Rumoured King Diamond tour

Perhaps you're correct. However, I saw him in Philly (with Kreator) on the Puppetmaster tour.

LOL - The KD / Kreator tour never happened.
For Puppet Master, first leg was with Entombed and Single Bullet Theory, and the second leg was with Nile (cant recall who else)....

Give Me Your Soul was ok enough. It just sounded like crap compared to Puppet Master which is pretty much flawless.

Two things. 1. Yeah there are people who haven't seen him since then, BUT 2100 worth of a draw? I highly doubt it.

2. You're giving those bands except for maybe Ghost too much credit. I love In Solitude and Portrait, but it's not like they're all that popular in the US.

It's simple cause and effect........

As certain sub genres get popular people seek out the originators.

I have no idea if King would sell out 2100. What's that equivalent here in Chicago? HOB? The Vic??? Given a solid touring partner, I think it is possible.

King has appeal across many sub genres.....

I am not even factoring in his recent Metallica related events and the re-recording of "Evil" for Guitar Hero. No, it won't generate DragonForce results, but I am sure, but it's still exposure.

I agree with Zod, no way he can get Best Buy on his own unless it's an exclusive NYC show. Since he (to my knowledge) still lives in the US, doing off shows like this isn't a huge problem and he probably gets large fees to do them. On top of that, I don't think someone with such serious chronic back issues like that should even be touring at all.

What are you considering a really good turn out? Near me, they played St. Vitus, which holds 350 (not sure if it sold out... I did not go).

If King can sell out the Best Buy, good for him. I hope he does. However, this is a venue that very few top Metal acts can sell out consistently. If the thought is he will benefit from the splash Ghost made, it should be noted that when Ghost came to NY in 2013 they played a venue that holds 550.

for a band not drawing half of that and breaking up because lack of interest from fans to now drawing over 300 a night is pretty good in my book.

Ha, yeah, I know what you mean..

that was such a highly anticipated tour:
King D / Kreator / Cellador / Leaves Eyes
Admittedly, I don't recall that. I'll have to ask Invisible Guest. He flew in to see King in Philly, and I would have sworn Kreator opened. But maybe we saw Kreator another night on that trip. My memory is such shit.

Admittedly, I don't recall that. I'll have to ask Invisible Guest. He flew in to see King in Philly, and I would have sworn Kreator opened. But maybe we saw Kreator another night on that trip. My memory is such shit.

The King Diamond and Kreator tour never came about .. King's back issues fired up and the tour was cancelled.

We saw KD, Entombed, and Single Bullet Theory.

The other show we saw was Dimmu/Nevermore/Children Of Bodom/Hypocrisy.

I'm also doubting KD can sell out a 2,100 seat venue, but there might be a bit more demand than usual with the long layoff. KD's also had some pretty good exposure the past few years with Guitar Hero, and a track with Volbeat, but he would probably need another stout band or two to sell that place out. It's also a Tuesday night which will keep some people at home for sure.

Britt

We saw KD, Entombed, and Single Bullet Theory.
Ahhhh.. Entombed.

The other show we saw was Dimmu/Nevermore/Children Of Bodom/Hypocrisy.
If memory serves, Dimmu crushed it that night.

I'm also doubting KD can sell out a 2,100 seat venue, but there might be a bit more demand than usual with the long layoff. KD's also had some pretty good exposure the past few years with Guitar Hero, and a track with Volbeat, but he would probably need another stout band or two to sell that place out. It's also a Tuesday night which will keep some people at home for sure.
Tuesdays are rough. I'm wondering if they'll announce the other bands Friday when the tickets go on sale.

I feel like discovering people's favorite KD albums are somehow a window into their soul.

Personally, I love Graveyard and Puppet Master best.. but I enjoy them all!

Now I feel bad for going the easy route and choosing "Them". But The Spider's Lullabye is quickly gaining. They're all good though.

I am actually shocked that any King Diamond disc after "The Eye" gets any love. As I recall, anything after "Them" took a steady decline in quality, each successive disc worse than the last, until I just bought the disc, listened to it once, and filed it away. Granted, it has been a long time since I listened to anything other than Fatal Portrait, Abigail & Them, and metal became so blasé to me for a couple of years until I rebounded.

Do I need to revisit these discs or are we just grasping at straws? Is there anything in the discography comparable to the classics?

^^^you need to revisit then. They are all good, but post Eye I would recommend Voodoo, Abigail 2, and Give Me Your Soul Please as highlights. Don't compare Abigail 2 to the first one though when listening...take it as a separate album because although very good it doesn't come close to Abigail. Abigail is in my top 10 of all time metal albums so I don't think much compares to it anyway :)
Give Me Your Soul Please I thought was an especially good album in the catalog, great production, very warm mix and lots of subtlety...hence those who stick to the blacker and coarser side of metal found it lacking...depends on how you like your King...hahaha

^^^you need to revisit then. They are all good, but post Eye I would recommend Voodoo, Abigail 2, and Give Me Your Soul Please as highlights. Don't compare Abigail 2 to the first one though when listening...take it as a separate album because although very good it doesn't come close to Abigail. Abigail is in my top 10 of all time metal albums so I don't think much compares to it anyway :)
Give Me Your Soul Please I thought was an especially good album in the catalog, great production, very warm mix and lots of subtlety...hence those who stick to the blacker and coarser side of metal found it lacking...depends on how you like your King...hahaha

Naw.... I agree with Voodoo, but The Spider's Lullaby and The Puppet Master are very strong. TPM is probably my favorite of the past 20 years. Abigail II and Give me your soul please are the weakest - especially A2....