Running a hardware EQ capturing the source

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
I'm starting to try and get more into working outside of my computer and trying to get things right at the source. Running tons of VST's is just so uninspiring.

Anyways, does anyone here run hardware eq's to help shape for instance micing a guitar amp or vocalist? I'm thinking about picking up a decent EQ to run in the effects loop of my 5150 to shape the tone more how I would want it in the mix instead of relying on my DAW for all the work. Things like getting rid of muddy frequencies that I know are a common problem in the low and mid range. I feel like cleaning it up at the source will change the dynamics and sonic characteristics picked up by the microphone. Things like frequencies masking other frequencies. I understand the ill effects such as noise floor etc, but I'm not crazy for the super clean digital sound either.

Basically, I'm tired of doing all of my mixing etc in my computer. Something about the psychological perception of it is strange as well. I notice I perceive sound different depending on what I'm physically doing or seeing.

I actually have a 31-band EQ in my recording rack that isn't hooked up. I've been meaning to play around with it. I just worry that I'd EQ the source thinking it's sounding better, then be stuck with something that I may not like a day later.

You should definitely play with it. I always hear people say that you can EQ out what you don't like later and it will be the same, but that doesn't really make sense to me. For instance if you recorded guitars with the bass cranked and eq'd the bass out later vs lowering the bass on the amp and then recorded it, I feel like the characteristics would be completely different. I also hear that you should just use the amps eq, but why not have more than 3 pre selected bands for better precision? I'm not saying one is better than another, more of a socrates approach in the realm of Why and What if. I'm going to have to experiment with this a bit. I was just wondering if anyone had any input on it. And no, I'm not referring to the Manley's or 8200's just a basic eq with a clean circuitry. Maybe something that even colors it a tad.

I use my R16 to add some eq to drums and bass on the way in these days. Nothing extreme though, just a little nudge here and there in places that I'm certain are benefiting the sound.

sometimes use the H/W 550's in the studio on the way in on drums, but guitar i tweak and move the mic.

You should definitely play with it. I always hear people say that you can EQ out what you don't like later and it will be the same, but that doesn't really make sense to me. For instance if you recorded guitars with the bass cranked and eq'd the bass out later vs lowering the bass on the amp and then recorded it, I feel like the characteristics would be completely different.

..and you would be correct. Putting an EQ in front of the amp or in the effects loop is going to change how the amp and the speakers respond, which is not something that can be replicated after the fact.

I hate tracking drums without EQs. Guitar not so much but I will often do a little on vocals. Eq'ing is no substitute for getting your tones and placement right in the first place but it sure is nice to get things closer to finished out of the gate.