Rooms of Anguish review in Oor magazine

Cyclopssss

May 6, 2003
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Visit site
Alright here we go, hope this works. Found that review I was talking about and will attempt an ''as accurate as possible" translation. Please allow for a couple of glitches as the Dutch language has some words that don't translate easily to English. For example, the very first (!) words of this review...ahem! Oor, by the way is, together with Aardschok, which is basically a metal mag, the most important music mag in the Netherlands...so you'll know when they ask you guys for an interview or backstage-pass.. :p here we go:

Power Of Omens - Rooms Of Anguish (metalages import)
"The small/precious thing (tr.from the word 'Kleinood' very hard to translate, C) lies in the cd player. Silence. Then the wind whistles through the speakers. There is a knock on the door, that opens. A female voice says: 'Don't be affraid, I am here for you'. Pandemonium of complexe guitar- bass and drum/percussion patterns, a darkcoloured keyboard-flow, emotional vocals, soon climbing to the highest regions of the tone-scale. Nothing after the etherical intro 'Welcome to my world' has anything to do with music you can easily hum along to while washing the dishes or ironing your clothes. Signed: Power of Omens, the progressive-metalband from San Diago, that delivered the Genious debut- album 'Eyes of the Oracle' from 1998. On their second work of art Rooms of Anguish singer Chris Salinas describes in associative lyrics his struggle with will-power, self-confidence, religion and his secular environment. (whew! C o_O ) A fitting complexe foundation for an album that contains more guitar-chords, breaks, nuances, drum-salto's, finger-bruising bass-licks, and feats of arranging-skills than ten prog-metal cd's bunched together. The sometimes surpassing abstract metal of David Gallegas (guitar-keyboard), Alex Arrellano (drums, percussion), Singer Salinas en new bassist Chris Herring surprises in the 20 minute long adventure 'The End' with almost Mossorgsky-like entr' acte. Gallegos conjoures up Flamenco-like pearls from his accoustic guitar, while Arrelano seems to have six arms and four legs. No, Rooms of Anguish can't be taken in in just a couple of listen-weeks. Even in the (for Power of Omens) less barroque As Winter Falls there are hidden countless harmonies and detailed craftsmanship. Stylish cover-art from Travis Smith (Nevermore, Zero Hour) crowns this 'thinking man's metal Master-Piece, that from now on has it's place in the honour-gallery next to the work of Zero Hour, Fates Warning, Psychotic Waltz and the first two discs from that small orchestra from New York of which the name has slipped my mind temporarily. Oliver Kerkdijk."

Whew. There you have it. This is one album I desperately need to pick up! :OMG: