rolling movie thread

Yes, I think it was my favorite movie from 2004.

I saw A Very Long Engagement this afternoon. I think I appreciated it more having read the book because it's a fairly expansive story with A LOT of characters. It was extremely good, as expected. Maybe a tad slow paced, but not enough to detract from it much at all.

The Life Aquatic. It was slightly different than I expected, but I really liked it. It was definitely charmingly strange, but I think it's going to take at least one more viewing to decide exactly what I think of it.

Spellbound was pretty good. I couldn't believe some of the pressure parents were putting on these kids...

Saw the Incredibles and House of the Flying Daggers these past few days, both were quite entertaining.

I actually thought the parents in Spellbound were much more restrained than I expected. Sure, they put some pressure on, but they all seemed to have fairly realistic expectations.

Saw Bad News Bears for the first time last night. There's no fucking way this movie would get made today, much less get a PG rating. Obviously, not high art, but very entertaining, especially the way it breaks most kids/sport-movie genre conventions.

now if only they'd put Over the Edge out on DVD.

movies seen over the past few days:

kitchen stories:
great, nice and lowkey. good use of silence. kind of a weird ambiguously sad ending.

the office special:
what was said here before is 100% true. it's amazing how surprising the emotional impact is, even when you know what's gonna happen.

anchorman:
actually quite a bit funnier than I expected.

Iron Monkey:
I can't remember if this is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen this, but it's definitely one of my favorite kung-fu films. the action sequences are brilliant.

creature - aka titan find - a west german/american produced ALIEN knock-off made 5-6 years after the ALIEN knock-off craze. this one has a secret weapon, though, and that's about 15 minutes of KLAUS KINSKI screen time, 5 of which feature a double as a zombie KLAUS (the creature has satellite creatures that possess dead people), but it still counts. the real KLAUS makes his entrance as a survivor of a previous alien attack, yet does so by sexually harassing SIMONE from PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE. at one point he emotes an entire backstory with a mouth full of food, which makes me want to seek out a list of movies that feature actors who are talking and eating at the same time.

the creature itself can barely stand, taking Giger's design and sort of misinterpreting it in anatomically disproportionate ways. it would be hard to explain as words, maybe not even worth the time--you'd have to see it to understand. the rubber head droops and hangs as if it were a sick elephant trunk.

the rest of the cast is a mix of semi-recognizable character actors who you just can't remember the names of, and there are strange bits of dialogue that leave you dumbfounded. an idea for killing the monster comes from an actress's reference to the 1954 version of THE THING (she can't remember the name of the movie, of course). early on a woman hints that she isn't an ordinary doctor, she has a secret hobby involving bio-genetics, and then quickly dies before she can say anything else about it.

SPOILER: the jaw dropping end features a major character, who disappeared for half the movie, show up to save the day. after being asked where she was for 45 mins of screen time, she meekly explains "i got lost".

then the two other survivors go off to have sex, but not before the lost woman hands the other woman a paperback novel--the cover of which is never shown??? the end.

saw a bunch of movies in the past few days:

Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle--general lite stoner buddy comedy. decent. funny at times, never really insulting, just passed the mark where I couldn't say "that was decent but I wish I had spent those two hours watching something else" like I did with, say, School of Rock. also, surprisingly progressive, racially.

Garden State--because of the plentitude of people who are like OMG GARDEN STATE TEH BEST MOVIE EVER and the consequential backlash hataz of GARDEN STATE BLOWS types, I expected the movie to be pretty good, but nothing extraordinary. for once, my expectations were met exactly. the ending (last five minutes) was TERRIBLE, however. and I don't mean what happened shouldn't have happened so much as it was shoddily made, badly edited, completely out of pace of the rest of the movie, amateurishly filmed...it felt like someone else directed it after the studios ordered it tacked on a week before the movie's release.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind--Extraordinary!