www.royalcarnage.com
Seen the new re-releases? Fucking sweet:

Annihilator - Alice in Hell / Never Neverland
Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican / The Law
Mercyful Fate - The Beginning / Melissa
Obituary - Slowly We Rot / Cause of Death
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse / Testimony of the Ancients
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten / Pierced From Within

All of the above: $16 each. That's $8 for a classic album. Booyaka!

I wanna buy that Pestilence re-release for Consuming Impulse, but I don't want Testimony twice....any takers of my existing copy?

Also, how about Obituary, Suffocation, Exhorder...any thoughts on these - I used to own the Obituary's, but don't have any Suffocation or Exhorder. So shoot me, but before you do so, tell me whether I should be stocking up on these or not.

:Spin:

I don't think these are re-masters. Looks like the old recordings.

Here is a qoute from RR website

THE BEST - 9.18.2003

So, last Tuesday (9/09), we released our Two From The Vault series: 9 bands, 2 albums per band, each sold as a double CD set. The bands: Annihilator, Suffocation, Exhorder, Front Line Assembly, Gang Green, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Obituary, and Pestilence.

After one week of being of being on the market, which band's offering sold the most? Take a guess...intermission music...

Well, that question was asked here yesterday. And when asked, someone yelled out, "EXHORDER." And you know what, that person was 100% correct. Exhorder's Slaughter In The Vatican and The Law was the best selling piece on this the first week of the Two From The Vault releases. Chiming in shortly after the correct answer, one Roadrunner vet added proudly, "two of the best records this label EVER put out."
Back in the days I had pretty much every one of these releases, but right now I would pick up the Obituary and the Pestilence ones.

I nevr really got into Exhorder, they were a little generic for me but they got this cult reputation and their releases have been long out of print explaining the quote above.

Suffocation is a must of course, but all in all they are all classics in their own way.

EXHORDER were great. Very popular in Louisiana and Texas for sure. They are also known as the band that PANTERA stylistically ripped off when they decided to get heavy and not sound like Dokken/Judas Priest anymore.

Slaughter In The Vatican is one of the best cds Roadrunner ever released. Right up there with Pestilence, Sepultura, and Malevolent Creation.

I have the Slowly We Rot remaster from the mid 90's already.

As far as Suffocation goes... visit the RC Suffocation thread you nerd!!

Black Winter Day said:
bought the annihilator one tonight. . .

the verdict: FUCKING sweet!
Trust me when I say, these are the ONLY two Annihilator albums you'll ever need.

Just listen to the guitar work on Stonewall (especially the solo). Waters at his best, and one of the best solos of all time.

By the way, Jeff Waters and Kai Hansen will be collaborating as soon as the next Annihilator album is wrapped up. Should be interesting....!

Hmmm, didn't know about the Annihilator and Exhorder re-releases. Seeing as my birthday comes in just over a fortnight, I think I have my wish list sorted! :D

Papa Josh said:
EXHORDER were great. Very popular in Louisiana and Texas for sure. They are also known as the band that PANTERA stylistically ripped off when they decided to get heavy and not sound like Dokken/Judas Priest anymore.

Slaughter In The Vatican is one of the best cds Roadrunner ever released. Right up there with Pestilence, Sepultura, and Malevolent Creation.

I have the Slowly We Rot remaster from the mid 90's already.

As far as Suffocation goes... visit the RC Suffocation thread you nerd!!
Let me ask - I've read descriptions of Suffocation and they're described as 'brutal death metal', but are there any variations between the songs (a la Pestilence) or is every song pretty much the same same?

Do you think Exhorder has stood the test of time? I saw them described as a "fast Dark Angel", but in all honesty, stuff like Darkness Descends sounds badly dated...

JayKeeley said:
Let me ask - I've read descriptions of Suffocation and they're described as 'brutal death metal', but are there any variations between the songs (a la Pestilence) or is every song pretty much the same same?

Do you think Exhorder has stood the test of time? I saw them described as a "fast Dark Angel", but in all honesty, stuff like Darkness Descends sounds badly dated...

Perhaps, but I think "Time Does Not Heal" from Dark Angel stands the test!

Suffocation is the shit. Pure and simple. I dare you to not fall in love with Pierced From Within.

Papa Josh said:
Suffocation is the shit. Pure and simple. I dare you to not fall in love with Pierced From Within.
You're probably the only person who has never let me down yet with a recommendation. Consider it bought - thing is, should I get the double re-release for $16 or should I hunt down Pierced only for cheaper, and forget about Effigy?

should I hunt down Pierced only for cheaper, and forget about Effigy?
yes!

Personally, to me Exhorder sounded pretty generic even back then, never understood what the big deal was about them. They actually became more a cult favorite of people after their releases went out of print, but at the time of the original releases they never really made a dent on the scene.

I would have to listen to them again, but somehow I have a feeling that they will not meet the test of time.

Hey! I just realized you forgot to list one of them...

Gang Green - You Got It / Older...

Me and my buddy went record shopping today and he bought several of these releases. To be honest, Roadrunner really delivered total shit packaging on these. No lyrics, minimal album information, a picture or two, and retarded ass comments from Mike Gitter. They have a panel for each album cover, but boy is it a shitty scan of the original. Just really crappy treatment by RR in my opinion. Fortunately for me, I own all of the albums individually. The only one I would recommend buying would be Exhorder, because those cds are hard to find otherwise. Every other one can be found with minimal difficulty (to my knowledge) and you'd just be better off owning the original than these poorly packaged rereleases.

In all seriousness, the albums by Exhorder, Obituary, Suffocation, and Pestilence are absolutely positively necessary to own. No one in their right mind has a good excuse for not having these. So get to it! :)

Who the hell are Gang Green? :erk:

Daft as it might sound...what's the mixing like on these rereleases? Cos I hate those cheapy reissues where you need to turn your stereo up to 10 to get some decent volume, and even then it sounds cheapy...know what I mean? >_<

Ayeka said:
Who the hell are Gang Green? :erk:
Older-BudCover.jpg

They were a beer loving Boston skate punk band, with some metal leanings. Probably not a lot of people here into them, but it was one of the Roadrunner re-issues. :)

Myself, I like them.

Daft as it might sound...what's the mixing like on these rereleases? Cos I hate those cheapy reissues where you need to turn your stereo up to 10 to get some decent volume, and even then it sounds cheapy...know what I mean? >_<
What I listened to, they sound fine. If that's all you care about, then go buy them. However if you're a packaging whore like myself, beware.

That is a classic photo. And if what I'm hearing is true, I'd go get the original releases with lyrics and original packaging... on all of the above.

I hate when labels do this, and re-release shit, only half-assed. It's like, "uh, we really don't associate ourselves with this metal stuff anymore, but we realize there's a few bucks in this, so we'll make them without much effort or money on our part..."

Bastards.