Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Rob Rock – Holy Hell
Candlelight Records USA– CANUS0122- September 20, 2005
By Rodrigo Escandon

holyhell_cover.jpg

I am probably one of the biggest Rob Rock fans around. Ever since I was first introduced to his singing with Eye of the Hurricane I have been a big proponent that he has one of the best voices in metal and to my sadness he doesn’t get recognized or talked about very often. Holy Hell is now his third solo album and he once again has teamed up with Roy Z (producer/co-writer) and they have created an album worthy of your attention.

Opening with the powerful and speedy “Slayer of Souls” is a fantastic move since this is one of the heaviest tracks of the album, it gives the album an immediate impact upon the listener and it showcases a newer side of Rob’s music. “Holy Hell” continues the heavy and speedy vibe established by the opening track. “First Winds of the End of Time” is the second song and it showcases a slower pace but it still has a very heavy feel. The guitar solo section that starts at 2:16 is definitely one of my favorites of the album. “The Lion of Judah” maintains this same type of pace and guitar crunch but it is a tad weaker since it does get a little repetitive. However, you are beginning to get the idea that with this album Rob is showing a more aggressive musical side than he did in his two previous efforts.

“Calling Angels” and “I’m A Warrior” are two songs in Holy Hell that don’t feature the heavier vibe and they are more of a nod to Rob’s previous two albums. However, this doesn’t mean that they are of lesser quality because they are just as enjoyable as the rest of the album. “I’m A Warrior” has the best guitar solo in the album that starts at 3:00 and “Calling Angels” has one of the best sing-along choruses in the album.

Unfortunately, there are some negatives to talk about and the first would be the down right awful ballad “I’ll Be Waiting For You”. There is nothing redeeming about this song and this is the first Rob Rock song that I actually have to skip. The second negative is the closing ballad “Move On”. Despite the fact that it has a guest appearance by Tobias Sammett I just can’t get past the ultra-cheesy chorus that just ruins it for me. Holy Hell would have been best served by closing with “The Revelation” rather than by this ballad. Finally, some may find the fact that a lot of the lyrics have Christian themes as a negative. I don’t find this to be a weakness and this is actually a constant theme in Rob’s albums but I felt like pointing it out.

Overall, Holy Hell is a great album and the flaws of the two ballads don’t diminish the fact that this is still a very enjoyable album. Rob’s singing is still of excellent quality and he has now shown a more aggressive side to his music that was very cool to hear.

8/10

Rob Rock Official Website
Candlelight Records USA Official Website

Agreed completely on this review. The two ballads are awful, but the heavy stuff like "Slayer of Souls" and "Lion of Judah" is great straight-up metal. Some of the tracks definitely have the Roy Z hand on them, as they sound similar to stuff that could have been on the "Chemical Wedding" album...:headbang: