rolling movie thread

inkybmistro said:
okay. a series of unfortunate events was sweet. great great great. jim carrey is the man.

How popular are those books/film in US? My younger brother has picked up on it, but had he not, I wouldn't even know it existed. Looks funnish though.

Saw Chinatown this evening, and Code Unknown yesterday. They were both pretty excellent.

AndICried said:
How popular are those books/film in US? My younger brother has picked up on it, but had he not, I wouldn't even know it existed. Looks funnish though.

Saw Chinatown this evening, and Code Unknown yesterday. They were both pretty excellent.
chinatown was good.

a series of unfortunate events, movie version has been really heavily adversised. the books never had much popularity as far as i know.

IanDork107 said:
Yeah, I saw that one. I don't really know what it is, but to me that just doesn't look like a Batman movie. When I think of Batman movies I think of over-the-top and great, like the first two movies from the 80's, and this one looks like it's trying to be subtle and artsy or something. I'll still see it unless it gets unanimously panned by every critic.

It looks like this might be a four movie week for me. Last night I saw Kinsey, I need to see Enduring Love, A Very Long Engagement opens on Wednesday and I'm seeing it Thursday afternoon, and The Life Aquatic opens Friday. It'll be 4 films in just over 7 days. I'm psyched.
I don't know much about Batman or the older movies (too young), but this is supposed to be the most faithful Batman yet. The only other Batman thing I remember seeing is the Cartoon Network series, and I thought that was really awesome. It was serious, dark (weird, being an American show on CN and all) and played up the whole vengeful demon side of Batman. This movie looks like it'll go in a similar direction. And Christopher Nolan is directing. How bad can it be?

Firedwarf said:
I don't know much about Batman or the older movies (too young), but this is supposed to be the most faithful Batman yet. The only other Batman thing I remember seeing is the Cartoon Network series, and I thought that was really awesome. It was serious, dark (weird, being an American show on CN and all) and played up the whole vengeful demon side of Batman. This movie looks like it'll go in a similar direction. And Christopher Nolan is directing. How bad can it be?
You and I are probably about the same age, and I too know nothing about the actual comic book batman, but I grew up enjoying the early Batman films, so this one being totally different might be kind of not good. Plus, Christian Bale looks way too downright evil to be the dark knight, IMO.

Roman Polanski is always pretty decent, but he really has made a few duds. I'll probably be seeing Knife in the Water and Fearless Vampire Killers soon.

Saw Battle Royale finally tonight and am swearing off new-ish Japanese movies for good. It was okay, but definitely too long and totally lacking in compelling characters. I had a hard time caring about anyone. it takes more than gratuitous violence to make a movie watchable dammit.

sigh

I think Battle Royale is good pointless fun. It's certainly pretty meaningless, but it's so damn stupid and funny. I think it would probably also be a little better for people who can actually speak the language, cause I don't know about the copy you saw, but what I saw definitely seemed to have some stuff lost in translation in the subtitles.

Rosemary's Baby is excellent. Definitely a classic.

The subtitles were definitely lacking on my copy of BR, but I'm not if it would make that much of a difference. I just didn't think it was nearly as fun as I'd expected. And besides, I don't think that sort of stuff is all that entertaining anymore. 7-10 years ago I would've probably been a lot more into it, but nowadays it just feels pointless.

The four previous Batman moveis were terrible. The only thing Burton got right in the first one is a part of the psyche of the character (the mentally disturbed/in great need of therapy part). Batman is supposed to be a dark, agile, ruthless killer that hides in the shadows and kill bad guys from behind not the look-at-me-I-have-great-abs crap of Burton/Shumacher. I am a fan of the comic books, at least part of it (the early eighties ones and most of the Dark Knight series) and all this movie business was all a slap in the face of Bob Kane and his creation.

Let's just hope Nolan gets the point.

[p]hard word[/b]: kind of meandering australian reservoir dogs/crime thing. i find guy pearce's face fascinating so i was entertained.

the brigade russian tv show touted as russian sopranos. i couldn't sit still through it. "off", if you know what i mean.

I lost a bet and had to watch Love Actually last night. It wasn't what I expected in that it was one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen.

The general idea is that there are five or six relationships developing in separate (but charmingly interconnected!) stories. FOUR of the relationships are based around a man in a position of power sleeping with or possibly sleeping with an underling. The film seems wholly unconscious of this (it's not trying to explore the nature of power or anything) but treats it as charming and proper.

The other relationships have varying degrees of creepiness, but they are all creepy. The creepiest, I think, involves a couple getting married at the beginning of the film. The groom's best friend is very cold toward his new wife and always has been and you're led to think that he is maybe queer for the groom. One day the groom's wife goes over to the friend's house to find wedding videotapes and finds that the video the friend shot is lovingly, slowly, focused on HER the whole wedding, running down her body and zooming in on her face and stuff. At that point I would probably turn and run, but they play some sappy music and she gets all emotional. Then, at the end of the movie, the friend turns up on the married couple's doorstop and holds up a sign that says something like I KNOW I CAN NEVER HAVE YOU, BUT MY WASTED HEART WILL NEVER STOP LOVING YOU. Then he leaves. Romantic music swells.

basically, they should have called it Cosmopolitan: the Movie and included a disclaimer of "Never, EVER, under any circumstances should you attempt anything shown in this movie in your own romantic relationships, at the peril of being jailed and reviled".

wow, that sounds like total awesomeness. how did the person that chose the movie think of it?

I saw Dodgeball last night and it was pretty much exactly what I expected. Obviously not a "great" movie by any means, but still entertaining enough for my evening. Some pretty good bonus stuff on the dvd which is always nice. one item of note: I kinda noticed it when I watched the ben stiller show dvds recently, but stiller really is kind of scarily buff. weird.

possibly watching tonight: spellbound (the documentary, not the hitchcock film)