Romeo plays DiMarzio pickups!

xystus

New Metal Member
Oct 1, 2002
Holland
www.xystus.nl
I couldn't believe it! He hád to be playing EMG pickups.. but the official site says:

2 ESPs - MII Deluxes - 2 humbuckers (Tone Zone and X-2N)

Does anyone know wheter this has changed or not? Because his live gear has changed since the last tour: he now uses the new Line6 Vetta head instead of the POD-pro.

Thx you guys! :)

Ah, all I know what he uses now I believe is on the site. But...in the guitar chapter video, he is not using DiMarzios. The resolution is not good enough for me to read the brand name, but I believe he is using two EMG's in that guitar on the video. I don't know what series though.

xystus said:
I couldn't believe it! He hád to be playing EMG pickups.. but the official site says:

2 ESPs - MII Deluxes - 2 humbuckers (Tone Zone and X-2N)

Does anyone know wheter this has changed or not? Because his live gear has changed since the last tour: he now uses the new Line6 Vetta head instead of the POD-pro.

Thx you guys! :)

The Tone Zone and the X-2N are still in use!! Those are part of his primary trio of guitars. The Vetta is another story, but suffice to say the guy needed somthing that he knew could take abuse on the road and give him the sound he was looking for. He still has the POD-pro. It's part of his backup gear should something go wrong with the Vetta.

Glenn :)

Yngvai X said:
Since TiO he has had an X2N in the BRIDGE and a Tone Zone in the NECK. On Divine Wings and everything before that, his guitar had two EMG 81s.

So there :D
Wouldn't TZ be TOO fat for the neck position?
And X2N at the bridge of a floyd rosed guitar... would be a little bright for a good match, right?

Well, obviously he corrects that with the presets but... dammit, that is a wierd pair.

Zax666 said:
Wouldn't TZ be TOO fat for the neck position?
And X2N at the bridge of a floyd rosed guitar... would be a little bright for a good match, right?

Well, obviously he corrects that with the presets but... dammit, that is a wierd pair.

the X2N is reccomended for bridge position on Dimarzios site and understandably...its the hottest pickup they have. As far as the TZ not being a good neck PU...eh, Paul Gilbert has it in his neck position too and it sounds fine, actually the X2N is pretty similar to the EMG81 in terms of the tone (very hot and bright). Romeo's tone in and of itself is very bright and treble-y anyway. Im sure the loose-ness of his guitar being down a whole step fattens up the tone too.

His tone has definately improved since he is using DiMarzio's. I am not really fond of EMG81's, although the harmonics are cool. The only thing I hate about the X2N is that it has no clean sound. I really missed that during the Tiburg show. It nearly destroyed Cummunication and the Oracle. I don't see why those hot PU's are needed anyway. The distorted sound is cool, but you don't need high ouput PU's to get a cool metalsound, but that is just me (I have a DiMarzio steve's special in the bridge, and the clean is not that great, but better than with the X2N, and the leadsound is actually almost as "hot" as romeo's

Harrald

On the topic of Romeos tone I am still in seach of amp settings that will resemble Romeos tone and sound. I too use the Line 6 Vetta and come close to some of his sounds but I was wondering if anyone could still give some advice on what settings to use with or without knowledge of the vetta.

ShredRaid said:
On the topic of Romeos tone I am still in seach of amp settings that will resemble Romeos tone and sound. I too use the Line 6 Vetta and come close to some of his sounds but I was wondering if anyone could still give some advice on what settings to use with or without knowledge of the vetta.

When I met him after the Worcester show I asked what amp models he was using for his sounds. He told me that for rhythm hes using the Engl model and for leads he's using the Bogner model. Hope that helps.