rolling movie thread

Bruce Willis is pretty much always terrible, unless he is put in a situation where he diesn't have to act, Unbreakable was one of those situation. I think Unbreakable was the best comic book/superhero movie in a long time, it really captured the essence of what comic books are and left the crappy stuff out. As Alex said it was an amazing exercise in restrain and subtility.

bruce willis, for being terrible, has been in a LOT of GREAT fucking movies.

12 monkeys
pulp fiction
unbreakable!
the sixth sense

ummm okay maybe not A LOT A LOT but a helluva lot more than many actors.

You guys left out an obvious classic, Diehard. Now that my friends, is a brilliant, mindless action film. Though, the first one is really the only truly great one.

I really like Bruce Willis. He's by no means a "great" actor, but I almost always like his movies.

saw Zatoichi last night. the amount of blood spurting in this film is just ridiculous - it's like Mortal Kombat come to life. as for the movie, it was very well-made, but kinda meh overall. a few good moments, but not nearly as compelling as it should have been. I do have to say that the use of sound though, is excellent.

I saw Internal Affairs and Internal Affairs II (Wu jian dao) this weekend. Those two are pretty good but my beef is that it could've been edited down by a good 20 minutes and be a lot better.

Avi: is IAT down at the mo for you?

i watched about 4 minutes of darkness, as i was trying to figure out whether it was shot in native spanish or later overdubbed or a mix. it turns out, in the end, that i didn't care.

i used to hate godzilla vs mechagodzilla 74, but i've watched it twice since the remastered version came out. i think seeing it in the theater as a kid (1978?) ruined it for me. my cousins laughed (rudely) at parts i took seriously, and then, a year or so later, one of them told me how he wanted to "fuck" the azumi princess while it was showing on cable.

creature from the black lagoon is one of the only 50s-era movies of this type that can hold its own with most stuff put out lately. a lot more (good) quasi-science than i remember. faster pace. respectable talent.

I watched Ichi the Killer last night. It was okay, but mostly just tedious. I guess I'm just not that entertained by gore. The movie is just way too long and not particularly engaging character-wise. I didn't care about anyone one way or another and was tempted to turn it off numerous times.

so now the question is: do I give up on Japanese horror? I still have Battle Royale in my nicheflix queue and am curious about The Eye, Suicide Circle and Uzumaki among others. Am I just setting myself up for disappointment?

Shaolin Soccer is awesome. I'm got it in my netflix queue to watch again in the near future.

tonight: Elf!
other stuff on hand:Saved, Exotica and Ariel, a movie from Finnish director Aki Kaurismaki who I really, really enjoy. Too bad it's incredibly hard to find Finnish films, because I've really liked everything I've seen.