RME Stuff

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
Anyone here have experience with the RME stuff? I'm thinking about upgrading my Echo Layla converters and was looking at the ADI-8. The Octamic also looks like it might be cool for tracking drums affordably.

Opinions? Good stuff or should I look elsewhere?

The RME stuff, from what I've heard about it, is excellent, especially like if you get a Fireface 800 and then pipe an Octamic D into it with ADAT optical. It's pretty well priced considering the supposed quality of those converters.

i have a fireface 800. rock solid performance, either hardware and driver-wise. The totalmix patchbay rulles. the driver menu rocks. The pre-amps aren´t bad but if you can use better ones, go for it.

I ran a Hammerfall setup with 3 Fostex VC8's reliably for years.

_RiseInside_ said:
i have a fireface 800. rock solid performance, either hardware and driver-wise. The totalmix patchbay rulles. the driver menu rocks. The pre-amps aren´t bad but if you can use better ones, go for it.

Fireface 800 here as well. Great sound, great routing, and it really takes the pain out of making up headphone cue mixes for the band. It's fabulous.

Andy, if you had to compare the RME's to a PT convertor, where would they sit?
mixplus or HD? Suposed they're running on the same digital specs (bitrates etc...)

Cheers,

Soundscaper

well they are way better than the old tdm 888 24's, blew those into the water at a 3rd of the price. Its very close with the 192 but the 192 is a tiny bit more open, and the Cranesong is the best of the lot. But I'd still happily track an album through the RME's, great value , you wont go wrong with them.

Ok, gents, you've inspired me.

I just picked up a scratch and dent Hammerfall HDSP 9632 for $475 from Musician's Friend. Should be a total score as long as they got all the dung and sheep fur off of it.

I'm getting more into ITB mastering than tracking now, so I really only need two good AD/DA channels. FWIW, the 9632 allegedly has the same converters as the ADI-2. This is upgrading an Audiophile 2496 on my home PC, so I'm hoping to see a decent gain.

I'll probably tack on an ADI-8 if I get more into tracking semi-professionally and can justify (afford) it.

Thanks for the input as always. I love you guys! (sniffle!)