Riff by riff recording

I usually play the start of riff 2 when tracking riff one, conversely I usually play the end of riff 1 as I punch in for riff 2. Usually this allows me to cut the riffs on the grid on the downbeat of beat 1 on riff 2 and auto crossfades keep it nice. But if it still sounds funky, I've got a bit of breathing room before or after the start of riff 2 to crossfade where it sounds best.

tissot-resurrection.jpg

Also...

I usually play the start of riff 2 when tracking riff one, conversely I usually play the end of riff 1 as I punch in for riff 2. Usually this allows me to cut the riffs on the grid on the downbeat of beat 1 on riff 2 and auto crossfades keep it nice. But if it still sounds funky, I've got a bit of breathing room before or after the start of riff 2 to crossfade where it sounds best.

This...

OK i guess that makes the more sense to me, i'll try that next time.

Thank you guys !

I really dont get all these drop in issue and cross fading task's ...sure on some software you dont have the option of hitting a magic global fix app to get rid of all the pops and clicks but as long as you use drum trax to cue up your auto drop in / out points and zoom in on any thing thats sounds less than flawless ,recording riff by riff is pretty much a piece of cake . Some times you can get carried away tho ....Ive found my self not only making sure the wave forms are spliced at the zero line but also passing thru it from + to - / - to + (some times it can be joined - to - or +to + i.e two half waves ) I cant really tell the difference with my ears but I still end up doing it some times . I think the whole point of this thread is to discuss the best way to work quickly & keep the musician busy then things should flow better , if too much time passes between the recording of different passages then it will show up in the performance . My personal method is to fly thru the track after some warming up and then to fix errors before the mood changes , its called "nipping it in the bud" where as riff by riff can be like water torture for musicians .

First of all.. HOLY FUCKING NECRO BUMP!!! Amazing....
I let the guitarist usually go for it until a mistake pops up or something not quite satisfactory, then i'll drop in from a bar or so just before that. i feel it just flows better to let them go and go until an issue arises or they stop because there's a hard bit etc.
:)

I also use Cubase SX. What I do is I have a record enabled track, where I record all the guitars, but when a take is ok I drag its part to the appropriate track underneath (guitar a1, a2, b1, b2...). For the crossfades, make sure you have two overlapping parts (on the same track of course), select them both and press "X". Make sure the overlapping section is not too long...

Hope this helps...

Brett

I do the same.

But I don't even overlap sections, just Grid On, and let the sections touch one to another, but I try to avoid overlapping, then press X... no click will appear.
I always listen carefully to all crossfades, and if i don't like any corssfade I do it manually to get the better and more natural result.

(...)What I do is I have a record enabled track, where I record all the guitars, but when a take is ok I drag its part to the appropriate track underneath (guitar a1, a2, b1, b2...).(...)

Very simple and makes perfect sense but i didn't do it last time and my guitar track was a mess (plenty of "lane" takes with splits and overlaps all over the place, because i guess i left the default tracking/editing options in Reaper).

Will do from now on.

Hehehe, Ermz, you n00b!!1

Bumps like this make you wonder if you should delete your ancient newbie threads, but I guess it's better to leave them and get a sense of progress and accomplishment when they are bumped.

Strangely enough, I still use Cubase SX3 today, but it's an easy as using the auto-crossfade option. That way any adjoined audio will automatically crossfade. I generally have two tracks set for a performance: the compiled track and the currently played track. I go to the auto cross-fades command and set the fade in, out, and cross for something like 2-4ms and you'll never hear a pop anywhere. I generally record most to a metronome so it's as easy as taking chunks snapped to the grid and compiling an entire performance with pieces. Always worked for me!

I can tell you my technique.
If riff is in song starting than I start recording with starting to play and cycle riff one extra time at least start next cycle and cut on grid where should change riffs. Then start recording bit before place with cut end of first riff also playing from that place and end with starting extra cycle. Cut at grid for starting point and ending point where riffs changes. Point of extra cycle is to have illusion of "right" movement - when you go from riff end to starting it again it's not restarting robotically, so giving you morphing from first riff to next.
So this is how I do for each guitar. But If it is possible I go with riffing how far it is possible without cutting and do this trick when necessary.
Haven't heard any poping from cutting riffs.