Rusty Notes - metalcore Kemper pack

RustyNotes

Jun 24, 2012
Hey guys. You might not be interested, but I got A LOT of emails on youtube from people wanting me to do some metalcore tones for the Kemper. I don't know why anybody wants a "metalcore tone" (ala Podfarm) if you have a Kemper. But anyway, I made one :) There might be someone on this forum who has asked me for this, so here it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMaPmDpaAD8

Rustynotes, thanks for sharing, but I think this goes in the sale section.
Also a question about your profiles and info.
It is kinda marketed as profiles you've made from real amps and that's what customers believe, but I think you've written earlier that your packs are just done by traditional eq matching with DAW, not by profiling the actual amps and cabs. Lots of amps listed here and in a previous pack and by your studio info videos you don't have those amps. Not trying to be lame here but if that's the case then I think it's fair to let your customers know the real info what the profiles originates from and how they were made. Call it something like "eq matched profile pack" with additional info how they were made and gear used. Many others that sell profiles list all the gear used during profiling with photos and details and customers apprechiate that.
Cheers.

Rustynotes, thanks for sharing, but I think this goes in the sale section.
Also a question about your profiles and info.
It is kinda marketed as profiles you've made from real amps and that's what customers believe, but I think you've written earlier that your packs are just done by traditional eq matching with DAW, not by profiling the actual amps and cabs. Lots of amps listed here and in a previous pack and by your studio info videos you don't have those amps. Not trying to be lame here but if that's the case then I think it's fair to let your customers know the real info what the profiles originates from and how they were made. Call it something like "eq matched profile pack" with additional info how they were made and gear used. Many others that sell profiles list all the gear used during profiling with photos and details and customers apprechiate that.
Cheers.

First of, sorry.. I totally missed the sell section :) My bad, honest mistake. Maybe the mod can move this thread?

Anyway.. I see what you mean bro. But, I never say/said that my profiles are made out of real amps, they are based on real amps. I see what you mean, that you think I should point out that these profiles aren't actually "profiled". But I actually don't think I have to. It's a Kemper pack with profiles, and that's just what it is. Presets, profiles. No matter how I made them, they are just profiles, and that's why I call it a profile pack.

Plus, I think that most people understand that this isn't "real amps", just because they sound more like the podfarm sound, which I was aiming for. With this pack, I never intended to get a "real sound", just the classic metalcore sound you hear from most of Joey Sturgis studio. And does it really matter how the profiles are made? I mean, if they sound good.. they sound good. Right? :)

As I said, I know what you mean and I could agree.. but I actually think that I don't have to specify how I made the profiles. People can hear what they sound like, and they get what they pay for. As simple as that :)

All the best!

First of, sorry.. I totally missed the sell section :) My bad, honest mistake. Maybe the mod can move this thread?

Anyway.. I see what you mean bro. But, I never say/said that my profiles are made out of real amps, they are based on real amps. I see what you mean, that you think I should point out that these profiles aren't actually "profiled". But I actually don't think I have to. It's a Kemper pack with profiles, and that's just what it is. Presets, profiles. No matter how I made them, they are just profiles, and that's why I call it a profile pack.

Plus, I think that most people understand that this isn't "real amps", just because they sound more like the podfarm sound, which I was aiming for. With this pack, I never intended to get a "real sound", just the classic metalcore sound you hear from most of Joey Sturgis studio. And does it really matter how the profiles are made? I mean, if they sound good.. they sound good. Right? :)

As I said, I know what you mean and I could agree.. but I actually think that I don't have to specify how I made the profiles. People can hear what they sound like, and they get what they pay for. As simple as that :)

All the best!

No, when a studio is selling kemper profiles customers definitely believe you did use real amps, cabs and mics etc. That's it, it's a trust and you violate that. It's not patches from some modeler gear where everyone can dial in the exact same sound in patches, the kemper is completely different.
I don't share your business ethics here and I'm very sure the vast majority agree with me. I haven't seen anyone being secret about what's in their profiles they sell. If someone is secret then the motives are questioned, like in this case.
It's not good brand building when you deliberately choose to not reveal to customers what is used in the profiles. You know very well that if you say that you didn't use real amps, mics and cabs, it will not be positive marketing for your business compared to letting them believe otherwise. Revealing nothing is not good because it's dishonest to customers, it's false marketing and you do it likely because of money.

Since you don't have the amps you market in your profile packs then potential customers want to know what gear you used for amps and cabs in the packs. They want to know if you used software amp models, or profiles made from other users, imported IR's with cab maker, Ozone from dry guitar tracks etc?
Again, others who sell profile packs proudly display the gear used, mics, amps, preamps, pedals etc, and have no problems explaining things to customers. I'd recommend you to be 100% honest about your profile packs and also change your youtube video profile description. That's a win win situation for both customers and your business.
Cheers.

I Just want to know what was used to make this pack. Just out of curiosity really...

hmm the guitars sound kind of honky, i usually do not like that characteristic but i have to say tha tit fits perfectly into the mix!
the AC30? didn't expect it to sound so EVIL! :D

man i'm so tempted to try a kemper but can't justify buying it.

No, when a studio is selling kemper profiles customers definitely believe you did use real amps, cabs and mics etc. That's it, it's a trust and you violate that. It's not patches from some modeler gear where everyone can dial in the exact same sound in patches, the kemper is completely different.
I don't share your business ethics here and I'm very sure the vast majority agree with me. I haven't seen anyone being secret about what's in their profiles they sell. If someone is secret then the motives are questioned, like in this case.
It's not good brand building when you deliberately choose to not reveal to customers what is used in the profiles. You know very well that if you say that you didn't use real amps, mics and cabs, it will not be positive marketing for your business compared to letting them believe otherwise. Revealing nothing is not good because it's dishonest to customers, it's false marketing and you do it likely because of money.

Since you don't have the amps you market in your profile packs then potential customers want to know what gear you used for amps and cabs in the packs. They want to know if you used software amp models, or profiles made from other users, imported IR's with cab maker, Ozone from dry guitar tracks etc?
Again, others who sell profile packs proudly display the gear used, mics, amps, preamps, pedals etc, and have no problems explaining things to customers. I'd recommend you to be 100% honest about your profile packs and also change your youtube video profile description. That's a win win situation for both customers and your business.
Cheers.

Everybody speaks for them self. I don't make a living out of my Kemper packs. I see what you mean, but if I tell everybody how I made them, there's no point selling them. I don't force ANYBODY to buy the pack. I'm just presenting it like that "Here are some profiles if you want a metalcore sound", take it or leave it. Those who bought them (29 at the moment) have been very satisfied with the pack, without knowing how I did them. You know why? They don't care, they sound good to them. And that's all there is to it. If you don't like the way I'm handling my business, then don't buy it :) I don't mind. I made this for myself.. well that's not completely true. The pack was intended to be released with me and a pretty famous producer. But he didn't wanna pay for them, and wanted his name on them so I said no. I spend quit some time making this profiles. I made them within my daw and inside the kemper. Made a scratch sound in the kemper, recorded some parts in my daw, tweaked the sounds in my daw, changed some things, made a cab impulse out of the result I tweaked in my daw, took it back to the kemper, made some more tweaking (adding EQ, compressor and what not inside the kemper) then saved the bitches.

I know what the Kemper is, and I know what you're "supposed to do", but I don't really care. As I said, "here are some metalcore profiles, if you want them, go buy them". And those who have done so are satisfied. That's all that matters. You can't satisfy all people out there. There's always gonna be haters :) But that don't bother me.

But I thank you for your time trying to point me in the right direction, but no offence.. but I'm good :)

PS. There are tones of weird profiles out there that are just bunch of effects. I don't get made at the creater for not knowing how he did them. That's kinda weird. Just because you made profiles for your Kemper, doesn't mean you MUST profile a amp. There are no rules here.

hmm the guitars sound kind of honky, i usually do not like that characteristic but i have to say tha tit fits perfectly into the mix!
the AC30? didn't expect it to sound so EVIL! :D

man i'm so tempted to try a kemper but can't justify buying it.

That's the point. I was going for extreme. I wasn't aiming for a raw classic amp sound. But more the "classic podfarm / metalcore sound".

They want to know if you used [...] profiles made from other users

this could be potentially problematic, since the Rig Exchange clearly states:

"By uploading a public rig, you grant Kemper Amps the right to offer this profile to all members of the Kemper Profiler community. You also grant others the right to use your uploaded profiles without restrictions. Others can pass your profiles on but cannot sell them in any way."

Besides, I find the process you described so far rather interesting and I'm sure potential buyers like this kind of information.
If you're worried about giving a way a 'secret': Tonematching techniques & custom IR creation have been around for so long, it hardly qualifies as such.
The time invested in creating profiles on this basis as well as your vision and esthetics should be the center of your product, not a little DAW trickery.

"By uploading a public rig, you grant Kemper Amps the right to offer this profile to all members of the Kemper Profiler community. You also grant others the right to use your uploaded profiles without restrictions. Others can pass your profiles on but cannot sell them in any way."

Besides, I find the process you described so far rather interesting and I'm sure potential buyers like this kind of information.
If you're worried about giving a way a 'secret': Tonematching techniques & custom IR creation have been around for so long, it hardly qualifies as such.
The time invested in creating profiles on this basis as well as your vision and esthetics should be the center of your product, not a little DAW trickery.

Oh, I did not know that haha

But then again, I haven't been taking any profile, and sold them as my own. But i guess that rule applies even though you just used the "amplifier" for example.

A kemper to get some tone ala podfarm? :zombie:

You would be surprised. The thing is though, that I have some clients who wants that guitar sound, even though I have some other killer profiles that sounds more "real".

It all started with that producer who wanted a Kemper pack with his name on it. I started making the profiles, but ones I found out that he wanted to put his name on it, and not give me any credit or money for it.. i kept it to my self.

But since it's (apparently) against some roles to sell it unless you have profiled the amp yourself, I'm going to take it down and keep it to myself.

The problem isn't with selling profiles taken from a modeller or a VST - it's that, the way the pack is described on your site, everyone will assume you used the real amps. If you changed it to say "These profiles were made using the Podfarm models of the following amps:", for instance, there wouldn't be an issue. If you can get a good tone from it, then the source shouldn't be an issue for anyone but the tube snobs who wouldn't be using a Kemper in the first place.

It's somewhat like how a box of Cheese Nips says "made with real cheddar cheese". If I found out that they were using the powder from Kraft Dinner, I'd be upset, but if they didn't call it real cheese to begin with I probably wouldn't care.

Edit: I just saw this part:

I made them within my daw and inside the kemper. Made a scratch sound in the kemper, recorded some parts in my daw, tweaked the sounds in my daw, changed some things, made a cab impulse out of the result I tweaked in my daw, took it back to the kemper, made some more tweaking (adding EQ, compressor and what not inside the kemper) then saved the bitches.

When you say "a scratch sound in the Kemper", doesn't that mean you're starting with somebody else's profile? If so, it doesn't matter how much you tweak it in the DAW - you're still selling a profile that you didnt make, which is expressly against Kemper's terms of service. If you wanted, you could sell the IR you made and tell people "load it with this profile from the Rig Exchange for a sweet metalcore tone", but that's about it.

Yes I don't think it's legal to sell profiles this way regarding the rules and laws.
In my previous post I actually didn't think he would be so unethical that he'd use other users profiles, tweak and sell them.
Big fail, some simply can't feel what's right and wrong. And he doesn't want customers to sell "his" profiles. :popcorn:
Making IR's in DAW and using other "trix" is not any secret at all and not a reason to not share the info about the profiles to customers.
I also wonder why a producer would want to use his/her name on a profile pack with amps profiled by other users? That would be a very bad and counter productive way of marketing yourself.