San Francisco show -- Slim's or The Pound SF?

Originally posted by Triste
I live in Oakland....and I would have to disagree with you saying that the local scene is crappy...I mean...with all of the closures of clubs that have gone on the past couple of years (the CW Saloon being the most recent)...there's still a very strong scene going on...you just have to know where to look for it.

A few bands of notable attention that have been playing around are:

LUDICRA ( www.ludicra.org )
ASUNDER
HAYDN
ARTIFICIUM SANGUIS
INSIDIOUS

and of course the bigger bands that we get to see play like:
HIGH ON FIRE
IMPALED
EXHUMED
NEUROSIS
AMBER ASYLUM

I dunno....I just count myself lucky that I live in this area because touring bands usually come here and we have a really good scene...great shows (did anyone go to the Beyond the Pale fest recently?)...cool people...Look at it this way....at least we don't live in the MidWest somewhere! :lol:

Holy crap, KC is that you? Nice pic with Sixx!~

Originally posted by pac1288
Yeah it is surprising when you see somebody here thats from Santa Cruz. There is one other person that browses this forum that is also from the Santa Cruz area. Well its interesting to say the least thats for sure.

I wonder if they mean me...although i'm originally from San Francisco.

As far as the Opeth show goes, they are definitely playing at the Pound SF. It is all ages BUT because of this, no one under 21 can have in/out priveledges. It's $14 before the day of the show. Anyone who goes to any shows around here (or a great many in LA) will know me. I say hi to all of you! I'm the photographer with the LONG blonde hair. If anyone sees me there, come say hi! I will post more about the scene and different bands later (when I'm not at work LOL). I've been in the music industry for 13 years now here and I work with Swedish Metal as well. It's going to be a great show!!!

Just curious. Who has there tickets already for this show(San Francisco -The Pound)

I got mine recently, so my anticipation is pretty high now. I just hope the concert comes through.

I'm figuring he means barring any unusual circumstances...The last time they played here, there were rumors that they cancelled at the last minute...so...

...and I'll be at the Pound...just got my tickets tonight! :D

You can purchase tickets to the show through the pound's website by clicking on their "Buy Tickets" section. I already got mine!

By the way I thought I saw someone running around on the UC Santa Cruz campus with a Blackwater park long-sleeve shirt on...that wouldnt happen to be anyone on this list would it? I thought this place was too hippie to have any metal fans. People are too busy protesting the war on iraq and fighting male oppression to be gloomy and depressed. What a waste.

What's the Pound like as a venue? And by that, I mean, can you see, can you avoid the "pit" if you choose to, do they serve beer, how's the sound, getting in, neighborhood, etc.?

I'll be in SF for business the week Opeth is there and I'm going with a friend of mine, so I'm just curious...thx in advance.

MARKGUGS!!!! hiya buddy! Long time no talk! You MUST call me when you get here! I have that Tuesday and Wednesday off of that week, then I took that Saturday, Sunday and Monday off so I could go to the Southern CA shows. It'd be great to finally meet you!

Okay, so the Pound... it is in a VERY bad bad neighborhood. It is industrial, but if you go up to the main street and drive around, it is SUPER bad. Drug deals and liquor stores all over... The big parking lot across the street from the Pound, I'll come out of the club and see a drug deal going on. As long as you don't go near the people or stare, you're ok. But for me as a girl, it's quite dangerous to go around by myself. You can fit 450 people inside, but I've been there when they squashed 650 in there. The sound is quite good, but there is no photo pit, the stage is just up to my thighs and I'm only 5'4". They serve lots of beer, you can buy a little bit of food (which is good, btw)... You can get burgers, veggie burgers, fries, chicken burger I think, and a couple other things. You can only avoid the pit if you stand in the back 1/3 of the club. It's like a box, so it's hard to avoid it sometimes. Be careful when you have a drink or they spill it. But during Opeth itself, there shouldn't be a pit, and if there is, not for very long. Getting in is a pain in the arse for normal people... You have to stand outside and it's ALWAYS freezing and windy. There is no coat check inside either, but they are working on that. They made the stage a bit bigger, so if you saw them last time they played, it's bigger than that stage. The pool table is gone too. The drinks are not expensive and you can buy earplugs at the bar if you forget them. Anything else?

Originally posted by markgugs
What's the Pound like as a venue? And by that, I mean, can you see, can you avoid the "pit" if you choose to, do they serve beer, how's the sound, getting in, neighborhood, etc.?

I'll be in SF for business the week Opeth is there and I'm going with a friend of mine, so I'm just curious...thx in advance.

The Pound is a pretty cool club. Pretty much every touring metal band plays there. Yes, you can avoid a pit, it's a decent sized venue. They have a full bar. The sound is KILLER. They usually selll the show out to full capacity (especially when it's a bigger band) so expect to be packed like sardines. THere's one little corral where you can smoke if you want to. THey serve food (their seasoned fries are good..) It's located in a pretty industrial part of the city...it's pretty far from anything so you should most definitely drive there...

Hope this is good!
:)