rolling movie thread

i didn't like hero beyond the leaf scene, and i'm gonna get slammed for this but i watched shaolin soccer last night and was gasping at how shitty it was...

haha i remember now

the prize was at Lollicup, i think, and it involved a lifesize cardboard cutout of some asian dude doing a karate kick on a soccer ball or something. i was like "w/e".

saw Dirty Pretty Things this weekend and it was pretty good, even though it got a bit hammy/cliched at times. the ending was definitely handled well.

you could probably roll audrey tautou in shit and she'd still be one of the most gorgeous women ever

saw a bit of The Reckoning last night and it seemed pretty cool. Well-filmed, that's for sure. My wife watched the whole thing and seemed to think it was a bit more 'hollywood' than the book (Morality Tale), but she enjoyed it anyways.

Mr. Show season 4 comes out today!

saw Onksdan (Evil) last night and it was pretty good. Is it just me, or does every recent internationall renown Scandinavian movie seem to take place in the 50s? Anyhow, pretty good movie even though it had some unnessessary sappiness and could've been a bit deeper emotionally. It did a great job at making me tense as I awaited Erik's revenge on everyone who wronged him. Good use of fast, brutal violence.

saw The Phantom Lover yesterday. It's billed as kind of the HK version of Phantom of the Opera, which is not terribly accurate, but works in a way. Good set design, mediocre plot, horrible canto-pop songs repeated way too much. Pass.

viewed:

kill bill 2. i'm eh on the old-school fighting/worship, both parts. i guess i feel the same way about cover albums, and to be honest the regular tarantino parts fascinate me way more than the novelty of the homages.

i am completely in love with uma now, esp the biological cruelty of seeing her, as it said at the end of the movie, play lioness to a cub. it arose every feeling that the original 101 dalmations taught me as a kid.

i have started watching dawn of the mummy. i've always wanted to see this. 1981 italian-funded dreck and cashing in on the zombi craze. it looks to be incredibly boring and supposedly the only payoff is the ending, of which i am 80 minutes away.

seen, not scene, this weekend:

Lilja 4-ever
Why do I watch movies that I know will totally bum me out? It's a really good film, but totally depressing. Kinda reminded me a bit of "Breaking the waves" actually, but not quite as surreally brutal. The extra Q&A with director Lukas Moodyson on the disc was excellent though - he's a very smart guy and probably one of my most favorite directors working right now.

The Station Agent
Kinda low on plot, but strong on characters and acting. There isn't a lot that happens in this movie, but it's still worth seeing anyways because it's so well-made and, well, just kinda sweet and charming.