Rock recommendations.

Pyro

The guy from the internet
Dec 9, 2005
Sydney, Australia
www.pyromusic.net
I'm after nothing but excellent rock, primarily hard rock/heavy rock/pub rock. There's some leeway I guess...bands that cross over to other genres.. but I'm talking AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, Motorhead (borderline metal), Scorpions, Airboure etc..

Name drop away, with links to hear material if possible. Explanations will also be helpful but I won't come rape you if you don't explain/describe.

If you haven't heard the first 4 bands I listed you fail at life.

Here's Airbourne (best thing since condoms were invented. Seriously. Pretty fucking obvious where they draw inspiration from...and yes, they're aussie, and yes, there are brothers in the band): http://myspace.com/airbournerock

Goat Horn: http://myspace.com/goathorn (not exactly their best material on that page, but hot nonetheless)

Caldron: http://www.myspace.com/cauldronmetal (This is what 2/3 of Goat Horn became when they split. Still early days)

Kill Cheerleader: http://www.myspace.com/killcheerleader

Your turn, sluts.

Dreadnaught
Hear them at www.myspace.com/dreadnaughtmusic
I'd describe them at times as Jimmy Barnes cranked up to "metal", other times Rose Tattoo with twice the aggression... either way they are a fucking awesome band and what's more they're Aussie too.

Thunderhead
Don't know of any online samples but they're probably the best American example I can think of. Top notch blend of pub rock attitude and gutter humour.

Dreadnaught have hot solos, and some very good riffs..vocals just throw me off. They're still worth watching live though, which I've done a small handful of times. I really can't get past the vox...

thxferret More plz.

The Poor (AUS)- first ep only.

Candy Harlots (AUS) - First ep and the first two singles before the album.

Push Push (NZ) - A trillions shades of happy (trippin and beating up bullfrogs are two of the best things to ever come out of NZ)

Thin Lizzy - everything that they wrote was amazing(check out Warriors on Jailbreak).

Maybe even the first LA Guns record.

Ok i don't know if this band would be up your alley and you've probably heard them anyway but here goes:
Monster Magnet: Some of their more recent stuff is not that great but Dopes to Infinity is an amazing album. Psychedelic 70's influenced acid trip hard rock.

+1 for the mark of cain. Picking up John Stainer from when helmet split up didn't hurt them either.

monster magnet is good as well. I'd love them just for the pimpish blue pvc jumpsuit that Dave Wyndorf wears in the spacelord clip. There best of isn't a bad way to start.

i have to say one of the best aussie pub gigs i've been to was the beasts of bourbon.

Thanks for the recommendations so far all.

Nothing is wrong with the vocals from a technical perspective. They suit the music in that respect, and are pretty powerfuly, they just don't click with me, to the point where they detract from the music significantly by rubbing me the wrong way. I could explain it as well as the reason for me hating the taste of avocado. I don't know why I don't like it, I just don't.

Nothing is wrong with the vocals from a technical perspective. They suit the music in that respect, and are pretty powerfuly, they just don't click with me, to the point where they detract from the music significantly by rubbing me the wrong way. I could explain it as well as the reason for me hating the taste of avocado. I don't know why I don't like it, I just don't.

You noob!

Avocado is the BUSINESS.

OK. I find that quite strange actually. Greg's got one of the best voices in rock.