rolling movie thread

ichi the killer was decent. battle royale, eh. both suffered from INCREDIBLE overhype by ataru types who think that anything with slanty eyes is manna from heaven, which gives you the most ridiculous expectations that can never be fulfilled.

i think you will continue to be disappointed by japanese horror as long as you internalize our culture's idea that japanese horror is awesomly better than american horror. (i totally have, and i'm trying to stamp it out. that's why so much of miike disappointed me)

I really enjoyed the US version of The Ring which made me believe some of the hype. I think I'll see Battle Royale because the premise is so intriguing, but if it leaves me lacking, I'm not gonna persue anything else.

Ringu is better and worse. It's not as resonant with people who didn't grow up in Japan--the goblins and volcanoes stuff plays a lot more like fantasy/myths/tales from an Other land than it would to Japanese (as a part of their youth).

On a completely different note, Saved! was hilarious, give those evangelical bastards the satire they deserve. Kinda shocked that Mandy Moore would take a somewhat controversial role.

yeah, I've really been looking forward to seeing it. that, and Mean Girls. Netflix means never having to miss out on populists films I wouldn't normally bother with.

Mean girls is another work of brilliance. I definitely didn't see it the second weekend it was out with my male NYU film student friend.

my knowledge of asian horror is really limited, but of the ones i've seen, Horror Hotline-Big Head Monster and Pulse (or Sorum, which is Korean) were imo worth checking out. not gory at all, just creepy.

avi said:
so now the question is: do I give up on Japanese horror? I still have Battle Royale in my nicheflix queue and am curious about The Eye, Suicide Circle and Uzumaki among others. Am I just setting myself up for disappointment?

I can't recommend The Eye, but Dark Waters, and Audition stood out to me as quite good.

Also, has anyone seen cannibal holocaust? It looks like it'd be a lot of fun (in a highly disturbing way).

I have absolutely zero intention of ever seeing cannibal holocaust. that's like the last movie I want to see, so I'm gonna ignore your other recommendations.

i've given up on japanese horror, and most asian films as a whole.

all of it is overblown trash.

what was that preview clip everyone was shitting over last year? cassern or something close to that? do you recall those big sugar eggs with the semi-elaborate dioramas inside? do you think they are the same type of thing?