Using 57s as Room Mics

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
I recorded drums in a crap room the other day and I tried something new -- I got crazy and tried using 2 SM57s as room mics. I had them on small stands in the corners on the opposite side of the room from the drums. I was shocked at how good the 57s sounded. This room was pretty bad with a low ceiling and fully carpeted floor. But somehow the 57s really picked up the drums pretty well. It blended really well with the triggers. Really happy about it. Anyone try this before?

FWIW I also used an Audix D6 on the ride for a change. Really cool trying new shit.

Never heard this before,it's always cool to try new things.SM57 is an industry standard,absolutely amazing..

I love having ribbons or LDCs around for room mics but I'll be damned if I haven't heard great results with a pair of 57's pointed at the far walls/corners. You won't get as much depth but you still get the sense of space and glue you want out of the tracks. WAY better than nothing or just a mono LDC/Ribbon IMO.

Depends on the production/room, but dynamics and ribbons work better for me on room for the most part as the reduced top end (compared to condensers at least) keeps the trashiness of the cymbals under control.

I like using two room mic positions, one at 12' and another one in an adjacent room (usually the studio bathroom). The studio bathroom is pretty far away, and the 12' room mic "fills in the gap" in time between the close mics and the room mic in the adjacent room.

I've had good results with sm58 as room mic. I think I liked them on rooms because im rolling most of the top of my room mics anyways so the 58 sounds more pre eq'd right out of the box. I'd prefer a ribbon or condenser eq'd, but honestly no rules for room mics for me.