I love death metal

it's stupid that metal apparently is LIVING IN THE FUCKING PAST so badly that the general consensus nowadays is that the right thing to do is release old albums in shining golden "DEFINITIVE HISTORIC HALL OF FAME VERSION" editions and watch old bands perform their old albums in their entirety with a nostalgic tear in their eye
The problem is, it's all been done. What avenue is left for Metal? Metal has gone in every possible direction, to every possible extreme. All that's left is to mix and match influences and write quality songs.

The problem is, it's all been done. What avenue is left for Metal? Metal has gone in every possible direction, to every possible extreme. All that's left is to mix and match influences and write quality songs.

yeah, no offense brotherman, but if there's anything that's been DONE, it's this discussion

there's still plenty to be done, but people are lazy and unimaginative

there's still plenty to be done, but people are lazy and unimaginative
Well obviously I can't conceive of those things which I can't imagine. However, it seems logical to me that the boundaries of any given genre are limited. At a certain point, creativity and imagination can only push a genre's boundaries only so far, before those boundaries breakdown and the music ceases to be part of that genre or even a sub-genre within that genre. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with that. However, it doesn't qualify as being something new within the genre in question (wow... I used the word "genre" often during that paragraph).

Just curious, anyone know how many new sub genres of Classical, Jazz and Blues still emerge each year or even each decade?

However, it seems logical to me that the boundaries of any given genre are limited.

okay well if you went back to 1975 when black sabbath and judas priest were the hottest new things and played them suffocation or skepticism or ildjarn, would they think it was metal? the boundaries keep changing, only the "spirit" remains the same

i mean metal is really very loosely defined, but if you know, you know

okay well if you went back to 1975 when black sabbath and judas priest were the hottest new things and played them suffocation or skepticism or ildjarn, would they think it was metal? the boundaries keep changing, only the "spirit" remains the same
That's a fair point. However, when you speak of 1975, you're speaking of a genre that was five years old. I'm talking about a genre that's now 40 years old. During that time, Metal has been played as fast as humans can possibly play instruments, to as slow as they can play instruments, and incorporated everything from Opera to Jazz, as well as leveraged every sound the human voice can make. At some point, I would think the possibilities begin to dwindle. And I think this is born out by the fact that the last ten years has brought us very little that's new.

In the end, I hope I'm wrong. I would like to see the genre continue to evolve. I just think at a certain point, a genre goes as far as it can go.

it's stupid that metal apparently is LIVING IN THE FUCKING PAST so badly that the general consensus nowadays is that the right thing to do is release old albums in shining golden "DEFINITIVE HISTORIC HALL OF FAME VERSION" editions and watch old bands perform their old albums in their entirety with a nostalgic tear in their eye

Did you forget to eat breakfast today? You seem a little cranky. :p

I don't recall if that album was available on vinyl back in the day (I think it was?) but, if not, I'm not against it being available on a new format. I think the Hall of Fame shit is nonsense, but whatever. It's big business. That's what Relapse does.

As for performing the entire album, why not? It will be a cool experience for new and old fans. I saw them at least 4 times across the first two albums and there are tracks off of that record that I've not seen live and would love to. Were they to do a full tour with it, I'd say it was overkill...this isn't Maiden, afterall. However, these are 3 shows that are basically regional for them so it's not that big a deal. Besides, it's not like they're washed up and haven't done anything of value for a decade (though it has been a few years)...

I completely see where you're coming from, but I don't think it really applies here (except for the cheesy HoF angle).

i don't necessarily think it's a measurable thing, but i don't think it's relevant if people invent new sub-sub-sub-genres, because there can be significant evolution within something like "death metal" or "heavy metal" without the need for a new label. i think the entire "elite symphonic/progressive avant-garde paganthrashing cybergrind" thing got way out of hand about fifteen years ago so i try to call a spade a spade these days

what's important is if there are still bands and releases within the larger genre that are breaking new ground or showing great vitality, and this is not quantifiable