rolling movie thread

I was terribly bored by Stoker's book. Mind you I was 17 when I read it. I have yet to see the Herzog Nosferatu. The original and Shadow of the Vampire where pretty damn good if you ask me...

yeah, that was a good trio of films last yr! the classic is just awesome in silence and the herzog one is artistically creepy- with some pretty silent but scary times as well and some awesome scenery. think i fell asleep in shadow though.

finished yojimbo last night, and it was really good. may see if the used copy is still available. i knew those films influenced the spaghetti westerns, but didn't realize Fistfull of Dollars was actually based on Yojimbo. tonight is eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

Hm, I actually really liked what I read of Stoker's novel when I was reading it in the summer. I had to stop and read another book for a school project, so maybe I'll pick it up again soon. I stopped right when they (spoiler!!) killed Lucy.

The eternal sunshine review, I watched it with an ex-girlfriend and afterwards, I was required to speak, at length, about my opinion on forgetting about our relationship forever, needless to say, very uncomfortable.

oh crap. yeah, that'd be bad.

"at length" = very important phrase included there. i imagine a quiet dorm room, (sans TheDope) with no place to go and hours of somber staring at each other with a lot of stuttering.

well, it was her dorm room so, luckily I was not required to do that, I did have to drive back afterwards because I felt really uncomfortable hanging out afterwards, so kicking myself out to drive 150 miles at 4 am (movie ended at 11:30) after that conversation with a really odd feeling, a lot of frustration, no small bit of rage, and a ton of sleepiness.

great, a 4-hr trip to continue said convo on your own. what a wonderfull environment conducive to self-doubt about your past relationships.

btw, i started the Seven Samurai kurosawa film last night- so far, i like it best (of yojimbo and rashomon, although i'd like to see rashomon again as it seems like it'd become better upon repeat viewings). the story is easily accessible even though it's a long movie. don't spoil it please, i still have to watch the third hour.

I tried to watch Shallow Grave last night, but I just didn't have the stomach to deal with awful people doing increasingly awful things only to end up dead. Just seemed like an exercise in futility so I sent it back.

"Shallow Grave" is pretty great. it was a staple movie of high school.

"Saw" had its good parts, but the acting was unbelievably bad. I also saw it on DVD so the picture/sound quality was pretty bad.

Musa (the warrior)
even though this movie was ridiculously long (2.5 hrs) and brutal, I still must say that I enjoy asian epics.

Watched Elling last night. Probably a little sappy for most people here, but it really hit the spot for me.

well, Saw, in comparison to the first movie remotely like it that comes to mind (Seven), was imo less stellar in the acting field, but i don't necessarily think it was what i'd call bad acting. brad pitt and morgan freeman and kevin spacey esp were just amazing in seven. Saw had stronger points in its story and twists than in its acting, and the more i thought about it afterward, the more i liked it. lots of things that seemed obvious would be a key point did turn out to play a part, but not the way you expected them to (trying to be vague, yet make a point here).

also, just finished Once Upon a Time in China, and may look for the trilogy as it was pretty decent. are the second two as good?

actually, now the more I've had time to think about it, I probably wouldn't recommend Musa. the acting, directing, blah blah blah is all done well I guess, but the story kind of falls apart at the end and it really is just ridiculously heavy on the brutal battle scenes.
why does everyone feel the need to make all their action sequences like that hyper-kinetic film style that saving private ryan used for the beach-storming part? gah, what an annoying trend.