Romeo Plays ESP...

the_satanic_rabbit

Return of Ganon
Oct 30, 2002
Twin Cities, MN
www.omwresearch.com
*waits for "No Shit!" from the audience*

but anyway, now I do too!

Thought I'd post a little review of the ESP LTD Deluxe Series M-1000.

Well, it is nice. You get what you should get for this amount of money. $700.
24xj frets 25.5 scale, a set of EMG 81's. ORIGINAL Floyd Rose bridge. Body is alder, with a thick black finish, it is also a neck-thru, rosewood fingerboard with abalone arrowhead inlays.

I fooled around with it for about 30 minutes before setting it up. It played well right out of the box, tuned almost perfectly to std E. There was a slight buzz at 1st fret, but the action was very low. I tune to std D (and I was doing this before I ever heard of SX :D ) so I tuned down, reset the bridge, which is definitely easier to work with than a floyd copycat. But then there was severe buzzing on the low (high) e (.10) string. After a quick truss rod adjustment, this has been solved. I let the neck set for a while and now I have a very clean playability all over the neck.
Despite what I heard about EMG 81's for clean, I was quite suprised. I am able to get a very nice clean tone using the middle pickup position. Its very warm, without too much bass, and the highs come through without too much treble. If you flip to the bridge position, cleans sound like crap. If you like a softer clean sound, clean tone sounds smooth and light using the neck pickup. The body feels heavier than I expected, I was expecting a cheap light body. I think the wood contributes to the very decent clean tone you can get from this thing.
Now with gain, of course it sounds good. You can get real heavy without sounding muddy at all. And for leads, again I found the middle position to be pretty awesome. You can still squeal on it but also execute very fast, fluid-sounding runs. Flip to the bridge to get a biting tone, and then to the neck for that softer, bluesy tone. The neck plays pretty fast, maybe too fast :devil:

My only gripe is two minor cosmetic flaws on the binding, which I don't like much anyway (binding that is), other than that, this guitar is excellent, and is much better than anything else I have.

or... you could have just purchased an Ibanez and started playing it right off... without having to adjust anything other than... the operator.

can you guess what I play? I had an ESP a long time ago and it formed a crack in the fingerboard... so I gave it away and got an RG550.

Ten years later, the Ibanez is still in perfect order. o_O

I got an Ib' aswell, but those ESP's are as metal as metal can get (as well as jacksons)

Photos?! Maybe tomorrow.
I don't think you could ever find an Ibanez with stock EMG 81's and an Original Floyd Bridge for the price of this ESP. I do have an Ibanez, but I'll be giving it away to one of my nephews because it is pure crap. I think I bought it in 93 or 94. Anyway, it is worthless, and it doesn't stay in tune at all, so I am mad at Ibanez. BTW, I don't hold grudges. :D
I am still astounded at the sound of this guitar, especially the clean tone (at the middle and neck positions). The sound reminds me of that tone that Marty Friedman has for his clean tone on Scenes and Introduction. And I am not quite sure, but I remember that he used a different guitar for the clean stuff (not his Jackson Kelly). I think it might have even been an ESP? I remember it was a white super-strat, that's all I can remember. Oh well, I am still jumping for joy! :)
I recorded some stuff with Cakewalk, but since I don't have a preamp or anything and just the cheap computer mic, it all sounds like shit.
Whoever composed "The Town of Tristram" for the Diablo game soundtrack is a genius. I recorded my own tristram jam today!
I love guitars!
:D

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Whoever composed "The Town of Tristram" for the Diablo game soundtrack is a genius.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him (her?) a genius, but I admit it's a nice piece.

I want an ESP too. Dammit, I want ANYTHING else than this Epiphone piece of scheisse I've had for all eternity. :yell: Well, ok, I get a decent sound with a real amp, but it sounds pretty thin and weak with just my RP300. Wait...I want a better multi-effect too! :D

the_satanic_rabbit said:
You can get one of these from music123.com for $700, maybe cheaper elsewhere.
Good luck!

Thanks. I'll certainly need it. I'm moving in with my girlfriend soon, so I'll be needing some (and not just a little 'some' :D ) money just for household expenses. On top of that my computer needs updating too. :p I quess it's the nature of the modern capitalist man to never be satisfied with anything.

But mark my words, I will get that ESP sooner or later. :D

Well, if its later than check out the new model for 2003 at espguitars.com, they switched from alder to maple for the body, and it has a flamed maple top. Looks pretty cool. But I think the list price is higher because of it. Anyway, for the money you spend, I don't think it can be beat, unless you are one of those lucky guys who can by a used guitar for 1/4 of its original price and it was only played twice or something like that.

I am going to stop by GC today, hopefully they have a power adapter for my digitech RP5. I could then plug this direct into my pc, since it has CAB emulation on it. It won't be a pod, but it should be ok until I can afford a POD. Anyone else used one before?

congrats one the ESP, (or LTD really :)). Sounds like a great guitar indeed. I have a setup I'm really satistied with for now, Ibanez (with Seymour Duncan pickups) into a Boss GT-6 processor into a Marshall Valvestate VS100R half-stack. I also have a Jackson Dinky I plan on putting EMG's in, in the near future.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
-- digitech RP5. -- Anyone else used one before?

I hope that was the guiding thought. :D

...Anyway, I am the not-so-proud owner of a Digitech RP300. It's okay for a beginner-level multi-effect, but the amp/cab emulations lack that final 'oomph'. It's certainly no POD, but I don't really have much choice. :)

Let's see... I'll try to get some sample clips up for reviewing. :D