Room mics??!!!!

I'm not always doing it.....sometimes yes, sometimes no, usually I know exactly what I'm going for before I place the mics, that's when I'm making that decision.
What I've also done a couple of times is "re-room" the drums...playing them back through the speakers in the live room and recording the room sound.
The advantage of that is that you can have a roomsound with all the EQ, comps, samples etc already in place, that way you get away with more room in the mix without making the drums sound too raw.

I don't think you need the highest quality mics for the room (at least not in metal), sometimes I'm just using the Behringer ecm8000...actually digging that one for rooms

I started using them a lot on drums when i had a 57 in front of a guitar cab and armed the track, thinking it was a drum mic, not knowing it was the guitar cab on the other side of the room. I tend to process these tracks quite heavily, because alone it usually sounds too raw and it they take well to heavy processing.

I'm not always doing it.....sometimes yes, sometimes no, usually I know exactly what I'm going for before I place the mics, that's when I'm making that decision.
What I've also done a couple of times is "re-room" the drums...playing them back through the speakers in the live room and recording the room sound.
The advantage of that is that you can have a roomsound with all the EQ, comps, samples etc already in place, that way you get away with more room in the mix without making the drums sound too raw.

I don't think you need the highest quality mics for the room (at least not in metal), sometimes I'm just using the Behringer ecm8000...actually digging that one for rooms

I've never had much luck with the whole re-rooming thing.. TBH the room i did it in was fairly bland... so thats probably why!

I always use room mics and room samples. If I don't have room mics tracks and I need them, I 're-room' the drums. This works with keys too!
:Smokedev: