San Francisco show report

Just out of curiousity (and forgive my ignorance if this has already been clarified elsewhere), but does anyone actually know what the set-times will be like on the DT/SX shows? The reason I ask is that when I saw DT and Queensryche together, they both played for about the same amount of time (I'd say it was the same give or take 15 minutes)....but then again that was a bit different because it was a co-headlining tour and both bands are fairly big. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of SX's sets being just as long over there as they are here. Afterall, DT isn't doing the uber-long "evening with" sets on this tour so I don't see why it'd be impossible for SX to get some decent set-time.

That being said, I see where people like V-lizzy are coming from....I saw SX open for queensryche back in 2004 and they literally only had a 30-40 minute set, which was kind of a bummer because (as much as I love Queensryche) I went to that show for SX.

Ok, but Im not into nonsence. Somehow I would'nt feel very smart leaving a show half way through but if a point needs to be proved ....... prove it. Im sure Dream Theater fans will appreaciate the extra breathing room and then you'll be able to proudly say "I just know they suck so I left ....." and feel all important and stuff and hows that ? ..... they are "imitation" ? > OK .....

Symphony X was not on the stage that long here. I was surprised when they said "this is the last song". I knew they were coming back out with Odyssey and thats fairly long but still I would have rather had a longer Symphony X show and lived without that 3rd band with the "singer" that couldnt sing. Which we did take a break during and went outside for some fresh air and conversation that was far better than the music.

Hardest worked show I have seen was Queesnryche doing Mindcrime I & II complete with three encore songs. No opening act. Maybe one day Symphony X would be well enough known to do something like this but I doubt it, being how prog metal just gets no luv and is not "nu", "hardcore" (lol), nor new anymore. I believe these progressive bands need to tour together to draw the larger crowds and get more exposure plus things will only be getting harder as they are now becoming old school and older bands.

Moshing ? I find it interesting that people with issues can show up to a show and dominate the section closest to the band when they are not even there to watch. I think they should stay at home and mosh around their parents house destroying all the furniture ... or wouldnt that draw enough attention ?

To Razoredge

I'm not going to stick around for shit bands. You're a retard dude for belittling people for not wanting to waste their valuable time.

edit: In fact, i just read your entire post and that's the biggest lump of crap i've ever seen. I'll stop there before it gets mean and i hurt your poor feelings :(

Well I have never once been to a concert where people weren't moshing. Even at Sonata and Blind Guardian people were moshing. When I seen Symphony X at Gigantour they were moshing, even for Dream Theater. It's like a trademark of metal shows, it's the dance of metal. You can't go to a metal show and get pissed off at people moshing. You're supposed to expect it. It's like going to see a comedian and then getting mad when he makes a joke that offends you. I think the show is way less interesting when people sit there with boring looks on their faces. The band wants to know that you're into the music. Why go to show and not dance is some sort of way? Dancing the only reason I see for going to a live show. You might as well just stay home and listen to the CD, because there's absolutely no difference.

PLEASE show up and try to mosh at a show I'm at. I guarantee you'll go home missing some flesh, or maybe even an eye. Zach knows the mosher's creed, but you seem to have no respect for ANYBODY around you at a show. Do this when I'm there, and not even the pit will be able to protect you. Maybe you won't think it's so cool when somebody stomps your ass!

:lol: now a few of the lasts posts were very funny, Im so impressed ....

Anyhow - lizzy, only time will tell what kind of set Symphony X plays in Europe. I'll look forward to Europe updates. I was just glad to get to see Symphony X too and was surprised they were playing such a small place. Like I said these kinds of bands just dont get the luv and are reduced to these little clubs, at least around here. I have no idea what the size of the places are elsewhere. I would have figured them for one of our smaller theaters rather than a juice joint but I liked that better, more intimate and you can step outside, walk around, ect. Its just that I know from the crowd size they didnt make any money. Somehow it seems these bands would give Europe a good show, as far as I know this type of metal and power metal have their largest following in Europe. Here in the states everyone goes for the more commercial bands, and real Metal is fading

I saw Dream Theater only once and that was in 92 and they did all of Images and Words and a few from When Dream and Day Unite. So In your instance I would be a bit bothered that both bands did a short show, I mean I would hope for at least 1.5 hours out of both with encore leading to two hours for closers. I cant believe they are having an additional band, thats what would piss me off, not two of the greatest prog bands playing one venue TOGETHER. How someone can like S X and not D T is beyond me. So similar yet with enough difference to not get bored. They are like two arms on the same body to me. I went in 92 because I was so impressed with their music, and payed little attention to anything but the playing. I see on part of a video I saw recently they are not much in the showmanship department, noticed the same thing about Petrucci in the G3 video too. But ......... its all about the music to me.

The first two bands were worth the price of admission ($18) and Symphony X was a bonus. Hell you pay 6-8-10 bucks around here just to get in to see a cover/dance band that have day jobs. $18 to see three -.25 professional acts on the road playing their ass's off for peanuts, I felt guilty. Thats the price of a CD, not the real live, in your face, here they are, the band youve been waiting for, maybe once in a lifetime experience.

Well enjoy your show, regardless. Sorry you have such a torturous closing act I would gladly trade your show for ours.

To Razoredge

I'm not going to stick around for shit bands. You're a retard dude for belittling people for not wanting to waste their valuable time.

edit: In fact, i just read your entire post and that's the biggest lump of crap i've ever seen. I'll stop there before it gets mean and i hurt your poor feelings :(

*sigh*
One week ban for insults. C'mon, Zach, you know better.

Its OK Jax, Im a little sharp around the edges anyhow and that one didnt even come close to touching my shoulder. Progressive Metal is not the only art form that paints a picture. I wouldnt want anyone banned on my account nor threads closed due to heated debate/opinion with the one line hecklers thrown in the mix.

Not to mention everything he said was true. And JDub, I totally agree with that point on moshing... it can be cool and fun, but some people take it upon themselves to be jerkoffs and they have no place being there.

Interesting that you have Oculus on that setlist. I was at the show in Seattle and though people were cheering "Intro tape! Intro Tape" as the band was hiding behind all the gear, they just went straight for Set the World on Fire. I wonder if they were having technical difficulties with it.

I was there. LOL at the gay parade happening down the street. That's San Francisco for ya.

I wondered why there so many guys walking around without shirts on when I was driving by. Oh yeah! What was the name of that club they were at "The Leather Nut Sack" :lol:

Sounds awesome, however the moshing idea bothers me... CHANT, put your arms in the air, sing along... Don't mosh, moshing is for noobs, and people who don't wanna do that shit get involved and hurt! I was right in the middle of some kids moshing once, and I didn't go anywhere, being 6'5 300lbs...If I'm ever at another show and I got moshed on or around, you're all going down!