Rush spans generations

bengal21

New Metal Member
Sep 13, 2008
Saskatoon, Canada
My son plays lead guitar and at 16 has become quite fond of rush's music along with some of the other old 80.s classics

Their band has done a great job learning a few of the oldies since I asked them to play at my wedding.
I really love hearing them play this stuff. Think they find me a little annoying when I go down in the basement and hang out with them when they play tunes I listened to at their age.

Rush

Billy Idol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats great man!! Hahaha. Do they just play that music because you asked them or are they really into it? What is your sons favorite band?

Thats great man!! Hahaha. Do they just play that music because you asked them or are they really into it? What is your sons favorite band?

The billy idol stuff they are learning cause I asked them to play at my wedding Aug 15. They like it though and it freaks me out everytime they learn one of these cause it takes them very little time to learn it and I get a surprise once a week during their rehearsal
Rush was probably my favorite band growing up and my son started guitar at 13 and was listening to green day, billy talent, system of a down , Some Nirvana ,etc. Last year I was on my laptop and told him to come listen to this band. I was listening to la villa strangiato and as soon as he heard it he thought it was brilliant. I am quite happy that the other 2 guys in his band have sort of taken a liking as well. I mean , this is great stuff.
Funny though that just around that time he was listening to Opeth and asked me to have a listen, Well I can now say he is also a huge Opeth fan and I listen to them all the time now in my car. Their talent and style /approach remind me of Rush and how I felt about them back in the day.

Thats great, to me the relevance of Rush on current heavy music is outstanding. First listen to Fly by Night and Caress of Steel which came relatively close together... changed and further developed my musical taste by a significant measure. Going by their talent there would be something wrong with the boys heads if they were not interested in Rush. They sound impressive... considering at that age I was playing crap like Smoke on the Water and Born to be Wild, fun songs but lets face it they were elementary compared to YYZ. I always wanted to play White Wedding for a bar gig song but we never got around to it, good dance tune.

Damn for being such a young band they do a very good rendition of 'YYZ' and that is one of the most technical Rush songs, my respects.

B21 great that you passed to your son the torch and that he and his mates dig the old stuff.

Damn for being such a young band they do a very good rendition of 'YYZ' and that is one of the most technical Rush songs, my respects.

B21 great that you passed to your son the torch and that he and his mates dig the old stuff.

I have a feeling /hope there could be more to come.
I am 47 this month and its very cool to hear them playing this stuff downstairs. Its like reliving my youth through my kids.
An old friend is coming out to my wedding from the coast and we havent seen each other for about 20 years and we used to live and breathe Rush. He is going to freak when they come out and play some rush tunes. Its gonna be great

My son is also a big fan of Rush, and covers it with his friends. I can't tell you how fun it is to talk Prog and metal with my 20 yr old son.