RME fireface 800 users, i gotta question

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
im seriously considering the purchase of this unit very shortly (a few days)

but i heard there's no control room volume knob on the unit its self

just wondering if most of you deal with this using the software, or if you're using something like central station, a monitor selection with volume control

thanks for your time,
-Joey

I have the Fireface 400 and just have the knob on the front set to control outputs 1 & 2 (linked) to which I have my monitors connected. I was going to get a separate passive volume control like the central station for my monitors, but have found this method sufficient to date. I just make sure to switch off my monitors before the PC is powered up or down to avoid any nasty speaker pops.

I'll probably go down that route though when I end up getting a 2nd set of monitors for reference purposes.

I have the Fireface 400 and just have the knob on the front set to control outputs 1 & 2 (linked) to which I have my monitors connected. I was going to get a separate passive volume control like the central station for my monitors, but have found this method sufficient to date. I just make sure to switch off my monitors before the PC is powered up or down to avoid any nasty speaker pops.

I'll probably go down that route though when I end up getting a 2nd set of monitors for reference purposes.

what kinda monitors you got now, what do you plan on getting in addition?

im looking to finally go mackie h824 soon

man just get a behringer b control nano..

use that as a volume control for the main monitor outs...even has dim function!

people will bitch about lower bit rates at lower volumes.. but it kicks the shit out of a mackie big knob or cenrtal station... and its less than $50!

man just get a behringer b control nano..

use that as a volume control for the main monitor outs...even has dim function!

people will bitch about lower bit rates at lower volumes.. but it kicks the shit out of a mackie big knob or cenrtal station... and its less than $50!

im really looking to buy some nice stuff thats gonna live with me for the next 5 years or so
but thank you for the suggestion!

I wouldn't rely on a software to deal with the volume, if there's a crash or anything, you can just blow your monitors... I have the Fireface 800's out into a Sony 1U rack mixer where I can turn the knobs and mix different sources of audio. I wish there was a volume knob on the FF800 though...

what kinda monitors you got now, what do you plan on getting in addition?

im looking to finally go mackie h824 soon

I have a set of old Tannoy Active Reveals that me ears know very well, but have a set of NS-10's sitting at my folks' place in Australia that I need to get shipped over at some stage. I'll just and them to the lineup as another reference check.I have a really cheap set of Creative speakers in there as well for the same purpose. A Central Station will help sort this lot out. I've heard good things about the SMAudio M-Patch as well.

I will replace the Tannoys at some stage as they've done a lot of work over the years and haven't decided what I'll be moving up to, but I've got my eye on some nice Events.

I wouldn't rely on a software to deal with the volume, if there's a crash or anything, you can just blow your monitors... I have the Fireface 800's out into a Sony 1U rack mixer where I can turn the knobs and mix different sources of audio. I wish there was a volume knob on the FF800 though...

This is true....and I will get around to getting a Passive Volume Control as some stage.

In the meantime I have surge protectors on my rack gear (where my FF is), PC and monitors. No issues thus far despite a couple of power blackouts and PC crashes.