RME issues

Nov 11, 2013
I just upgraded my soundcard from an Echo layla 3G to an RME HDSPe card.

I installed the card, downloaded and installed the latest drivers. Uninstalled the Echo.

The computer freezes when I open a project, to where I have to power down via holding the power button. I am running Sonar X1E 64 bit and it recognizes the RME.

If I just open the mixer alone the mouse moves crazy slow and it's unresponsive. Again, it forces me to power down.

Not sure what else to do?

Just to be clear, you installed the drivers for the new card and THEN uninstalled the Echo's drivers?

In most installation manuals I've read you're really supposed to uninstall any previous drivers before you install anything new. Mostly a guess, but it's possible that these drivers share a file name somewhere and by using the uninstall you may have deleted some file the new drivers need? That's one possibility. Other than that, just a general instability from having two sets of drivers installed at once could be an issue.

Try wiping all the drivers and then reinstalling the new drivers, then plug the device in.

Probably best to post this on the RME forum.

I did that Jeff, I emailed support as well. I figured I would post here to try and get a quicker response. Thanks!

Just to be clear, you installed the drivers for the new card and THEN uninstalled the Echo's drivers?

In most installation manuals I've read you're really supposed to uninstall any previous drivers before you install anything new. Mostly a guess, but it's possible that these drivers share a file name somewhere and by using the uninstall you may have deleted some file the new drivers need? That's one possibility. Other than that, just a general instability from having two sets of drivers installed at once could be an issue.

Try wiping all the drivers and then reinstalling the new drivers, then plug the device in.

I will try uninstalling everything, then re-installing the RME drivers. Thanks for the help!

Just to make sure:
Have you installed the 64bit drivers?

After the switch I accidently DL'd some 32bit stuff because of habits...

Yeah, that's the first thing I checked and the latest drivers I installed are for 64bit systems. Thanks for the suggestion!