Rip my new mix apart please! :) Axe fx - 7 string content

Sora01

how do mix ¯\(°_o)/¯
Oct 7, 2008
Aberdeen
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/678787/Darren - Chlorine rough mix 1.mp3

Hey guys, just finished up this new song, just wanting second opinions on the mix, i'm not sure how it is, if its pumping or anything.

The master Bus comp is moving for this one alot more because of all the stoppy parts i think.

Anyway, thanks for any crit/feedback in advance!:worship:

EDIT: MK II https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/678787/Darren - Chlorine rough mix 2.mp3

EDIT: MY FINAL MASTER https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/678787/Darren- Chlorine, Darren final master.mp3

I don't really hear any annoying pumping, so no problem there - all I can say is the main synth (or super filtered guitar, whatever it is) is definitely too loud, and the snare a bit too soft, otherwise pretty damn cool! Oh yeah, and I think the kick could use a little less click (and then more volume). What'd you use for drumz?

Oh, and I feel the guitars could use a bit more mids as well (sounding a tad scooped), but overall a good tone! (for a djent-FX :heh: )

I love it duuuude! :) It's sort of a tad too djenty for me (not the sound, but the music writing) but it's definately close to what I'm exploring myself at the moment when it comes to music writing. As far as the sound goes, I mean... anything I'd say right now would only be personal taste so I'm just not gonna say anything. Nice stuff, keep it up man :)

Sounds awesome man. I really love the clean guitar in the background, it adds a really cool depth to the song that I don't hear very often. I would love to hear some vocals with it as well, if you get a chance.

Definetly the first one is better. The snare pops too much in the second one. Everything fits to it's own place in the first one.
Huu...wow. Good stuff. I love that filtered leadguitar above all. It makes the whole song more dreamlike. I really like that! Rythm guitar tone fits as well in the mix. And the song...It's excellent! I really don't know what to add. Wonderfull. Yeah that's the word.

Im listening to the second one, sounds good, the bassdrum needs to be eqed some, loud on some systems not on others, lots of looping so its waiting for vocals, ...bassguitar? song is really orientated around the rhythym guitars, everything seems to follow that...

pretty cool song, keep it up

Yeah, I prefer the sound of the 1st snare, I just think it needs to be louder IMO! And I take what I said back about the kick, cuz I prefer it in the first clip as well! And am I imagining it, or did you boost the mids in the guitars also? Cuz I feel like there's a bit too much in version 2; something right in between 1 and 2 would be perfect IMO!

Thanks guys!, I don't think ill be able to please everyone so im just leaving the mix as is, sounds better than the first version IMO :cool:

Oh and to answer your question metaltastic, Yeah! i did up the mids a bit, like +0.5db of 900hz! im suprised you noticed! :eek: Didn't think it make much difference!

Also im using the original dfh with drumagog :) parrellel compression too! :headbang:

Hey man, I really enjoy your songwriting. Nothing wrong with some well-written djent... certainly more interesting to listen to than endless thrash and melodeath rehashes! There is an element and excitement to those poly-rhythmic styles that is so beyond anything else in metal, IMO.

I don't care much for the AXE-FX tone myself, but you do it justice with your riffs :)

I think the mix is nicely balanced and sounds good, man. I like the guitar tone too. What guitar/pickups? What tuning? I'm guessing Ab? maybe Bb...

Can you post your patches on axechange? I'd like to take a look at them.

sounds killer to me!!!!
could you share the axe patch!?:)
did you usa an external IR!?

cheers
S.

EDIT:
damn, that's really good!
i need all your axe presets! :D

Hey man, I really enjoy your songwriting. Nothing wrong with some well-written djent... certainly more interesting to listen to than endless thrash and melodeath rehashes! There is an element and excitement to those poly-rhythmic styles that is so beyond anything else in metal, IMO.

I don't care much for the AXE-FX tone myself, but you do it justice with your riffs :)

Thanks man! i really appreciate that! :D

JoshuaLogan said:
I think the mix is nicely balanced and sounds good, man. I like the guitar tone too. What guitar/pickups? What tuning? I'm guessing Ab? maybe Bb...

Can you post your patches on axechange? I'd like to take a look at them.
Thanks dude!

Its in Bb, its a schecter blackjack c-7 atx! :) Kick ass guitar, with blackouts

Soultrash said:
sounds killer to me!!!!
could you share the axe patch!?
did you usa an external IR!?

cheers
S.

EDIT:
damn, that's really good!
i need all your axe presets!

Hey man, nah its just the german 4x12 IR , im still to get a midi interface soon, ill post my patch then, when i figure out how ahaha, right now i cant though :erk:

Thanks for the comments! *strokes ego*

maybe you could write down the amp settings, if you have some time!:)
is it the amp and the bab block only or did you use the eq etc.!?

cheers
S.

sounds awesome.

Honestly, your clips always make me consider selling off my 6505+ for an Axefx.

Thanks... :heh:

djent indeed!

this is a really pro sounding mix, IMO, is crying for vocals. really good work! if only mere mortals could afford the AXE-FX.. hehe

thanks,

maybe you could write down the amp settings, if you have some time!:)
is it the amp and the bab block only or did you use the eq etc.!?

cheers
S.

Just the blocks, no eqing, i used the in->ts808 drive->amp(fas modern)->german 4x12->out

I did obviously change the eqing on the amp, i think i used bass:6 Mid:6 treb:9

And the prescence was at 9 or 8. The drive was at 6, and thats pretty much it, im still tweaking as i go tbh.

And thanks again for the comments guys!
Me and rated dodo were talking about making a few more songs then making a sort of, flowing EP, with electronic flows inbetween songs so they all link. Should be fun haha.

I made a final mix and master. But dodo is also mastering it and adding vocals! so keep an eye out for it!

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/678787/Darren- Chlorine, Darren final master.mp3