Room calibration software?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
In the past I've used and downloaded free room calibration programs but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the program.

Does anyone know of any room calibration programs that are free?

Seems like I found mine on an AV site, mostly dedicated to home studio enthusiasts...

Screw the Behringer, get the Dayton one from Parts Express. Same mic, but they give you a calibration file for each specific mic, instead of the generic one provided by Behringer. And a few test on audio forums have shown that for some reason the Dayton mic, although made in the same factory, is slightly superior to the Behringer. For the same price, might as well go with the Dayton.

They double as great omni mics for other things also.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=390-801

Screw the Behringer, get the Dayton one from Parts Express. Same mic, but they give you a calibration file for each specific mic, instead of the generic one provided by Behringer. And a few test on audio forums have shown that for some reason the Dayton mic, although made in the same factory, is slightly superior to the Behringer. For the same price, might as well go with the Dayton.

Looks like the dayton would be a bitch to get hold of in Europe. Might give the behringer a go tho!

Good info!

One more question that I haven't seen the answer to... Where/how do point mic? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Good info!

One more question that I haven't seen the answer to... Where/how do point mic? ¯(°_o)/¯

If you are using a mic like the Dayton or Behringer, you normally would point the front towards your screens, the same position as your head. But since they are omni you can actually point it straight up and not see a significant difference.

But just point it the same direction your head faces, and you'll be good to go.

Haha, I got the Behringer mic off a friend, so I'll be using it.

And Room EQ Wizard was exactly what I was looking for THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grab an SPL meter with an output on it also, or else Room EQ wizard gives pretty crap results on the low end.

I purchased a Behringer ECM-8000 the other day at my local, cheap as peanuts. Spent about half an hour on Room EQ wizard. The documentation's pretty complicated, I'm going to spend more time on it but if someone has a step by step for dumbasses that would be great.

Thanks for the link Johnny, very helpful. (Ikea table not so helpful lol)

EDIT: I take it back, those Ikea racks aren't half bad!