RME vs. API preamp

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
here's a wee comparison of API and RME preamps

2 tracks of guitar through Mesa Dual Rec. miced with a single sm57. (AD was RME ADI8 on both files)

RME

API

(compare at equal volumes).

well, these differences may seem rather small now, but as the trackcount increases it adds up...for a full mix the difference is quite obvious then....
but this'll do for the rough idea

the API sound more smooth to me
and RME - a little bit thin and fuzzy

hmm really huge difference

The api's sounded better, but The rme's sounded usable.

yeah, they're alright.
when I'd have to pick pres in the 400€ range I'd go with something different though.

for example the SPL goldmike MKI (2 really good preamps for vox, overheads, acoustics)
or the focusrite octopre LE...(8 preamps that are better than the RME)

huge difference...

the API sounds like a record

the RME sounds like a jam

nice comparison!

nicely put! and thanks.

yeah, I feel like the API just reflects honestly how the source sounds AND adds mojo (I know, sounds like a contradiction).
most cheaper preamps give the source this "blanket/underwater" character.
although, as stated above, the differences may seem subtle on the first listen...it' a whole different thing in a busy mix though

Thanks, good comparison, API is definitely better but those RME are really good given the price.

I would like to see a firepod vs API. Firepod and RME can give some great results, 100% capable of producing pro sounds IMO. Give me the money and id have 24 Neve 1073's and a few API 3124's but this shows you can get great sounds from a absolute fraction of the price.

Lots of this thing on gearslutz, but with the obvious banter that goes with that site :lol:

Really? Is that the "green series" preamps that are in the whole platinum range?

not 100% sure, but that might very well be the case.

the preamps sound very transparent and really good for the money (the Octopre LE is like 380€ or something).
for a little extra you'll get the AD conversion option as well...

can't be beat for the price!

I got an octopre just to have some extra preamps and I'm actually using them on recordings sometimes (toms and hihat mostly)...I like them quite a abit better than the RME.

not 100% sure, but that might very well be the case.

the preamps sound very transparent and really good for the money (the Octopre LE is like 380€ or something).
for a little extra you'll get the AD conversion option as well...

can't be beat for the price!

I got an octopre just to have some extra preamps and I'm actually using them on recordings sometimes (toms and hihat mostly)...I like them quite a abit better than the RME.

Yeah for sure and thats good news because I was recently looking at the Twin Trak Pro since I don't record live drums the 2 pre's would suit me which have the same pre's are the Octo and as you said also have the AD conversion package going on.

Have you had any experience with the Twin Trak?

Hopefully not going off topic too much :lol:

Yeah for sure and thats good news because I was recently looking at the Twin Trak Pro since I don't record live drums the 2 pre's would suit me which have the same pre's are the Octo and as you said also have the AD conversion package going on.

Have you had any experience with the Twin Trak?

Hopefully not going off topic too much :lol:

nope, but I'd still get the octo if I were you....there'll very likely be the time when you need the extra preamps (3 mics on a cab for example)...ad the LE isn't much more expensive than the twin trak

nope, but I'd still get the octo if I were you....there'll very likely be the time when you need the extra preamps (3 mics on a cab for example)...ad the LE isn't much more expensive than the twin trak

Yeah I guess ill look into it a bit futher. I was looking at the RME stuff not long ago but the prices were a bit high for me, ive got a Focusrite saffire pro now and ive always been impressed with Focusrites value for money so I think ill stick in this range...the API sounds spot on btw :headbang:

Infact the Octo LE is way cheaper than the Twin Trak Pro, is the LE any good?

The API probably sounds more present because it's about a dB louder on average (-7.93 and -9.15 dB RMS compared to the RME's -9.14 and -10.17 according to Sonalksis FreeG). Turn it down 1 dB for your comparison and you'll notice the difference is pretty much negligible. You'd get a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more noticeable difference just by moving the mic a quarter inch.