Right Hand speed techniques

Originally posted by capeda
F-----------------------------------------------------------------------
C---------4---------------------------4---------------1---------------
G-----2-----------2-----2--------2---------2-----2------2------------
D--0----------3------2-------0----------3-----2---------------------

Thats how I play it, but I'm not too sure about that 1 on the C string...

<edit> - ugh, its hard to draw tabs in message boards...

HEY!! I was doing it all wrong, by the way! When I come home today at night, I am gonna test this version, then I'll tell ya!!

And yeah, it's fucking hard to draw tabs here, it would be cool if we could switch to a "Courier-like" font within the post, I even tried to use [font face="Courier"] T A B [/font], but that did not work... I'll send a message to Mark to see what can he do for us...

Originally posted by SOLUS
so you guys do 321321? i've been doing 123123123
which is the right way?

I do 321321 and Billy Sheehan that does to (judging from his video at guitar.com) but I'm not sure what is the best way.

You guys are right. The best way is whatever works the best for you. My lesson column was only an example of one of the styles I use. And the other examples are only there to try out. But if you were to try out all the different suggestions, I'm sure you can find something new that would help you improve your own style.

Yeah, sure, I, for example, use almost all of the techniques said above... 32121 for the 5-notes parts (Lack Of Comprehension chorus, for example), gallops, for Maiden-style parts, 32123 for the faster parts, but I still didn't develop a very very fast technique for 32123, then in the very very fast parts (like Zombie Ritual, or Lack's pre-chorus), I play half-speed... That's what I want to improve...

"Remember to use good muting tecniques with your left hand so the notes don't blur together"

Can someone explain some good muting tecniques becuase I feel that I could use some advice here since it more than often sounds blurry when I play fast.

I would say you should use both, left hand muting and right hand muting. But right hand muting is more important because it is more effective (at least I think so).

muting the strings with your right hand is easy; just use your thumb! Many Bass players (if they even play with fingers) leave their thumb on the edge of a PU. They better way (at least for me) is that you "wander" with your whole hand when you play, e.g. if you play the D-string, your thumb is one the A-string, playing the G-String means you lay your thumb on the D-String. By laying the thumb on all strings you keep them from making sounds you don't want to hear (Question; What do you call it when you you played a string? Is the string swinging :confused: I don't know the vocabulary...)

Originally posted by Tyr
You should try right-hand muting instead :)
Gary Willis of Tribal Tech is a total master of that technique.

Gary Willis

I checked the tecnique that Garry uses and it works but is it possible to use this one at high speed? In slow tempo it all works fine but I find it impossible to play fast with it. Is it just me?

Originally posted by Tyr
Hmmm that would depend on how fast you can move your fingers :p

Hey Tyr!! Wazzup??

Dude, some days ago I was practicing the technique you said here (that 321-no-triplets), and also practicing some 32123, and I figured that my ring finger (the "3") is not "independent" from the other fingers... That makes practicing that kind of technique almost impossible... For example, with my hand opened, when I move my 3rd finger, the 2nd and the 4th move together with it... Not the same movement, but they are kinda "linked"...

Does it happen to you?? And about you, Steve?? What about you guys from the forum?

That's more perceptable when I try to play 2323232323, the speed is very slow...

Any tip on getting this finger independent from the others?? And, is that really needed?

Thanks in advance!

Actually, your finger ARE linked! It is not possible to make the 3 independent, so don't worry (and don't hurt yourself by trying, you won't succeed!)
I guess you will get used to it somehow, you just have to find the right hand position where you don't need completely independent fingers!

Originally posted by Nevermorian
Actually, your finger ARE linked! It is not possible to make the 3 independent, so don't worry (and don't hurt yourself by trying, you won't succeed!)
I guess you will get used to it somehow, you just have to find the right hand position where you don't need completely independent fingers!

You can definately train them to be more independant from each other by using exercises so I wouldn't say that he shouldn't try.

Here are some exercises that I got from a bass student who is a Senior at Rowan University, majoring in performance in classical and jazz.

These exercises do not require your instrument... and they are pretty convienent as you can do them anywhere....

To increase Stretching distance:
This one sounds really stupid but it works... While watching tv or something of that effect, place your forearm between the fingers that you want to be able to stretch more... most common is sticking your arm between the middle and ring fingers... and the ring and pinky fingers... These three fingers have a hard time stretching and being dependant on themselves because the muscles these fingers used are attatched to themselves, where as the muscle for the index finger is seperate from this muscle group. Once your fingers are comfortable with one part of the arm... which can take a couple of days, go to a thicker part of the arm.... don't over do this by going to the a really thick part of your arm first... The purpose of this exercise is to separate the muscle group attached to the last 3 fingers so they can be dependent and strong... not rip the muscles!

To increase finger mobility and independence.. (which leads to strength):
Start in the position with your hands pressed together... palm to palm. Fold all fingers down, with your right hand index finger being first in the line of folded fingers. Then switch the line so that the left hand index finger is first in the line.. do this a couple of times to warm up the hands... The object it to not let your palms come undone.

Return to the plams/hands pressed together with the fingers lined up and pressed together with the opposite finger. Start with the index fingers by folding them down, right index finger first, then switch with the left index figner first. DO NOT LET THE OTHER FINGERS MOVE, OR THE HANDS TO COME APART! Do this slowly at first. Then go back into the start position and do this exercise again with the middle fingers... Fold them over the hand with the right one first in line and then switch so the left it first in line. Then you do this same thing with the ring and pinky fingers. 10 sets for each finger sould be sufficient for the first couple of time you do these... eventually, you want to beable to do this very fast, with out the other fingers moving or the plams of your hands coming apart.

You then do these exercises in sets of 2... the index and middle fingers, then the middle and ring fingers, and the ring and pinky finger. Then you the index and ring and then the middle and pinky. Then you do this in sets of three.. the index, middle and ring, then the middle, ring and pinky.

These exercised are usually hard at first because you are not used to moving fingers individually, or with odd sets, especially when you are not allowed to move the other fingers that normally move with the others.... the object is to do these faster and faster (there is no set limit after you are able to do it good)

WARNING... if you get pins and needles in your hands... or while you are doing the exercised your fingers are getting cold.. stop what you are doing... you are either pinching a nerve, or restricting blood flow.... these exercises are good warm ups before you play or practice, but learn when you are doing too much because they are very demanding on the muscle groups....

Theese really helped me so give them a try.

Hey, i use the 3fingers technique since maybe 6months...and i use a technique nobody (i think) did mention : 1213 1213 1213 1213 ...
That allows you to play 16th notes very fastly and easily...with the time i have now much more speed :)
What dyou think bout that technique? (i don't like so much gallop 321321- except for ternair songs...)

Woah, this is a lot of bassists. One Q though, why stop at three fingers? I know DiGiorgio and Harris perfected the three fingered method but if the hand is arched at the right angle, and depending how long your last finger is, you can still use it at least half the time and play four fingered. It's definitely tough, but you can still use the finger if you plan ahead as to where it goes.