Rude Fans Slaming DISABLED FANS

It's just a shame employers never look past "autism" and see all that

Don't mention it to them. How would it affect your day to day work?

I graduated uni much later than my peers - I took a few years off to play in a band, etc.

When I finally got my degree and started looking for work I had the age thing working against me as I was up against youngsters straight out of uni.

So I deleted any references to my date of birth on my resume and only told them when I was specifically asked how old I was.

Of course to back it up I had to then propose to them all the advantages that comes with this and why they should hire me over the next guy.

I suggest you not mention your autism at any job interview.

One day down the track if it ever does affect your work and they ask, then you say, "Oh yeah that is due to my autism".

By then they will not even consider replacing you after they have grown used to having you work with them.

s

I've got organisational dyslexia which means I am the opposite of that :p I've got a terrible short term memory, I'm incapable of planning things, and I've got no concept of time!

I AM good at my science, art, and technical stuff though. There's a few people on my course who are similar, except I'm considered the geek of the group cause I'm good with computers, circuit boards, chemicals, compounds, pigmant matching etc. And I'm incredibly nit picky about detail. But that might just be me.

I've got organisational dyslexia which means I am the opposite of that :p I've got a terrible short term memory, I'm incapable of planning things, and I've got no concept of time!

I AM good at my science, art, and technical stuff though. There's a few people on my course who are similar, except I'm considered the geek of the group cause I'm good with computers, circuit boards, chemicals, compounds, pigmant matching etc. And I'm incredibly nit picky about detail. But that might just be me.

But what a team we'd make :p

We'd never be on time (I have organisational difficulties too, unless it's something repetitive, monotonous and systematic, in which case it soothes my very soul - like alphabetising), but think of the databases we could create!

Stephen - no offence, but I don't call my Autism a disability for fun. It has a prfound effect on all areas of my life and, so far, has prevented me from working, due to interaction problems and needing flexibility within the workplace. I managed at Oxfam because it was voluntary (less comeback if I couldn't go in because I was having a bad day) and flexible in that I could switch between front and back of house when I wanted to. I'm currently more work-ready than I've ever been, but still can't work fulltime and would need support in the workplace, meaning I have to tell employers about it whether I want to or not.

Stephen - no offence

None taken, I wasn't sure of the extent to which you were affected.

I know what it is like to be so eager to work and nobody wanting to give you a chance to prove yourself. Very frustrating.

I have spent many years unemployed for various reasons, I also did voluntary work for a while and when I got work I was working at places where my skills weren't utilised properly. I've had all sorts of jobs, flippin burgers, you name it, some I didn't like but I did gain something from all of them.

Thankfully now I am in a job I like but it wasn't easy getting to where I am. I am working a job I hadn't considered doing at first, it was just fate putting all the pieces together that gave me the experience and skills required.

I wish you the best, keep trying and don't overlook other types of jobs if you get a chance, you gotta try out what you can and it can open doors to all sorts of work.

s

Well as far as my savantism goes the easiest example I can think of on here, is if you go onto the first page of the Random BS thread, the post I did with all the links to photos of spiders in it? Did it from memory is roughly five minutes...including all the links ;) (I also typed my sig straight out from memory in about a minute when I got bored of the previous one)

I seem to be fairly unusual in that my savant abilities are all to do with words - latin names, scientific terms/processes, enclyopaedic knowledge of LOTR, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, entomology/oceanography/meteorology (despite having never officially studied any of the three), I pick up new languages scarily fast (and retain them almost indefinitely) and I can memorise the contents of bookshelves without even trying. I used to work in Oxfam, we had roughly 2-3000 books onsite at any one time, and unless I'd just walked through the door after being away, I could tell you exactly what we had, what we didn't have, and what we were likely to get in soon :lol:

It's just a shame employers never look past "autism" and see all that :(

...savant-like abilities? This could be quite useful if day-trading, by all means look into that. If nothing else - get a business degree, then start soliciting the big-wigs in London and odds are, you will be on someone's trading desk making more than you'd ever dream of.

As for accommodations - finance is more worried about the bottom line. If you're helping them make money, they will recognize this and provided the request is reasonable, it will be granted. Some places are more prudish than others; my father used to consult for RBS Group and even in a large organization, the culture runs the gambit from prudish to flexible; it's just a matter of finding a niche to an extent.

The beautiful thing about finance is that most of the people are somewhat savant-like; the technical end is probably one of the nerdiest places anywhere in the business world. Thus, there is a very good chance you will fit in there.

I seem to be fairly unusual in that my savant abilities are all to do with words - latin names, scientific terms/processes, enclyopaedic knowledge of LOTR, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, entomology/oceanography/meteorology (despite having never officially studied any of the three), I pick up new languages scarily fast (and retain them almost indefinitely)

It sounds like you would be great as a translator, especially if you can remember the translations to scientific and legal words.

You may also be able to work on a contract basis or ad hoc?

I really recommend you do study something, even if part time.

If you blitz the exams there will be employers lining up to hire you provided you study something sought after.

Look for things you will enjoy doing, unfortunately studying fantasy novels to the nth degree will only get you so far - you could of course start writing them yourself?

s