Sampled Cymbals

NathanSoulfracture

myspace.com/soulfracture
Aug 26, 2004
www.soulfracture.co.uk
For my recordings i use sampled drums, all the samples are good its just when blasting or anything fast using a ride cymbal or doing a few crash cymbal hits after each other the sample gets annoying cos its always at the same volume level, i was wondering if theres anyway i can vary the volume of the samples, say like a plug-in or anything so it sounds a bit more human and realistic?

Fast hats and cymbals are always a problem.

The drum program I use (www.drums.sk) allows you to import as many samples as you like for each instrument and then randomizes the hits. This mixed with a groove quantize (or painstakingly adding hits slightly off the beat) makes things pretty realistic.

If you just want to change the velocity, then most decent programs will allow you to draw a random line with the pencil tool across the velocity edit. If you're just using one sample it won't help that much though. Best bet is for multiple samples.

That's my take on it anyway, strictly as a dabbling amateur.

Lee_B said:
Fast hats and cymbals are always a problem.

The drum program I use (www.drums.sk) allows you to import as many samples as you like for each instrument and then randomizes the hits. This mixed with a groove quantize (or painstakingly adding hits slightly off the beat) makes things pretty realistic.

If you just want to change the velocity, then most decent programs will allow you to draw a random line with the pencil tool across the velocity edit. If you're just using one sample it won't help that much though. Best bet is for multiple samples.

That's my take on it anyway, strictly as a dabbling amateur.
Drumkit From Hell Superior randomly cycles samples, but the Hi hats still sound pretty awful. It works for the snare and kick allright tho.

Velocities and multi-layered samples always help of course. I pretty much do everything I can to prevent that annoying repetitive phased sound. I randomize a little bit of an error margin with quantization so that not all hits are perfectly on the beat, I also randomize a little bit of amplitude, pitch and also velocity. Anyhow, I'm not sure what you're using for sequencing/sampling the drums, but I would recommend using Battery or Halion or somesuch sampler that gives the versatility to do these things easily.

By the way, how would you go about drawing in the velocity line with the pen tool on Cubase SX2?