Robert Plant - Ian Gillan repost....

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
OK, I posted this already, but it was blank for some reason....

Anyway, just a shout out here to say that the new Robert Plant album is awesome. I hope some of you will check it out. Like you (probably) I thought the 90s albums, hell pretty much all his solo stuff, were shyte. The new one though, Mighty Rearranger, is a fantastic return to form...
It's kind of a mix between Zeppelin III, Physical Graffitti, and a little of In Through The Out Door. I'm not saying it rivals those, per se, but it has that vibe, and all the songs are great! I can't say enough good about it, especially after having been dissapointed by his solo albums so many times (I'm a huge Zep fan, and though I support any ex-band member of any band going their "own way," Robert has finally made some peace with his past and revitalized it at the same time. I can't recommend this album enough).....Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation - Mighty Rearranger.

Oh, and the Gillan thing. I read recently that Iommi was in the studio with Ian cutting a new version of Trashed for release on the album Ian is working on that spans his whole career. Basically remakes of favorites from Purple, various Gillan bands, and (so it would seem) Sabbath. I even believe I heard that he was doing something from Jesus Christ Superstar (for you true Gillan fanatics). The man's a god. Can't wait for that album. Ya'll mighta known this, but I hadn't seen any posts about the Trashed thing....so there ya go.

ElectricWiz said:
Oh, and the Gillan thing. I read recently that Iommi was in the studio with Ian cutting a new version of Trashed for release on the album Ian is working on that spans his whole career. Basically remakes of favorites from Purple, various Gillan bands, and (so it would seem) Sabbath. I even believe I heard that he was doing something from Jesus Christ Superstar (for you true Gillan fanatics). The man's a god. Can't wait for that album. Ya'll mighta known this, but I hadn't seen any posts about the Trashed thing....so there ya go.

Gillan rules, at least with Deep Purple. Never cared for his solo career, but I have "Born Again" and "Jesuschrist Superstar", for obvious reasons.

I like he acknowledge his Sabbath past because he was never too happy with it

Wyvern said:
Gillan rules, at least with Deep Purple. Never cared for his solo career, but I have "Born Again" and "Jesuschrist Superstar", for obvious reasons.

I like he acknowledge his Sabbath past because he was never too happy with it

Yeah, that's why the Trashed business struck me as such big news. Gillan was extremely vocal about disliking the record etc. Go figure. Should be interesting to hear what they do with it.

Wyvern said:
Gillan rules, at least with Deep Purple. Never cared for his solo career, [snip]

Which of his solo albums did you hear? Did you hear "Future Shock" cause thats a really good album.

Hawk said:
Which of his solo albums did you hear? Did you hear "Future Shock" cause thats a really good album.

Scattered songs from "Mr. Universe", "Scarabus", "Clean Air Turbulence", "Toolbox".

Again nothing to make me go for them.

ElectricWiz said:
Anyway, just a shout out here to say that the new Robert Plant album is awesome.

Sounds pretty cool. I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the review.

ElectricWiz said:
Oh, and the Gillan thing. I read recently that Iommi was in the studio with Ian cutting a new version of Trashed for release on the album Ian is working on that spans his whole career.

That sounds pretty cool too. I'm a fan of Born Again. I thought it was a pretty fair record at the time and I still spin it on occasion. I'm more of a Dio/Martin Sabbath type but for a one-off from two of the biggest in the business it ain't too shabby.

the problem with Plant is he tries to emulate Zep riffs here and there on his solo work instead of making new ground so to speak... at least that is my assessment...

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
the problem with Plant is he tries to emulate Zep riffs here and there on his solo work instead of making new ground so to speak... at least that is my assessment...

Nah, that's a fair criticism. However, the new release simultaneously revels in the past and finds a new comfort zone that really works, as if Robert is finally at peace with who he was and is at the same time. Even the lyrical themes reflect this. I'm a harsh critic of rehash/reunion/living on the past/what have you, and I'm telling you....I reeeeeeally like the new record.