Room mics??!!!!

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
Does everybody use room mics here??
I never really had enough mics to have anything but overheads but today i was just experimenting with shit and i discovered a whole side of drums THEY COULD BREATH hahaha my kick i didnt really need to sound replace cause a lot of slap came through (i record in a basement by the way :Spin:) and i was actuall please with the result

exactly. i always record at least one room mic, preferably more if we have the chance. it can be anything from sm57 to ribbon mics....sometimes i'll record a stereo set for the general room sound, another mic in a seemingly weird spot to get some cool snare ambience, whatever works.

it's always nice to have options. even if you think the room sounds not-so-good it might come in handy during mixing time. the few times i tracked in a great room i didn't even use artificial reverb, maybe just slightly on the toms, but most of my drum ambience came from the room mics only.
depends largely on the mix, the room sound, the style....

It depends on the room...

BUT... every solution proposed here are interesting. Large diaphragm condensers are good but can be very agressive in the mid high and a bit boomy to my tastes (but I did not try every single model). It always depend on the way you position them, too.
I ususaly use Neumann 184, because I love their tone.
A good friend of mine uses PZM microphones with very interesting results. His drum booth is quiet small, so he just put the PZM on the wall on each side of the drumset, 1 meter over the ground.

http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/pzm.htm

Anyway, every good static can work. Try to find YOUR mike, the one you are easy at working with.

A drum sound is never complete without a pair of ribbons in blumlein in my book. They have NEVER failed to sound incredible when squashed. They just take it well and push out kick/snare/toms more than cymbal junk when squashed. Used condensers a few times and they always fail to do the same.

Further into recording drums I go, the more like using spot cymbal mikes for the clarity and room mics for the glue.

Yea i might be recording some bands soon i was just gonna slap up some 57s for overheads and my condensers for room mics
I want 2 room mics to keep the panning evenly

use the condensers for OH...

I realy like the sound of a spot AB for drum-room.
If you have a big room its great and you wont need a reverb anymore.

Point each mic at the same point of the drumkit (I mostly use the snare) and then use the same distance (pan hard L/R and use the same level on both sides)

It realy starts to become epic with 3-5 meters.

Last recording I did was so slutty...
Royer 121s on close room, coles 4038 on far room, and akg 414's on hallway mic...spanked into tape.
yum. I could listen to that all day.