long as it's got a formerly credible band's label on it.

sknight said:
Metallica=biggest plagiarists in metal. They stole their sound from Artillery and their music from Mustaine. He's a prick, but they built their empire on his back. That's pretty lowly, kind of like other bands we know here...
Lol, you're such a tool. Mustaine contribted to a TOTAL of 6 songs, of which only 2 are any good. Not exactly buildinag an empire on his back. Besides, if dave is the reason for metallica's success, why was megadeth nevr able to aproach their level?

Because Mustaine held out making heavier music until later?

Because Mustaine is more volatile and more of a risk for record companies to take?

Because Metallica was more commercially viable?

Because Metallica played their cards right with the Z's and was pushed? THe subsequent push was when they went to bat for the crooked record industry, so the record industry wouldn't abandon them?

And don't forget, Copenhagen 1982 where Artillery taught them how to play.

This is getting amusing now. Why arent they free to make the music they want? Why is it such a bad thing to, after proving themselves as a "heavy metal" band, try other avenues of creativity? It is just as much as "selling out" to be comercially accessable, as it is to NOT in fear of losing your fan base (IE PANTERA). WHo cares who taught who how to play metal? The act is they still made killer albums to the metal community, then in 1990 in the "rock" community. Who followed whom? Check your album timeline, Megadeth's "changes" damn near coincide with Metallica up until Youthanasia when Dave realized that chasing Metallica was a fools game. Case in point, lame or not, Metallica was a defining band up until about 1990. Then they because a "business" per se.

....and another thing. I blame Lars and Bob Rock for it all entirely. They also have never, since day one, been comfortable with the moniker "thrash" or "metal" band. I think Rick will be a good thing, I do cherish the old school Metallica. I would love to hear something along a more "metal" album from them, and being a fan since Justice, I will buy and listen not matter what it is. Same goes for Anthrax and alot of others. Geeez, Some people act as though if a band changes speed or musical view, its like their significant other cheating on them.

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
Case in point, lame or not, Metallica was a defining band up until about 1990. Then they because a "business" per se.

well I totally agree with that. And I'm not being a smartass either. This time.

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
....and another thing. I blame Lars and Bob Rock for it all entirely. They also have never, since day one, been comfortable with the moniker "thrash" or "metal" band.
You're just riding the "hate Lars/Bob Rock" bandwagon. Hetfield wrote Load and Reload. Period. Bob was just there to turn the knobs. Why blame him for playing the music he wants to play? To me there's more passion on all of Load then a single bar of Slipknot's Vol. 3, which was produced by Rubin. And calling it "selling out" or whatever bullshit is blind and naive; even before the black album they could have done anything they wanted. Why would Rick Rubin of all people guarantee a return to anything? I don't get that. They weren't a business before 1990? You must be kidding. So they self-produced and self-managed everything until then?

I agree with what you said about fans' reaction to a band changing style--I should say, EVOLVING.