San Francisco show -- Slim's or The Pound SF?

Originally posted by Squeak
Yes, that all happened during Arch Enemy. I did get quite squashed during Hate Eternal too and I tried to get out once then, but I couldn't. All of this happened because Angela has to be a rock star. Stupid. Whatever. The show was sold out/oversold. There were 620 people in there. I have been there when even MORE people were there, during Morbid Angel/Deicide (talk about HELL trying to stay in front, which I did, the WHOLE set, BOTH days!) and also during Manowar/Immortal (650 people were at that show).

Wow... I don't think I can imagine more people at the pound... At least after AE was done, the place kinda cleared out... there was a lot more room when Nile played. I'm sorry, you probably weren't feeling too terriffic by then. :(

Now I don't know if I'm going to Opeth or not... They're pretty good, but I was really wanting to see Lacuna Coil. :cry:

Yes, it is possible for more people to be squashed in there. It was so friggin' hot you couldn't breathe, ESPECIALLY for Manowar. I had no idea people cleared out after Arch Enemy. After I got pulled out of the front, they took me backstage because I couldn't stand. Eric (Hate Eternal/ex-Morbid Angel) came to me as well as the new singer for Nile to help me. One of the other Nile guys got me a chair. And this is while the Nile boys were getting stuff ready because Arch Enemy only had 25 minutes left of their show! I thought that was INCREDIBLY cool. And I must say, Arch Enemy NEVER did ANYTHING... They didn't come to say hi in the backstage, to see if I was okay or anything. I totally dispise Angela for the stuff she did and what made me get hurt in the first place, but for the REST of the members to be like that, that really hurt. I couldn't think less of them now. One of my photographer friends came backstage to see if I was okay and after a while, I shoved him back out there so he could take pictures since I couldn't. My friend Joey pushed his way into the backstage area (he had no pass) to see if I was alright. He was damned cool because he missed Nile to help me. He drove me home in my car since I couldn't see straight and his girlfriend followed us in his car. I live in Berkeley and they live in Santa Rosa, so that was WAY out of the way for them. I was totally indebted to them.

I really do think you should go see Opeth. They are very good live. If you like their cds, you'd like them live. Paradise Lost is also very, very good. I have never had the chance to see them live, but I like all the cds I have of theirs. I have never seen Tapping The Vein yet. Lacuna Coil was only one part of the tour, albeit a good part, but Opeth is in my opinion better at least as good live, if not better. Just think of if you really like Opeth cds, that will help you decide.

No problem pac...too bad he feels too uncomfortable to go up w/ strangers...most people in Santa Cruz hitchhike anyways. He'll miss out on a great show. But I totally understand, i get racked on by "metal" fans all the time for wearing JCrew sweaters, so i can see how someone might feel out of their element by attending shows with metal people. Im hoping that the people at the Opeth show will be more tolerable (We're all open-minded people here right? :) ) of that kinda stuff cuz I can assure you I have received no mercy at other metal shows and in record stores for dressing the way I dress. Perhaps I will just wear my Still life t so i dont get my ass beat...

Yicjdic, I would still suggest you wear your still life shirt. :) Just so you don't get stared down. People in the Bay Area metal scene are not too open-minded... There are a few of us out there, but not many. Me personally? I am about the most open-minded music person you can think of. And my collection proves it lol. I don't base people on how they look or what they wear (unless it is blatantly obvious they are a groupie trying to get "in" with the band because they're band members). Music is music.

Originally posted by Squeak
Yes, it is possible for more people to be squashed in there. It was so friggin' hot you couldn't breathe, ESPECIALLY for Manowar. I had no idea people cleared out after Arch Enemy. After I got pulled out of the front, they took me backstage because I couldn't stand. Eric (Hate Eternal/ex-Morbid Angel) came to me as well as the new singer for Nile to help me. One of the other Nile guys got me a chair. And this is while the Nile boys were getting stuff ready because Arch Enemy only had 25 minutes left of their show! I thought that was INCREDIBLY cool. And I must say, Arch Enemy NEVER did ANYTHING... They didn't come to say hi in the backstage, to see if I was okay or anything. I totally dispise Angela for the stuff she did and what made me get hurt in the first place, but for the REST of the members to be like that, that really hurt. I couldn't think less of them now. One of my photographer friends came backstage to see if I was okay and after a while, I shoved him back out there so he could take pictures since I couldn't. My friend Joey pushed his way into the backstage area (he had no pass) to see if I was alright. He was damned cool because he missed Nile to help me. He drove me home in my car since I couldn't see straight and his girlfriend followed us in his car. I live in Berkeley and they live in Santa Rosa, so that was WAY out of the way for them. I was totally indebted to them.

I really do think you should go see Opeth. They are very good live. If you like their cds, you'd like them live. Paradise Lost is also very, very good. I have never had the chance to see them live, but I like all the cds I have of theirs. I have never seen Tapping The Vein yet. Lacuna Coil was only one part of the tour, albeit a good part, but Opeth is in my opinion better at least as good live, if not better. Just think of if you really like Opeth cds, that will help you decide.

Yeah, I know that people get hurt in the front like that, but it sounds like you got it worse than most would have. :( That's pretty f'n rude of then not to check on you or even say hi. I'm glad you had friends to help you. I'm surprised nobody in the crowd tried to help you either.

I do have Still Life, Deliverance and My Arms Your Hearse... and although I'm more into the brutal death and the old school thrash scene, I think I'm more of a fan of Lacuna Coil. Go figure. :)

And as for those Groupie Fans you mention... I love watching them after the show, running around trying to shake everyone's hands... :lol: I guess I was like that once apon a time, but being a musician in the scene here, I know what it's like after the show... I show my appreciation by buying a ticket, pitting and buying a shirt or two from the stand, and leaving them alone after the show is done. :)

What exactly DID Angela do that gets you so mad anyways?

The groupies that I talk about that annoy me are the chics that wear SUPER slutty clothes, do not know anything about the band or it's music, but because these guys are band members, they MUST "do" someone that night, ESPECIALLY if it's a really famous band. That's a true definition of a groupie and I hate them. They give people like me a bad name or I get stereotyped. I'm not talking about the "fans" (they're not groupies) that wait to talk to a band after the show. They're just fans excited to see bands that they never thought would be possible for them to see.

You don't have Blackwater Park? I'm suprised. That's a great album. But Still Life is very good, too. I guess I won't be seeing you at the show then. Will you go to Nile/Napalm Death/Dark Tranquillity/Strapping Young Lad/The Berzerker/Voivod onFriday the 24th at the Pound? I'll be at that one too.

The only reason I had to go IN the front instead of on the side of the stage is because Angela didn't want ANYONE on the sides of the stage (where it's technically the backstage, but everyone is right there) because she didn't want anyone harrassing her. I was like, I'm a GIRL!!! What the hell am I going to do to her? I guess she had some guy or guys harrass her at a show maybe a couple days before ours. But dude, if you dress like she does, DEAL WITH IT. I get harrassed all the time. Does that stop me? NO. Do I make other people suffer? NO. If she can't handle it, DON'T PUT YOURSELF IN THE SPOTLIGHT OR DRESS LIKE THAT. Friggin' stupid. THAT'S why I am peeved at her. She took NO consideration for anyone else or their safety AND the fact that I was trying to cover them for Swedish Metal. NOT smart. And then to ignore the fact I got hurt? REALLY not smart.

Ah, those kind of groupies... :lol: I thought those were the good ones? :eek:

No, I don't have Blackwater Park... It's on my "buy" list... but then again there's a LOT on that list.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to that... it's still a ways away. I usually decide to go on a moments notice. I'll definitely be there for Nile/DT, so if I see ya, I'll pull ya into the pit... muahhhaahah... j/k

Yeah, that's pretty screwed up of them not to let people on the sides during the show. Even if something did happen "a few shows before", that shouldn't change anything. :( That's just part of the business.

That really sucks. That must be a hard stereotype to have to overcome. :(

Actually, that's one of the reasons I never talk to the perfomrers after a concert... I'm not the all-excited to meet people type, and I don't want to be confused with the "excited fan"... cause I know how some musicians laugh about them behind their backs...

Actually, even heard a story about how a couple of members from AE treated this one girl and her friend, used them for a ride, though they were cool and hung out with them for a few hours before the show at some resturaunt, but they kinda treated them like shit, and the girls lovingly took it.

So, I generally never bother, even when it's the pound, and everyone you'd see there is generally accessible....

Triste, if I can't find you there, find me okay??? I've never known ANY band members doing stuff like you just described, xeno. Only if it's for, ahem, "doing" purposes. But rides, etc. no. I've seen it happen a few times to other people, but I don't personally know band members like that. Probably because they know I'd kick their butts. hehehe I also agree with Triste on the "knowing the music and talking about it" thing. I'll take for example, a band that was here last year who I'm now ver good friends with. I won't name names. Well, their tour manager was also a very old friend of mine. I was sitting talking to three of the members at the merch both. I guess they saw me as just a journalist. After my interview with them, they said, "are you going to stay for the show?". I was like, I own EVERY album of yours INCLUDING under your old band name and demos!!! Their jaws dropped. I busted out my cd covers. Could their jaws drop any farther??? So I asked them what they would play. They were in shock. LOL This tends to happen a LOT to me.

Well, the girl I was chatting with even had pictures... If you want to stop being confused with them, you could dress much less spectacular. ;) :p

I don't dress spectacular... I just don't wear typical band t-shirts (unless it's a babydoll). That's not why I get stereotyped though. It's because I have a lot of band member friends and because I interview the other bands I don't know. They see me around them and automatically assume. Not cool.

Hmm.... well in the pictures you've posted, you surely don't dress like a casual fan. Sorry if you don't like that assessment, but it kinda strikes me as funny...

I had a friend who used to get really dressed up, spaghetti strat tank, showing tummy, tight skirt, and 4" heels, to go to the mall, and guys would be staring and drooling all over the place... she'd get all pissed off and say "those assholes are staring at me"... she never seemed to understand that if she just dressed down a bit, people wouldn't be staring at her like that or treat her the way that they did.

So, to sum it all up, if you're going to dress kinda sexy, you're going to have to put up with the stereotypes, regardless whether if you fit into that or not.

Sad but true.