Rock mix - advices please

Untruth

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2006
Hi guys, this is my first post here, even if I've been already a big reader.
It was a great pleasure to steal some Andy Sneap recording tricks and also it' s great to have a great guitarist like James Murphy here (I'm also a guitarist)

So this is the latest mix from my band Stick It Out (recorded by me and my mate Dave in our small 'garage' studio)
www.soundclick.com/elliottgarage (listen to the 'I Wanna Be A Parasite Too" song)

I need all your advices and I'm quite tired from hours of mixing.
I go to bury my ears now :loco:

P.S. un saluto a tutti gli italiani del forum! ci si vede a qualche concerto :headbang:
P.P.S. maybe, musically, you prefer my other band withate (www.myspace.com/withate) the recording are quite old anyway

sounds relaly good, the only thing id say is that thier is overall too much bass. i think its mostly just the kick drum but its making my computer speaker sub go nuts and i was just listening to some rock style music wich didnt sound this bassy. otherwise its pretty tight

hey, thanks for the good comments...
for what concern the bass frequencies is strange 'cause indeed I think the overall sound is a bit thin...maybe it' s a kick problem

It does sound a bit thin. Maybee you should just take some energy out of the really sub frequencies, like 50Hz and below, with a high pass on the kick and bass. Then you could work on the low/ low mids to put some body back into the mix.

i think the drums and vocals sound good. The bass is alittle quiet, and the guitars aren't "rocking" enough for me. I think they would be better if they were just riffing instead of using wahs, or pinch harmonics or whatever effect is is all the time. Also this kind of rock makes me want a big wall of guitars, which i think it's lacking. otherwise, very cool.

i think the drums and vocals sound good. The bass is alittle quiet, and the guitars aren't "rocking" enough for me. I think they would be better if they were just riffing instead of using wahs, or pinch harmonics or whatever effect is is all the time. Also this kind of rock makes me want a big wall of guitars, which i think it's lacking. otherwise, very cool.

yeah, you're right...but at a certain point in the band life we have decided to sacrifice a little the riffing and guitar "virtusism" (ahahah) just to make the song more listenable. (At the beginning the band plays more pantera style riffs).
Moreover now it's a lot of fun in the live contest, it's more a 'punk-rock' attitude.